No announcement yet.

Richland Creek WMA Duck Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hunted Sat. Got in on standby for youth/adult with my oldest son and a buddy. We were pick 23 of 24 so we got a leftover unit. Still knocked down 12 between three of us. Wish it would have been a 2-day hunt like most normal weekends I bet this artic blast brought in some new birds. As it was, I hunted in shorts and a dry-fit camo shirt under my waders and was still sweating after walking in the marsh.

Comment

Originally posted by coachmas View Post
      We hunted Sat. Got in on standby for youth/adult with my oldest son and a buddy. We were pick 23 of 24 so we got a leftover unit. Still knocked down 12 between three of us. Wish it would have been a 2-day hunt like most normal weekends I bet this artic blast brought in some new birds. As it was, I hunted in shorts and a dry-fit camo shirt under my waders and was still sweating after walking in the marsh.
      Good to hear they got some new birds down out there with this front. I am hunting out there the 8th and 9th. Hoping we have a good shoot on Ssaturday. Sunday is always a bit of a crap shoot as the birds get scared pretty quickly out there with that many groups shooting. What unit did you end up hunting?

Comment

Don't overlook hunting the first holes inside the gate. When the shooting starts in the back all the birds come forward. There is a reason those holes are empty when you are coming out of the back. The guys in the front have limited out and went home.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          Don't overlook hunting the first holes inside the gate. When the shooting starts in the back all the birds come forward. There is a reason those holes are empty when you are coming out of the back. The guys in the front have limited out and went home.
          Agreed. We hunted towards the front on Sat. And watched birds pitch into an area just over the levee from us further up front.

We hunted 13 West. Too bad this youth/adult hunt was only one day. I bet Sunday could have been fantastic with the front pushed through.

Comment

Thanks for the info and bumping this back up guys, we are looking forward to our hunt this weekend.

Comment

Easily the most groups I have seen show up for standby today. 36 standby groups for 7 spots because they split several units. On the bright side, this might be the most birds I have ever seen here thanks to the front. Birds completely covering every unit. I was 18th pick so I didn't get one of my usual units and had to go with one I've never hunted before. It might be a bit tough due to lack of cover to adequately conceal me and my dog but we will make it work. Hoping the rain holds off a little for tomorrow morning and we all have a great hunt.

Comment

Let’s get it.

Comment

If you can’t kill ducks there you can’t kill them anywhere! That marsh is covered up with birds. Good luck

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Ended up with 4 teal this morning. My unit has pretty limited cover to setup in so we ended up with some very sporting crossing shots. Had a ton of teal passing through like cruise missiles but managed to connect with a few to give this knucklehead of a Chesapeake some work. He earned is name today during the slow periods by pulling the grass off the front edge of his blind into the blind so he could chew on them. At least he manages to keep himself entertained between flights. Got moved to a better location for tomorrow morning so we shall see what happens.
                      Attached Files

Comment

My oldest son and I got in on standby in the last position. There were 36 groups for standby on Friday and they took 7 groups. The biologist said it was the most ever for standby.

We got whatever area was left, but it ended up being a great spot for us. Finished a 2-man limit by 8am and beat any heavy rain that might move in. We weren’t selective this morning on the birds. Ended with gadwall, teal, shoveler, and a ring neck. My old girl did great today. I know the number of hunts left in her is limited and try to enjoy each retrieve she makes. She did awesome. I had to handle her on a couple. She might not see as good as she used to or go has hard, but she still has drive and remembers the whistle and “over” call.

*side note: my son hasn’t liked shooting an SBE II that I won last year at a DU banquet and has been shooting my old SX2. So today I shot the SBE II for the first time. Killed my 6 ducks on 9 shots. Just had to mess with him a little. Ha!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by coachmas; 01-08-2022, 04:00 PM. Reason: Pic added

Comment

We did pretty good. Big ducks wouldn’t really decoy due to no wind for most us of the hunt except for 1 green head and 1 pintail. Still a fun shoot.
                          [IMG] picture hosting sites[/IMG]
                          My buddies birds

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                            We did pretty good. Big ducks wouldn’t really decoy due to no wind for most us of the hunt except for 1 green head and 1 pintail. Still a fun shoot.
                            My buddies birds
                            Nice hunt, great pics too.

Comment

They decoyed better today with the wind blowing.
                              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I agree. They worked better for us as well. We weren’t very patient this morning though. Ended with our 2-man limit by 8:45. 6 gadwalls, 4 shovelers, 2 pintail hens.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by coachmas; 01-09-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X