No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Drop Surprise. A few years ago, I had a fellow that I somewhat owed a favor ask me if I would help him put his wife on a deer. Anything legal would do. He said she was a great shot and would hunt hard. I really figured he was just using his wife to get me to put him on one but I played along. I agreed and invited them between Christmas and new years. Late season is one of the best time to hunt pressured deer in those thickets. I had a ground blind in one of my good spots that I hadn't hunted all year and I corned it up for her and I put him in another spot....where he could see a long way and watch does LOL.

I had to work But marked a trail and got them set up for the next day. They agreed that if they shot anything in the evening that they would just come back to my house and wait o me as they didn't know the woods. When I got home just at dark, they were there. She said she had shot at a buck but should have waited longer. She said she saw a bachelor group coming through the brush and the first one in was legal width so she shot him at 30yds. She had a shooting stick and was positive the scope was perfect. She said he looked like a 6pt and a HUGE deer was right behind him but she didn't know it until she shot. Her husband said he looked but didn't see any sign of a hit.

We ate supper and she kept saying she was sure of the shot so I got my light and said we were going back. Her man kept saying he was sure she missed. As I walked in she showed me where the deer came out and where he was standing. her husband headed over there ahead of me recklessly stomping through. I not so politely asked him to stop right where he was. I took about three steps and there was Hair, bone , and lungs blown on the ground that he had just walked past. Easy 40yd trail and I saw a white belly. He had driven his right antler into the ground but the left one looked pretty good! I walked up and picked that 6pts head up.... He was a 6pt all right! 6 on his left not counting the 5 inch drop tine and 5 on his right not counting the matching drop!

She and I had a pretty good celebration over her 6pt being a typical 11pt with double drops!!!!!! Oddly, her husband didn't seem all that well pleased when she said hers would be the largest one on their wall!

Comment

I cringed reading the part where that water head walked ahead of you lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
        I cringed reading the part where that water head walked ahead of you lol.
        Yeah....Remember he had already determined she missed before they came back to my house.

Comment

Wow... Awesome stories! Keep em coming! Can I come spend a couple hours picking your brain? I could probably learn a TON from you!

Comment

Gar Guy u may have changed the way I hunt not sure I could keep up the pace u do but there is a massive 8 caught on camera coming and going out of some of the thickest stuff u can think of. I though it was to thick to go into but maybe not. Crawling into that stuff, I always worried about the snakes I might come across. like the stories

Comment

great thread

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom II View Post
                Man if this thread doesn't get you pumped up for the approaching season, NOTHING WILL!!!
                you SHO right about that

Comment

Awesome thread!

Comment

Make Em Stir!

Years ago, toward the end of season, we would do organized drives in the many DCNF thickets. It was lots of fun with as many as 25 hunters on holidays but usually a dozen or so. We could often push really large blocks of thicket and this was one of those times that two groups of us joined up. It seems I was always in charge of placing standers and driving as I was usually tagged out by then. We would push the thick stuff shooting a pistol into the ground when we knew we had deer moving.

There was a lady with us that had a little boy. If I remember right, he was 6 but small for his age. Now this was a hunting family and its possible the kid is on this forum and 30 years old now. He had a little single shot 20 guage with the ejector broke so he only had one shoot. I put him in the best spot with his mother near by and told him not to leave that spot.

I went around and started the drive with 3 drivers. Within minutes we jumped a bunch of deer and we got them headed out. As we got closer to the end of the push, there were two shots about 10 seconds apart. A short time later there was a pistol shot ahead of me and when I got there a friend(dale) had a 16 inch 8pt that he had just finished off. Darn nice deer. I asked him about the initial two shots and he said he had only fired one and that he thought the kid had shot and turned the buck his way. I went on out and the boy was standing right where I left him. I asked if he shot and he said he had shot a big ten point but it ran off. He said that he saw some does and got ready, then he saw a big buck and was about to shoot when he saw a bigger buck coming and that's the 10pt he shot at.

He pointed where the deer was and a quick search revealed hair from the buckshot and a few flecks of blood that we trailed a short distance directly toward where the other deer was shot. I asked Dale if there was another buck and he said there was only his deer and a doe that came by him. Now we were faced with a problem. Dale had already tagged the deer yet if the boy had shot it first, it really should be his. I took the boy over to where dales deer was laying and asked him if this was the deer he shot. He took one look and said, " No Sir. The deer I shot was a 10pt. That is the first buck I saw but I knew I only had one shot so I shot the big one." I was a little surprised and didn't figure a 6 year old would really have counted points on a deer in that thicket so I asked how he knew it was a ten. He said," Well he had three up on the side next to me". That sure sounded like he knew what he saw.

We made another search while dale drug his deer out but couldn't find any further blood and in my heart I really believed he shot the same deer as dale. In the meantime, Dales brother had joined the hunt late and didn't know which way we were pushing so he had stopped at the other end and was walking to us through the thicket. We were waiting on him and he knew nothing of the events. Suddenly he yelled, "HEY HERES A BUCK!" I yelled, "How many points?" "TEN!"

That kid started saying, I told ya! I told ya! We tore through that thicket 100yds to the buck and he was a jaw dropper. Huge ten around 150. he looked like a dang donkey laying there. His Mom was driving a Honda Civic and we tied that deer all over the top of that dang little car and she headed to a store in Ratcliff that had a big buck contest going on. They drew quite a crowd. Another hunter asked who killed it and we told him the boy did. The hunter said," Its a d&mn shame that a kid killed a deer like that for his first deer." before I could put him in his place the kid replied," What makes you thing that's my first deer? I killed a five point last year and a doe the year before that!" I laughed till my sides hurt!

I cant remember that kids first name but his last name is Pyle and he grew up in a serious bowhunting family. I hope he is a GS member and chimes in here.
                    Last edited by GarGuy; 08-10-2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                      Gar Guy u may have changed the way I hunt not sure I could keep up the pace u do but there is a massive 8 caught on camera coming and going out of some of the thickest stuff u can think of. I though it was to thick to go into but maybe not. Crawling into that stuff, I always worried about the snakes I might come across. like the stories
                      Don't go in. Get right on the down wind edge.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Make Em Stir!

Years ago, toward the end of season, we would do organized drives in the many DCNF thickets. It was lots of fun with as many as 25 hunters on holidays but usually a dozen or so. We could often push really large blocks of thicket and this was one of those times that two groups of us joined up. It seems I was always in charge of placing standers and driving as I was usually tagged out by then. We would push the thick stuff shooting a pistol into the ground when we knew we had deer moving.

There was a lady with us that had a little boy. If I remember right, he was 6 but small for his age. Now this was a hunting family and its possible the kid is on this forum and 30 years old now. He had a little single shot 20 guage with the ejector broke so he only had one shoot. I put him in the best spot with his mother near by and told him not to leave that spot.

I went around and started the drive with 3 drivers. Within minutes we jumped a bunch of deer and we got them headed out. As we got closer to the end of the push, there were two shots about 10 seconds apart. A short time later there was a pistol shot ahead of me and when I got there a friend(dale) had a 16 inch 8pt that he had just finished off. Darn nice deer. I asked him about the initial two shots and he said he had only fired one and that he thought the kid had shot and turned the buck his way. I went on out and the boy was standing right where I left him. I asked if he shot and he said he had shot a big ten point but it ran off. He said that he saw some does and got ready, then he saw a big buck and was about to shoot when he saw a bigger buck coming and that's the 10pt he shot at.

He pointed where the deer was and a quick search revealed hair from the buckshot and a few flecks of blood that we trailed a short distance directly toward where the other deer was shot. I asked Dale if there was another buck and he said there was only his deer and a doe that came by him. Now we were faced with a problem. Dale had already tagged the deer yet if the boy had shot it first, it really should be his. I took the boy over to where dales deer was laying and asked him if this was the deer he shot. He took one look and said, " No Sir. The deer I shot was a 10pt. That is the first buck I saw but I knew I only had one shot so I shot the big one." I was a little surprised and didn't figure a 6 year old would really have counted points on a deer in that thicket so I asked how he knew it was a ten. He said," Well he had three up on the side next to me". That sure sounded like he knew what he saw.

We made another search while dale drug his deer out but couldn't find any further blood and in my heart I really believed he shot the same deer as dale. In the meantime, Dales brother had joined the hunt late and didn't know which way we were pushing so he had stopped at the other end and was walking to us through the thicket. We were waiting on him and he knew nothing of the events. Suddenly he yelled, "HEY HERES A BUCK!" I yelled, "How many points?" "TEN!"

That kid started saying, I told ya! I told ya! We tore through that thicket 100yds to the buck and he was a jaw dropper. Huge ten around 150. he looked like a dang donkey laying there. His Mom was driving a Honda Civic and we tied that deer all over the top of that dang little car and she headed to a store in Ratcliff that had a big buck contest going on. They drew quite a crowd. Another hunter asked who killed it and we told him the boy did. The hunter said," Its a d&mn shame that a kid killed a deer like that for his first deer." before I could put him in his place the kid replied," What makes you thing that's my first deer? I killed a five point last year and a doe the year before that!" I laughed till my sides hurt!

I cant remember that kids first name but his last name is Pyle and he grew up in a serious bowhunting family. I hope he is a GS member and chimes in here.
                        This is cool!

Comment

Good cause I did not want to go in his mass is really big. only pictures going in at dark or coming out at dark

Comment

Any chance that boys first name might have been Cody from over around Apple Springs?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                              Any chance that boys first name might have been Cody from over around Apple Springs?
                              That might be it. He was from over that way.

Edit...The more I think about it the more Cody sounds right.
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 08-10-2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

That might be it. He was from over that way.

Edit...The more I think about it the more Cody sounds right.
                                The Cody Pyle I know is dark headed. Don't know much about what he looked like as a 6 year old kid.

If it's the same guy, he lives in New Mexico now and has a very successful oil field construction company. Started out with a dozer contracting out, now he builds locations and lease roads. He worked for my dad for a little while. Dang good hand to hear dad tell it.

Comment

Working...
                                X