X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
    Looking at this one at Lowes right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Learning curve on the P setting, and temperature setting.
    I use a P of 4, 225 degree setting, and the hood thermometer will read 250. When the auger runs the temp will go up briefly. I'm going to buy more thermometers to measure meat temperature. I think the thermometer that displays the reading shown on the control panel is in a bad position. It's just a matter of learning the thing.
    Instructions are poor.

Comment

Just gonna drop this here for those that think pellet smokers don’t smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

Just gonna drop this here for those that think pellet smokers don’t smoke.

Looks super good!

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
          They're extremely convenient and lots of people are making other options than the Traegar but none of them are going to have the smoke flavor of a real pit. You should know that before buying any of them. You can buy all the accessories, additional smoke tubes, and different pellets you want but it's never going to be the same. If you are a BBQ purist you won't like it.
          Man...all kinds of false here. (Sorry, Bobby!)We have a Rec Tec (570 Stampede) and it gets just as much smoke flavor as a stick burner. We WERE purists, until we got this thing. It will hold temp within a degree, but is usually spot-on. I researched the crap out of all the brands and kept coming back to Rec Tec. It's awesome.

Comment

I have a lowly Masterbuilt and my stuff tastes great. Of course no smoke ring, which has no flavor. LOL.

Comment

I'm getting one after I review this thread after deciding which one to get.

Which ones do y'all recommend? I'm wanting one that I can smoke with and also grill steaks on if I want. Any info would he great and thanks!

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
              I have the pit boss Austin. It has been pretty good. Plus it has the option to open flame your steaks. It will really just come down to if you want to spend $2500 and up or 5-600. Whichever one you get make sure it sits level so grease drains right.
              I have Pit Boss Austin also.

Yea, wanting to stay in the $500-$700 range. Something that will do a 13 pd brisket or fit a few racks of ribs.

PB Austin fits the bill. It looks like the one posted above. I can do 4 St Louis cut racks of ribs at once. I can only grill a couple of steaks at once though and have good control of them. There maybe better out there, but it works for me as I haven't had another brand. $499 at Walmart or Atwoods

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
              On the pit boss 440. What is the P set above the temps for/mean?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
              P setting controls the time of pellet dump while the settings is in "Smoke". The higher the number the longer between pellet dumps(cooler). Mine defaults to 4 and I usually set it to 1 or 2 during cooler weather.
              Last edited by hpdrifter; 02-09-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Don’t buy cabelas brand. Used it once and it was great used it a second time today I ruined a brisket. Didn’t maintain temps. Flare ups. Shut off on its own. Total junk

Comment

I have a Green Mountain it’s ok. I should have waited and bought a Yoder, they cook way better.

Comment

I have a Louisiana Grill i won in a Atascocita High school baseball raffle, its the 8 in 1 pellet grill/smoker.. Model LG900c1 has a cold smoker on the side.
                    If interested ,i'll make you a deal. i already have a smoker i like.. still in the box, but i could send pics of box. Gonna be posting i on here before to long
                    Last edited by day0082; 02-09-2019, 07:25 PM. Reason: wording.

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
                      They're extremely convenient and lots of people are making other options than the Traegar but none of them are going to have the smoke flavor of a real pit. You should know that before buying any of them. You can buy all the accessories, additional smoke tubes, and different pellets you want but it's never going to be the same. If you are a BBQ purist you won't like it. If convenience and pretty good BBQ are important, you will love them. They also don't sear steaks like a gas grill. Yoder's are nice and Traegar just resigned theirs to keep up with the competition. Traegar has amazing customer service..

I’ll have to respectfully disagree. A coworker of mine is on a competition team that travels all over the Midwest and see’s pellet grills competing and winning. These are probably high end rigs though and pretty pricey.

Searing steaks is overrated. On your pellet grill try smoking your steak for about 25 minutes. Remove the meat, crank up your grill to the highest setting and when the grill is ready, put the steaks on and cook to your desired temp. I usually flip them once so I get the grill marks on each side. Wood fired steak with a little smokey goodness is hard to beat. I stopped using my gas grill entirely once I got my pellet grill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pit boss from Cabela’s. I love the thing and am smoking a brisket and chicken and green beans right now. It’s vertical one. Love the pellet thing.

Comment

you get what you pay for in regards to Yoder and top brands compared to GMG/Trager etc. I have the GMG. I never did the stick burner so I can't comment on the difference in smoke. My GMG has plenty of smoke paired with the Amazin tray. Folks don't complain when they come over and the food is gone before they leave. A pellet grill is an outdoor oven. Set the temp and it will stay within a few degrees depending on the make. The more expensive ones will hold actual temp better and typically can get hotter to actually grill. GMG only goes up to 500 or 550. I have moved to cast iron for steaks so it doesn't bother me much, but would if I didn't make the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
                            On the pit boss 440. What is the P set above the temps for/mean?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have a Pit Boss as well... P setting is for Precise Temp setting. The lower the number on the P set the higher temp it will run on that temp setting. Basically on smoke setting... if I have on 0-1 P setting it will run around 225 or so as I go higher I lose probably 10 degrees per P setting increase. I hope that makes sense

Comment

I'm getting one after I review this thread after deciding which one to get.

Which ones do y'all recommend? I'm wanting one that I can smoke with and also grill steaks on if I want. Any info would he great and thanks!

Pit boss is a great starter pellet grill and I will say that the flavor on my grilling has gotten 10 times better. Most of the time I do everything on the smoke setting for about 15 mins then finish off on the temp I want... every time I do a brisket my Dad gets irritated on how they can taste so good without the effort

Comment

I'm in the market for one now. I have a buddy that really likes his GMG.
                                Johnny, which one did you end up going with and how do you like it?

Comment

Working...
                                X