The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
    I have a few questions for y’all if ya don’t mind?

Looking to get back to killing a few pigs around a few places we have here in East Tx. I previously owned an original trail xp38. Loved it. But recently I’ve seen a bunch of different brands and models I have no clue what they are.

That being said, most shots will be 100yds or less and I’m not going to be out till 3a.m chasing swine around. It’s more for just a few hrs of fun and pest control. I don’t want it to be super fuzzy and look like a 60s show, but I’m not looking to get trijicon either.

So I guess my question is, for the money and what I’ll basically be doing, what route would you guys take? If I have to save up a little more than I will but budget is around 4000 or less. Where would my money be best spent and what model/brand?

The original XP38 was 640x480, 1.5x and $4,500.

There currently aren't any mid-range ($3,000-$4,000) thermal scopes below 2x. To get a 1.5x base mag you'd have to go to a $2,000 entry level scope. The most common magnification in mid-range thermals is now up to 3x base mag. That's do able but it's a pretty good bit for East Texas hog hunting and I believe 2x to 2.5x would do most East Texas hog hunters better if you're mostly shooting under 100 yards.

That leaves the Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ38 2.5x for $3,299 (384x288) and the AGM Rattler TS35-640 2x for $3,999 (640x480). The next step would get you into the $4,500 and $5,000 price range.

I'd really look into those two scopes if you're looking for something in the lower base mag, wide FOV, great image quality and under $4,000-ish.

Feel free to give me a call anytime if you have questions and would like to talk about what optic might work best for you.

Jason
    Outdoor Legacy
    877-350-1818

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
      The original XP38 was 640x480, 1.5x and $4,500.

There currently aren't any mid-range ($3,000-$4,000) thermal scopes below 2x. To get a 1.5x base mag you'd have to go to a $2,000 entry level scope. The most common magnification in mid-range thermals is now up to 3x base mag. That's do able but it's a pretty good bit for East Texas hog hunting and I believe 2x to 2.5x would do most East Texas hog hunters better if you're mostly shooting under 100 yards.

That leaves the Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ38 2.5x for $3,299 (384x288) and the AGM Rattler TS35-640 2x for $3,999 (640x480). The next step would get you into the $4,500 and $5,000 price range.

I'd really look into those two scopes if you're looking for something in the lower base mag, wide FOV, great image quality and under $4,000-ish.

Feel free to give me a call anytime if you have questions and would like to talk about what optic might work best for you.

Jason
      Outdoor Legacy
      877-350-1818

So lugging around this AR-10 ain’t going to work.

What kinda hand held do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

That’s what I’ve learned too. Seems that getting the scope was just the jumping off point. Now I need something for scanning so I can sit and use and not be on the gun scanning the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any guys out there running a NV scope and using a handheld thermal for scanning? Looking at getting a cheap one like the One from AGM

Comment

I’ve got the pulsar Axion XM30 and like it a lot.

Far as weight of the rifle I traded my AR-10 for a aero precision in 7.62x39. AR15 weight with AR10 knockdown

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
              I’ve got the pulsar Axion XM30 and like it a lot.

Far as weight of the rifle I traded my AR-10 for a aero precision in 7.62x39. AR15 weight with AR10 knockdown

Yeah I’ve been looking at the Wilson combat AR-15’s in 6.5 or 6.8 but that will have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
                Any guys out there running a NV scope and using a handheld thermal for scanning? Looking at getting a cheap one like the One from AGM

Yes, I'm running a Pulsar XM22 I believe for scanning and a Wraith 4k on top of a 6.5 GR. Works awesome in a stand setting and decent in the field (stalk type situation). Sometimes the infrared just can't find what the thermal does. But I'm happy and it fits my needs perfectly. I would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                  Yes, I'm running a Pulsar XM22 I believe for scanning and a Wraith 4k on top of a 6.5 GR. Works awesome in a stand setting and decent in the field (stalk type situation). Sometimes the infrared just can't find what the thermal does. But I'm happy and it fits my needs perfectly. I would recommend.

I run the wraith as well and it gets old having to scan with the rifle every 5 minutes all night. Know of anywhere you can go test run some of these handhelds?

Comment

Like everything else...what's the budget.

Entry level thermal handhelds start at about $1,300. There are cheaper options but they are what we call "sub-entry level" because you won't be able to ID much past 40-100 yards and things turn into "blobs" in a hurry and then tiny specks. Not saying they aren't useful, we sell them, we just want people to understand what they are getting.

There are some nice options in the $1,600-$2,000 range and to really take the next step up in image quality you'll jump into the $3,000+ range. AGM has several new monoculars coming this fall that haven't made it to the US yet but there will be some more options in the sub-$3,000 range but we haven't tested them yet and won't know much until then.

Jason

Comment

I shoot with a Wraith. Have a Pulsar Axion key XM30 and it does great. XM22 is a little cheaper if you can find one and is very comparable. Definitely a nice upgrade over NV scope only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                        Like everything else...what's the budget.

Entry level thermal handhelds start at about $1,300. There are cheaper options but they are what we call "sub-entry level" because you won't be able to ID much past 40-100 yards and things turn into "blobs" in a hurry and then tiny specks. Not saying they aren't useful, we sell them, we just want people to understand what they are getting.

There are some nice options in the $1,600-$2,000 range and to really take the next step up in image quality you'll jump into the $3,000+ range. AGM has several new monoculars coming this fall that haven't made it to the US yet but there will be some more options in the sub-$3,000 range but we haven't tested them yet and won't know much until then.

Jason

3k to 5k. I’m happy with the Thermion 2 XP50 I bought from y’all so I wouldn’t want anything less in quality for a hand held.

Comment

3k to 5k. I’m happy with the Thermion 2 XP50 I bought from y’all so I wouldn’t want anything less in quality for a hand held.

What’s everyone’s favorite reticle for the pulsar?

I found that the tiny one that comes loaded on it sucks for shooting at running pigs. I guess what reticle and what color for black hot?

Comment

Most people do the opposite. Makes no sense to scan with thermal and shoot with NV

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Most people do the opposite. Makes no sense to scan with thermal and shoot with NV

I still like to deer hunt with my wraith during the day and not have to carry multiple guns for pigs at night. Too big of a chance to mis ID a deer during daylight with thermal since their antlers don’t usually show once out of velvet

Comment

I still like to deer hunt with my wraith during the day and not have to carry multiple guns for pigs at night. Too big of a chance to mis ID a deer during daylight with thermal since their antlers don’t usually show once out of velvet

I got no comment on that.

But you said it best in your last sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X