Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Any caliber that will effectively kill a whitetail will kill a Nilgai.
    I'd use a 7mm-08 or a .25-06.
    A heavier bullet or more energy isn't going to put one down that's hit in the muscle.
    Very tight and low on a broadside shot. Slightly quartering away is ideal, more so you don't have to blow up the delicious shoulder with a well placed broadside shot.
    . . . or eland.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      Any caliber that will effectively kill a whitetail will kill a Nilgai.
      I'd use a 7mm-08 or a .25-06.
      A heavier bullet or more energy isn't going to put one down that's hit in the muscle.
      Very tight and low on a broadside shot. Slightly quartering away is ideal, more so you don't have to blow up the delicious shoulder with a well placed broadside shot.

Huh...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot this one years ago with a 35 whelen.
        Attached Files

Comment

.22 to the ear is my go to, but some people don’t have the nerves for it.

Comment

AR 10 in 375 Raptor, shooting 260 Accubonds

Comment

Originally posted by mkguthrie View Post
              Shot this one years ago with a 35 whelen.
              Nice bull.... might have to look into the 35 Whelen a little more. A 30-06 necked up to 35 cal and pushing a 225 gr bullet.

Comment

I am going in March, and I plan to take my 7 mag shooting a Federal Premium 165 grain Sierra Game King.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                  I am going in March, and I plan to take my 7 mag shooting a Federal Premium 165 grain Sierra Game King.
                  I would go with a bonded bullet, 160 gr Nosler accubond, 175 gr Partition, or similar. Definitely would not use a gameking.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                    I would go with a bonded bullet, 160 gr Nosler accubond, 175 gr Partition, or similar. Definitely would not use a gameking.
                    What's wrong with a GameKing?

Comment

Gamekings are rapid expansion type bullets. With 3/4"-1" thick hide on the neck and shoulders, heavy muscle and bone....I'd want a bonded bullet or mono-metal type (E-tip, GMX, or Barnes)

Comment

Reports of core/jacket separation. I experienced it with one of the two nilgai I killed. I recovered the jacket from the shrapnel that was left of the spine after it hit. The core exited the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                          Gamekings are rapid expansion type bullets. With 3/4"-1" thick hide on the neck and shoulders, heavy muscle and bone....I'd want a bonded bullet or mono-metal type (E-tip, GMX, or Barnes)
                          Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          Reports of core/jacket separation. I experienced it with one of the two nilgai I killed. I recovered the jacket from the shrapnel that was left of the spine after it hit. The core exited the other side.
                          There are several different rounds out there, but it's difficult to tell which is the one to use for the best combination of penetration and damage.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Winchester Expedition Big Game Long Range Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 168 Grain Nosler AccuBond LR?

Comment

Just want to reiterate that although the 300gr SGK did experience core/jacket separation that people criticize the bullet for, it penetrated as good as any other and destroyed the animal on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                              Just want to reiterate that although the 300gr SGK did experience core/jacket separation that people criticize the bullet for, it penetrated as good as any other and destroyed the animal on the spot.

So, then I wonder, would he have been deader if you used a bonded bullet?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

300 gr 375 H&H vs 165 gr 7 mag? Almost double the bullet weight and much lower velocity equals much better penetration

Comment

Working...
                                X