Staining Cedar Fence with a Brush/Roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staining Cedar Fence with a Brush/Roller

I've got about 300' of cedar fence that needs a coat of stain. That would be a nice little project for my son.

Can you realistically stain a cedar fence and make it look good with just a roller brush/roller? All previous stain was sprayed on, but turning my son loose with a spray rig is not an option.

I’ve heard of people using pump up weed sprayers to apply stain. Not sure if that’s an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve used a roller for staining cedar. It worked fine. Granted, it wasn’t 300’ foot of fence...it was a new porch roof/cover. But it looks good, just takes a bit to make sure the stain gets in all of the crevices of the cedar

Comment

I used ready seal to darken up the cedar around my house. It went on pretty well with a large paint brush.

Comment

I bought this and it worked out great. I'll be using it for other outdoor staining projects.

Comment

For all of my exterior cedar I use Cabot’s Australian oil

Comment

WoodRX

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far. May look into this cheap rig. He'd only have to worry about overspray on about 50' of the fence and I could help him there. Of course, part of me likes the thought of him out there staining that much fence with a brush.

Originally posted by southtx View Post
                I used ready seal to darken up the cedar around my house. It went on pretty well with a large paint brush.

Comment

I stained mine with a cheap pump up sprayer from Atwood's. I was able to cut it ~ 50% with thinner with no ill effects to the color.

Comment

I used this in the redwoods stain

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a roller to do my fence & cabin. Turned out great.

Comment

Use this stuff nothing but glowing reviews.
                        Official TWP Stain Website and Home of TWP & Gemini Products. TWP Wood and Deck Stain Sealer. Preservative for Exterior Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                          I bought this and it worked out great. I'll be using it for other outdoor staining projects.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Sprayt...4&sr=8-29&th=1

That’s what I bought and wouldn’t do it any other way.

I also used the Ready Seal stain. Wouldn’t use anything else on my cedar.
                          Last edited by BW412; 07-09-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Should look at www.wooddefender.com. It’s the best there is in fence stain imo.

Comment

I have one of these

Shop Graco LTS 17 Electric Stationary Airless Paint Sprayer at Lowe's.com. The Graco Project Series sprayers make it easy for avid DIY homeowners and handymen to power through small to midsize jobs with speed and finesse. DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X