No announcement yet.

Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot and killed one last year with a 300WM pushing a 180gn TTSX 3,100 fps. Took out the top of the heart and lungs on a 70yrd walking shot. Bull still ran 100 yrds and the bullet did not pass through.

You can kill an elephant with a 22, but if i only have one chance and im spending money if I draw blood, i am going big.
    We had a bull shot with a 338 Lap Mag that did not pass through in my group, Also had a bull shot 4 times with a 300WbyMag and we recovered all 4 bullets.

good luck and practice elevated heart rate shooting off sticks.

Comment

Shot mine with my 375 H&H (300gr Swift A-Frame). He took one through the shoulder like a champ at 60 yds, wheeled and ran away and shot him through the top of the pelvis as he was running mach 5. Definitely an animal that you can’t really have too much gun for.

Comment

338 is a great nilgai gun. We killed dozens of them back in the day on the Kenedy Ranch down there

Comment

My pic would be the big 30s. 300 Weatherby mag to the 30-378 Wby. With at least a 200 gr Nosler Partition or Barnes TTSX. But I shot mine using a 270 and a 160 gr Nosler partition. Took a few rounds though.

Comment

.300 Weatherby mag here. 165 grain ballistic tip. take his shoulder out and he can't go far. Does about the same as .243 on whitetail. Bullet stops at the hide on opposite side. Probably could switch bullets and get an exit but I have always shot this bullet. It shows the flattest trajectory

Comment

Nilgai gun

Shot mine with a 375 Ruger. 300gr Sierra Game Kings worked well. Dropped one where she stood, and the second tried to run after being hit but didn’t make it far.

Comment

I have not had the chance to pull the trigger on a nice bull myself, but a buddy of mine who shoots at least one nice bull/year on his lease won't use anything less than a .338 or .375. I agree, it's all about shot placement and I'm sure you can knock them down with just about any caliber if placed right. As stated above, you have to take out their ability to run in order to keep the tracking distance relatively short. Good luck and hope you knock down a nice one. The meat is phenomenal!

Comment

Shot placement is definitely critical with whatever you shoot one with and the bigger the round the better. I use a 300wby with 200gr eldx, it kills on both ends.

Comment

Thanks guys a lot of good info...keep it coming.

Comment

I re-barreled a 30-06 to 35 Whelan specifically for Nilgai and bear. Haven't got to hunt one yet, but a 225 gr Accubond will be what I use. Hogs, WT and Axis have been DRT

Comment

Never hunted a nilgai but I watched an 11 year old kill a kudu, two zebra, and a blue wildebeest with a 6.5 creedmor and never need a follow up shot. Nothing ran more than 60 yards. So I’m gonna say shot placement is much more important than caliber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Any caliber that will effectively kill a whitetail will kill a Nilgai.
                          I'd use a 7mm-08 or a .25-06.
                          A heavier bullet or more energy isn't going to put one down that's hit in the muscle.
                          Very tight and low on a broadside shot. Slightly quartering away is ideal, more so you don't have to blow up the delicious shoulder with a well placed broadside shot.

Comment

My first one was taken with a 300WBY. I also have used my 7MM Express.

Comment

Originally posted by Trophy7 View Post
                              I killed mine with a 300 Win. Mag. and 180 gr. federals
                              Same here.

Comment

Shot two one with 300RUM 180gr bonded bullet worked fine, shot the second one with a 375 H&H because I wanted to, 275 gr bullet did not exit and found under the hide buldging on the opposite shoulder. They are tough, hide is thick and vitals are forward and protected by the big shoulders. They are fun to hunt, both mine shot under 150 yards walking into a good wind.

Comment

Working...
                                X