No announcement yet.

Wood arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately Bisch is telling the truth. Only a couple of cedars have had the need for new Fletchings. The rest break before they get to that old. I have a few cedars that look rather mangy at the moment, but they still fly so good I hate to remove what works.
    I also have a NICE set of Ash arrows. Heavy and took a little to get more comfortable with them, but they do fly well and like RJH1 Stated, extreme FOC came with Carbon. Some shoot heavier heads now with woods, but ultimate tune can be done with basic 100, 125, or 150 grain field tips. My best hunt came because of a very well tuned Cedar with a 145 Eskimo.

Comment

Awesome. Well I have a plan. Guess we'll see how it works.

Gary

Comment

Thanks for asking Gary. Ive been thinking about tuning some for some shoots. I happened upon some woodies and Im gonna loose them. Mr Cody had some at the last AAC TBOT shoot that had aluminum headers (footed?...not sure on verbage)...and said they seemed a bit more durable when target shooting regularly.

Good luck on the endeavor Senor.

Comment

Soap your woods before shooting every target in 3d. You will lose way fewer tips, and you will be considerably less likely to break one while pulling. Won't help if you miss the target and hit the rocks behind the target though haha

Comment

I have to hit the rocks to save Bisch' toes.[emoji1]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              A good arrowsmith can come really close. My last set was built by JEFFRO, I just gave him all the info and he came up with the right combo. They fly perfectly.
              https://www.facebook.com/JEFFRONEETZ/
              This ^^^
              Jeffro can be reached here on TBH. I don't know of anyone who isn't happy with his arrows. Mine fly so true that even Bisch would fall in love with them!!

Comment

gary for what it is worth carbon is obviously more durable easier to tune and we probably all have killed more animals with them. Wood is just romantic. Years ago i ordered some expensive footed spruce shafts that were tapered ( always better) and killed a couple elk and some deer with them but as Bisch says they don't hold up. I got the itch again this year like you and ordered some from 3 rivers cut and Tapered 28 in 50-55 with 125 grain zwickeys and had 3 rivers taper them then i put heads on with epoxy and broadhead spinner and honestly they shoot like darts with my carbons that are much heavier from foc standpoint. all 6 spin perfect. You need thicker serving but i have couple bows that i already have double serving on. My heavier bows dont shoot them well because not enough spine. Also your release needs to be perfect or they can misbehave. I say do it if you are thinking about it. arrow smith can do the same just more expensive. good luck

Comment

Just thinking I could shoot two rounds carbon one day and two rounds wood the next on two day shoots and enjoy more meaningful rounds.

Gary

Comment

Talk to Jeffro over in Red Oak. He's part of the Texad State Longbow group that shoot in Fort Worth.

Comment

Jeffro or Wyatt Webb. Both at Longbow Shoot . Vanderpool and Chester. I love Three Rivers for most all products but not wood arrows. Arvin

Comment

Working...
                      X