Gut shot doe - Here we go - Grimes County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gut shot doe - Here we go - Grimes County

I have decent hunting on my property behind my house in Grimes. When I say decent, I don't mean huge deer. I hunt for meat and get about two a season; i don't need more than that. Last year my 11 year old got a young spike buck. I went on a Colorado hunt and got a nice Mule deer near the Wyoming border.

Anyway, The doe came out of the brush so I aimed and hit her in the gut. My bolt must have hit a small branch or sapling - or I rushed the shot. Either way I knew it was a gut shot the second she walked off, hunched over with her ears behind her head. I tracker her for about 50 meters until I couldn't see her anymore. I waited in the tree for about 45 minutes. Got down and inspected the arrow. Yup. gut shot green and nasty.

I tried to back out slowly and quietly. I looked in the direction she went and could see she was bedded down looking at me about 100 meters away in the brush. It's gonna be a long night. My Blue Lacy and I will head out at first light. I hope the yotes don't get her first.

good luck and thank you for your service.

Comment

Tough to go through this, try to get some shut eye and then get up and go find her. Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Comment

She will be laying right there at daybreak. Good decision.

Comment

If she doesn't get bumped by yotes, she'll be there.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for your service! Good luck!

Comment

If she is not there in the morning, go to the closest water and you will find her.

Comment

Over night time to die should be sufficient. Not a dog tracker, but suggest that the dogs be on leads to trail the deer, so in case she's alive when find her, you can get a shot.

Comment

Dang! I hope you have fun watching the dog workin tomorrow morning MrLibertad

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                    Over night time to die should be sufficient. Not a dog tracker, but suggest that the dogs be on leads to trail the deer, so in case she's alive when find her, you can get a shot.
                    I wish Idve done this 2 lost deer ago.

Comment

Good luck on the recovery

Comment

Good luck! Keep us posted

Comment

In for the recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

…and?

Comment

Let’s hear it hand!