X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Alfa or even a Ultrak SP-70 if it’s for track or swimming

CZ452 Scout if for shooting.

Comment

CZ457. Yes that’s a 7. Their newest model. 457 scout is the youth. Short LOP. Threaded. Open sights. And you can easily mount an optic. When it’s time you just drop it into a full size stock too. Best youth 22 on the market. I looked at all of them. It’s a huge upgrade over the 452 and 455.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
        The Ruger American with the adjustable stock. Start them on a bolt gun rather than a semi-auto, simpler and safer.
        Adios,
        Gary
        A little singe shot is what I was thinking. It’s what I started out shooting. It makes you think about your shot a little more

Comment

Single shot..is ultimate starter ...Rifle or Shotgun...Safer for all and will teach to be a (1 shot killer) not a BANG BANG boy

Comment

Mechanical action for a starter. Single shot, bolt or lever. Or a pump, I'd recommend a Savage bolt gun. Auto's are just to easy for a youngster to forget that they are always ready to shoot again...And the mechanical actions put more emphasis on making every shot count.

Comment

Not a fan of the cricket. We have one. You have to carry the key with you ALWAYS. The position of the lock on the fore end is prone to being bumped and locking so that the gun isn’t usable. Really frustrating when trying to shoot squirrels and you try to steady the gun on a branch and it becomes locked and the key is back at camp, or worse at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                Not a fan of the cricket. We have one. You have to carry the key with you ALWAYS. The position of the lock on the fore end is prone to being bumped and locking so that the gun isn’t usable. Really frustrating when trying to shoot squirrels and you try to steady the gun on a branch and it becomes locked and the key is back at camp, or worse at home.
                That must be on a newer model, the one I have doesn’t require a key.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  I am hoping for the day, the gun companies stop doing that crap. I hate those key locks in the bolts and cross bolt safeties on lever guns, all that safety crap that takes away from what various guns used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Chipmunk comes to mind. They are small and light single shots.
                    I had a chipmunk. It was awesome.

Comment

I bought a few old 22s used when my first kid was born. Now have 2 boys and I’m done. Neither have received theirs yet but I know I found the single shot daisy, a and maybe 2 crickets? I’ll check in the safe I only need 2 of them. Keeping the daisy for sure. I still have my first, a Remington single shot. Fires shorts and longs and put it through the ringer

Comment

A Rossi pump is a pretty small gun. You can shoot it like a single shot while they are young and it’s not a gun they will out grow in two years.

Comment

My girl has a cricket . For a 125 bucks it’s hard to beat .

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            That must be on a newer model, the one I have doesn’t require a key.
                            x2
                            was a good starter for my son but that's been 13 years. I liked the fact he couldn't cock it without my help. One bullet at a time.
                            Sounds like some good advice offered by the others. Enjoy shooting with the boys. They grow fast!

Comment

single shot or lever gun,, semi auto will teach them to waste more ammo,, teach them to shoot first and when they are older a 10-22 is a great choice

Comment

I got my kids the Thompson Center Hot Shot.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	2-tc3400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	24665549

Comment

Working...
                                X