No announcement yet.

Deer Processors: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hall's in Coleman, and Santa Anna Custom Processing were only open till noon on opening day.
    I ended up having to drive an hour to B&R in Early, TX
    I'm picking up my doe this Saturday so fast service. I'll report back on the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      I’d used Juniors in Wharton the last 3 years. 2 years ago, the link sausage had a different taste to it. Pan, and summer sausage still tasted great! Last year, pan, link, and summer sausage all tasted like they’d been made out of an old ruttin buck. Definitely not the little ol doe I’d taken them. Very disappointed.

This year I plan on taking any to Tuttles in Woodsboro. A friend has been taking his their for years and hasn’t had an issue.
      Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
      I've been using juniors for about 7 years and it has gone down hill the last couple years. Let me know how Tuttles turns out. I'm looking for a new place to get sausage made.
      Y'all should check out Riverbend Processing, he is in Wharton & does an amazing job.

Comment

Tuttles in Woodboro has become my go to processor. i don't mind the 3 hour drive to drop off or pick up meat from Katy. prolly had 20 animals from whitetails to zebra processed there over the past few years. still haven't found a piece of bone or hair in any of it. they also vacuum seal which is nice.

Comment

Belleville meat market.
          Great flavors. Fairly quick turnaround.
          Gets real pricey real quick though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

There are a few things I will never recommend and a processor is one of them..

Comment

Originally posted by shaness View Post
              Here are my recommends and some questions I have.

I've been using Kuby's in Dallas (good experiences for me to date), Ye Ole Butcher Shoppe in Plano, Fischer's in Muenster as my go to's in North Texas. These are all very good.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano?

Looks like I need to try Cinnamon Creek Ranch in Roanoake based on their reviews from 2016.

I have not tried Bayco's in Seymour but have heard nothing but good things.

A friend from DFW area is looking for something near Waco. Sounds like Forston's was a good choice 5 years ago. Let him know about recommendations for JT's in Stephenville as well.
              I’ve taken some deer to Eddie Rays in Elm Mott and Mcgregor(both near Waco) and have had good luck. They make really good sausage.

Comment

I’ve tried many of them over the years. I’ve also been processing my own for about 35 years now. I mimicked several recipes that I really like from well known processors over the years. Bellville Meat Market is one of the best. They are also one of the most expensive. Their summer sausage was the reason I started trying to perfect my own decades ago.

It hasn’t been mentioned but when I don’t have time to process my own I really like D&C in New Caney.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                  I’d used Juniors in Wharton the last 3 years. 2 years ago, the link sausage had a different taste to it. Pan, and summer sausage still tasted great! Last year, pan, link, and summer sausage all tasted like they’d been made out of an old ruttin buck. Definitely not the little ol doe I’d taken them. Very disappointed.

This year I plan on taking any to Tuttles in Woodsboro. A friend has been taking his their for years and hasn’t had an issue.
                  Man I agree with this !! First time in my LIFE last year I dropped off a deer to any processor and it was Junior's based on recommendations and location. I literally gave away every link besides the first one I cooked to try. What a total WASTE !

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
                    My cousin's place in Poolville is Dry Creek Wild Game Processing. Honest, hard working dude that does a great job.
                    Gonna give him a try this year, not far from the house .

Thanks

Comment

Here are the ones I'd go back to:
                      Bernhards in Kerrville
                      Woodbury in Kerrville
                      Boos in Fredericksburg

I would avoid Alamo in Comfort. I had heard good things about it, but was not impressed with their sausage and even their ground meat.

Comment

Stay away from Neil’s taxidermy and processing in Whitt. Watched his guys cut up a deer with a saws all, hide still on it.
                        Trophy Case taxidermy and processing in Cottondale does dang good work.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                          Man I agree with this !! First time in my LIFE last year I dropped off a deer to any processor and it was Junior's based on recommendations and location. I literally gave away every link besides the first one I cooked to try. What a total WASTE !
                          No kidding! My boys gave me some Nilgai they had done there. It was my first taste of Nilgai and it was terrible. They use Praseks now and I usually have one deer done there every year. Very pleased

Comment

Originally posted by shaness View Post
                            Here are my recommends and some questions I have.

I've been using Kuby's in Dallas (good experiences for me to date), Ye Ole Butcher Shoppe in Plano, Fischer's in Muenster as my go to's in North Texas. These are all very good.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano?

Looks like I need to try Cinnamon Creek Ranch in Roanoake based on their reviews from 2016.

I have not tried Bayco's in Seymour but have heard nothing but good things.

A friend from DFW area is looking for something near Waco. Sounds like Forston's was a good choice 5 years ago. Let him know about recommendations for JT's in Stephenville as well.
                            MY vote is for Eddy Rays Smokehouse in Elm Mott.

Comment

Picked up my doe from B & R in Early. She was done in 5 days. Everything was cut like I asked, vacuum sealed and labeled. Looks good

Comment

In North Tx I wouldn't take my deer anywhere but Blue Bonnet in Trenton. They do an outstanding job and never mix deer. One of the cleanest facilities I've ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X