AG Exempt vs Wildlife Exempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
    If land is in Ag use already, it is super easy to just rollover into wildlife instead.

If trying to get land entered into tax exemption status either Ag or wildlife...not sure on acres needed
    Not an answer as unsure where the rules have gone but to take land in to an ag type appraisal from non ag whether wildlife or peaches, it used to take 5 years of records and proof in most central counties while paying full tax value. The counties did used to and probably still do write their own requirements. And what qualifies. It is difficult to come from scratch. Much easier to keep an existing ag if buying land and size varies a lot. Around 15 acres in the easier areas and larger in some. Once upon a time you could put a goat on an acre or 2 and get tax relief. Doubt that exists anywhere today? I have owned small to moderate sized land. This no cup of tea. It can be done! I now own a lot in a suburb. Man we never learn sometimes .

Comment

AG Exempt vs Wildlife Exempt

We are under wildlife exemption. I document everything we do related to that via pictures, keeping equipment, feed, seed, fertilizer receipts, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        What is the minimum amount of land you can own and still get a wildlife exemption?

20 acres minimum to qualify for wildlife exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
          You may not know that they are out looking at your place - they do not give you a heads up - depends on county you are in - many of them use google maps to see if you have livestock on your property during the year - where I am they drive out and check your property and see if there are cows or sheep on the property
          We have a Wildlife exemption and what we have been told is the county uses satellite and flies the county to check and see if you are up to date. County sent us a aerial picture of our place and asked where all our food plots are,to draw them in on the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
            We have a Wildlife exemption and what we have been told is the county uses satellite and flies the county to check and see if you are up to date. County sent us a aerial picture of our place and asked where all our food plots are,to draw them in on the map.
            Our appraisal, Grayson, using satellite images also. This also worked to my advantage, they took 2 acres out of Ag. Went in and talked to Ag guy, he pulled it up and I showed him areas and he moved 1 acre at house that wasn't Ag to Ag plus a 1/2 acre of the 2 they took out. All with a couple clicks of the mouse and instant. He's a farmer/rancher too and that helps a lot !! As I mentioned earlier he thinks the now 3 yrs retro and having to farm/ranch it for 5 first is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              20 acres minimum to qualify for wildlife exception.
              depends on the county. Ours is that the land has to be in Ag-exemption before it can be rolled into Wildlife, and the ag has its acreage/use limitations for each county.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                Wildlife exemption requires an annual report of what practices he did during the year to improve property and wildlife - I just sent mine in for 2019 - pretty simple to do - keep pictures of bird houses, trapping coons, etc., feeding fish in ponds, Pretty simple - best part is that the county appraisal district does not physically check on your property like they do on Ag
                This is what I do as well. You’re given a list of several things you can do to qualify but you don’t have to do them all. Take pics, keep receipts, fill out the form, turn it in. I’m always approved in a few days.

Comment

If you have no intention of raising some kind of crop...cattle, hay, field crops, honey bees, etc.... Go wildlife before it gets removed by county from Ag. You will lose your sales taxes exemption going wildlife, but maintain your county land tax exemption.

There are 3 types of taxes you need to think about:

1. County land tax(ag or wildlife exemption)- Taxes on your property you pay county every January.

2. State sales tax(Ag/Timber exemption)- Taxes you pay on items you buy at the store

3. IRS personal/business tax- Exemptions you claim while filing your personal return with the IRS.
                  Last edited by BrianL; 01-13-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Sorry to Frankenstein this thread but we just acquired property and have to file the 1-d-1 for the first time. I have a question on section VI which discusses whether hunting will be used to manage the deer population (includes harvest goals and ratios). Is anyone experienced with how this should be answered in the context of a specific application? If so, I’d appreciate being able to ask some specific questions by PM.

R

Comment

What does one do to get the sales tax exemption number?

I have a wildlife exempt property and another property that's part way in to the 5 years for Ag.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        What does one do to get the sales tax exemption number?

I have a wildlife exempt property and another property that's part way in to the 5 years for Ag.
                        sales tax exemption only comes with ag - not wildlife -

there is a form online at the state you can submit to request the ag sales tax exemption

Comment

here is a breakdown of my property taxes for 2019
                          I have a grazing lease with a neighbor to keep it ag.

(+) Improvement Homesite Value: + $0
                          (+) Improvement Non-Homesite Value: + $2,944
                          (+) Land Homesite Value: + $0
                          (+) Land Non-Homesite Value: + $4,600 Ag / Timber Use Value
                          (+) Agricultural Market Valuation: + $87,400 $1,786
                          (+) Timber Market Valuation: + $0 $0
                          --------------------------
                          (=) Market Value: = $94,944
                          (–) Ag or Timber Use Value Reduction: – $85,614
                          (=) Appraised Value: = $9,330
                          (–) HS Cap: – $0
                          (=) Assessed Value: = $9,330

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet View Post
                            Sorry to Frankenstein this thread but we just acquired property and have to file the 1-d-1 for the first time. I have a question on section VI which discusses whether hunting will be used to manage the deer population (includes harvest goals and ratios). Is anyone experienced with how this should be answered in the context of a specific application? If so, I’d appreciate being able to ask some specific questions by PM.

R
                            Dont over think it. I went back on mine and this is what I wrote - The harvest strategy is for hunters to primarily take does and 1 mature buck a year, if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                              Dont over think it. I went back on mine and this is what I wrote - The harvest strategy is for hunters to primarily take does and 1 mature buck a year, if at all.

I’m trying not to overthink it and am probably being overly cautious, but reading where we’re supposed to put an annual goal based on the census. For example, if saturation is 1 whitetail per 20 acres, then we are way over saturated. BUT they move properties on a tract this size, so it’s a crap shoot. Thinking I put what will likely happen which is X number of hunters times the likely harvest of 2 does and a mature buck per each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                                Things may have changed but my land sold and gone in Oatmeal, Burnet County was Basic ag and I changed to Wildlife Agricultural Appraisal. The term Exemption does not apply best of my knowledge to either and is misused but simple to comprehend so ok to say exempt in my book. Ag is based on possible profits and Wildlife is a separate entity and results in similar property evaluations with different rules. And both qualified for tax free purchases directly applied to the property such as feed, troughs, and most if not all equipment for the purpose. Basically the same with different quirks. I moved the cattle as I did not want to do beef and went to wildlife. It is tough because it is an area known to be abused to not pay taxes. Properly done, awesome. TX P&W helped me set up. Super folks.
                                Good stuff.

If trying to establish Ag/Wildlife/Timber...the correct verbage should not be “exemption” but “USE”. Otherwise it is immediately known by Appraisal District what you are going for...tax exemption which it is not. It is for USE and tax reduction is a benefit.

RattlesnakeDan...its hard to believe anybody would not continue Ag/Wildlife/Timber USE and purposefully decide to get taxed more. To each their own.

Comment

Working...
                                X