Legal Rifle Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I seem to remember that some of the draw hunt have caliber restrictions.
    Some do

Comment

I like a 25acp

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        I like a 25acp
        Huh?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch of deer and hogs with my 5.56. Heavy bullets placed properly will get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Yes. Center fire cartridge
            What Fishdude Says

Comment

I was surprised to see no .22 and larger limit just no rimfires.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                I like a 25acp
                I haven't done that yet. But I did kill a buck with a .32 acp.

Comment

Love to read about "what caliber" needed to accomplish the simple task efficently and effectively shooting hogs and deer. Seems like the poplar thought is one needs a cannon. I used a hornet for years till I tired of the reloading issues with the softer case. Moved into a 221 fireball using Hornady 50gr Spire Points coupled with a kahles 2-7 nothing is safe within my 100 yard limit on meat animals. 3-400 yards on coyotes. To make sure I'm clear my shots will only be head/neck or I simply will not pull the trigger. Yotes anywhere works. For its size and velocity ive found nothing to beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by MLAH View Post
                    Love to read about "what caliber" needed to accomplish the simple task efficently and effectively shooting hogs and deer. Seems like the poplar thought is one needs a cannon. I used a hornet for years till I tired of the reloading issues with the softer case. Moved into a 221 fireball using Hornady 50gr Spire Points coupled with a kahles 2-7 nothing is safe within my 100 yard limit on meat animals. 3-400 yards on coyotes. To make sure I'm clear my shots will only be head/neck or I simply will not pull the trigger. Yotes anywhere works. For its size and velocity ive found nothing to beat it.
                    This thread is about using low caliber, sooooooooo, what’s your point?

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                      I looked on TPW website and think I have my answer but want to confirm. Is it legal in Texas to hunt big game (whitetails) with a 223? I didn’t see anything that prohibits it so I think I’m good. Anyone know for sure?
                      Yes sir, I grew up killing whitetail with a 22-250.

Comment

Center fire is the key phrase.

Most 17's and 22's (LR and Mag) are rimfire, but 22-250, 222, 223, etc. are center fire.

Comment

I have shot 1 doe with my Remington 17 and she was DRT. Little bullet will do the trick if I do my part.

Comment

I will go out one a limb and state that Texas should change it from centerfire to 24 cal centerfire , like 80% of other states, 243 - 6mm should be the set minimum for deer
                            Yes I have shot deer with a 223 & 22-250 but IMO they are very marginal
                            On deer
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-11-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                              I will go out one a limb and state that Texas should change it from centerfire to 24 cal centerfire , like 80% of other states, 243 - 6mm should be the set minimum for deer
                              Yes I have shot deer with a 223 & 22-250 but IMO they are very marginal
                              On deer
                              Truth be known, some people should be shooting a cannon, because they can't shoot for crap. But, I have no problem with a .224 caliber for a skilled person at a reasonable distance.

I've seen many a person shoot deer with a 30 caliber and deer were never recovered. One year there were several of us hunting a big 10, 140+deer, and it just happened to get shot by the guy with the 30/06. Found marginal blood, but never found deer nor did we ever see it again on camera.

I also saw a dawgkllr shoot a 130+ buck with a .243 at 312 yards and deer went maybe 30 yards and killed over. Me on the other hand, that same year, killed several with my 22-250, gosh how I miss that gun, all under 150 yards, and none made it more than 20 yards. And I've killed several over the years with a .223 AR platform, and none required a tracking job.

I will say though, I shoot throughout the year, need to do more lol, and at one time, I was putting 30-40 rounds downrange per week for each rifle I owned.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

RUNNING BEAR - ok don’t quite understand your point. For clarity 221 Remington Fireball uses a .224 diameter bullet. Hornady #2245 50 gr SP for this application and I do think that is larger than a .17 caliber also being discussed. For openers you want small, then take the 22 lr, this round has likely killed more deer in its time however, it’s rimfire not center fire and not allowed by law.

Remember those who hand load the Hornet, .222, .223 or 22-250 often times uses this particular bullet to great success. DFWPI was spot on practice is the key and he was Very Correct in his assessment there are some who should be shooting a cannon. For your practice use painted golf balls hanging on a piece of monofilament at a 100 yards hit 8 or 10 out of 10 then you will understand your rifle and its ability to deliver.

If like to know your point if you have one please explain.

Comment

Working...
                                X