No announcement yet.

Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve shot them with.243 100gr hornady whitetail rounds and they have drt also with a 7 mag 150gr corelokts unless you have personally shot one you won’t know what really works the 06 will work great shot get a good shot placement as they are active animals and hardly stand around to take a good shot

Comment

I have not shot one but have been part of several hunts. Like every other animal, shot placement matters most. The quickest kills I've seen came from an open sight .270 (Bull) and a 22-250 (cow). I do NOT recommend the 22-250 as this was a phenomenal shot on a perfectly stationary cow by an experienced hunter who grew up hunting Nilgai. Frankly most of us are not ready to consistently make that shot and the margin for error is miniscule.

Shoot the gun you are most comfortable with using a bullet that is designed to penetrate elk. Then go to the shooting range and invest your time practicing awkward, uncomfortable, quick shots from positions you're not used to instead of worrying about the gun.

That being said, there are very few excuses for a new rifle that are better than a Nilgai hunt...haha...

Good luck and have a blast

Comment

Shot mine at 236yds with my Weatherby 30-378 w/220gr ELDX...took 10 steps. My buddy was set on shooting his with his 30-06, but had to make a deal with the guide that anything over that he’d use the guides 338 Lapua. He ended up getting behind the Lapua and letting it eat.

jrg

Comment

Originally posted by Trophy7 View Post
          I killed mine with a 300 Win. Mag. and 180 gr. federals

Same for me, this setup worked well.

Comment

My son shot his bull with a 270, Nosler partition bullet. Not sure if that would be my first choice but we were on a deer & Nilgai hunt. It did the job just fine.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not shot one and likely will not get too,, however I would most likely go with the 35 Whelen myself

Comment

I know on the King. The guide will more than likely hand you a .35 whelen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a 30.06 with 165 grain

Comment

I shot mine with a 300 win mag and it dropped him. Made a believer out of me. My boy killed a cow with a 270 and she went about 30 yards. It’s very common to shoot them and have absolutely no blood trail so I would go with something like the 300 to make tracking easier.

Comment

I've seen 3 shot with a .300Wby with 180gr partitions and not one took a step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

180 or 200gr NP in a 300mag of your choice works really well!!!

Comment

Another vote for the 35 Whelen.

Comment

I haven't had the opportunity to hunt them, but from all the research, use the biggest gun you can shoot comfortably. If I were to book a trip to the King Ranch (or somewhere similar), I'd build me a 35 Whelen or maybe a 375 (either Ruger or H&H)

Comment

My .280 AI just took down a big mature Colorado bull elk at 398 yds with a 150 grain bullet. Love this round/gun just picked it up prior to my trip

Comment

I’ve got a savage 338lapua that’s killed a couple of bulls. PM me if interested.
                                Have loading dies, cases, and 250 accubonds

Comment

Working...
                                X