Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilots license

Who has one?
    What does it cost to get one/ no instrument rated?
    How much does it cost to rent a small 4 seater single engine plane per hour?

Interested, this is on my "to do" list.

Comment

I got mine 10 years ago. $100/wet with instructor in a Cessna 172. It's probably quite a bit more now. I paid about $7000 to get my private license.

Comment

I've got a buddy going through it now. I think he said 5-7K

Comment

You will need a minimum of 40 hours and probably closer to 50
          If you get all those hours by renting a plane you will likely spend on average 150-160 per hour plane and instructor. But it could be as much as 180-200.
          BUT, you can take as long as needed although you should plan on at least a few hours a week if possible.
          I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you buy a plane. That way you have 1 monthly payment instead of rental payment everytime youwant to fly. Good training planes can be had for 15-30k
          I have owned 3 planes and all three combined didnt reach 27 k.
          All i care about is that its safely operational.
          Finding an indipendant instructor rather than a big flight school may decrease the cost some

Comment

If you figure on flying with just 2 people most of the time you can look into sport pilot license.
            Go to both EAA.org
            And AOPA.com and find the training or getting started tabs. Both sites have lots of info. On getting started on the path. And i believe have list of jnstructors by zip code

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              You will need a minimum of 40 hours and probably closer to 50
              If you get all those hours by renting a plane you will likely spend on average 150-160 per hour plane and instructor. But it could be as much as 180-200.
              BUT, you can take as long as needed although you should plan on at least a few hours a week if possible.
              I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you buy a plane. That way you have 1 monthly payment instead of rental payment everytime youwant to fly. Good training planes can be had for 15-30k
              I have owned 3 planes and all three combined didnt reach 27 k.
              All i care about is that its safely operational.
              Finding an indipendant instructor rather than a big flight school may decrease the cost some
              Wow, good info here. Thanks. Question now though is how much does it cost to keep a plane at an airport and how much is the maintenance and fuel? For fuel, I mean how much per hour is it going to cost to operate? And insurance too?

Comment

Been a few years since i bought insurance but for a basic plane its in the 600-800 a year i believe but goes down with your increased experiance.
                Fuel was about 25% more than pump gas a year and a half ago. Been a year since i bought any but would guess its about that now. But depends on where your at.
                I would guess operating cost is in the neighborhood of 50-60 per hour.
                Most planes burn in the neighborhood of 8-10 gal hour fuel @ $3-6 per gal. Then alittle set aside for maint. Plane sitting outside will cost nothing- $50 per month
                Hangers 150-300 or more depending on the airport.

Comment

Keep in mind that it has been a few years since i walked into a flight school and talked with anyone and at least a year since i bought fuel so i could be way off

Comment

used to own a Cherokee warrior fun airplane to fly ---sold it and wanting a Maule

Comment

Id love a Maule with big tires

Comment

is there a website you recommend for finding a decent plane in that 15k range? or where do you look to buy one?

Comment

Controller.com for everything from a Cessna 152 to a former Soviet jet fighter plane.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanTiger View Post
                            is there a website you recommend for finding a decent plane in that 15k range? or where do you look to buy one?
                            Aircraft for sale. Find the best new and used aircraft for sale such as business jets, helicopters, Experimental, Warbirds and more.

controller.com

Comment

Cessna 150,152,172
                              Piper cherokee 140,160,180
                              All good basic planes.
                              Grumman lynx, cheeta

On barnstormers click browse then cessna on left side then select a plane class, 150,152 etc

Comment

Working...
                              X