No announcement yet.

AG Exempt vs Wildlife Exempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Ag exempt on my place and my FIL has Wildlife on his. We both have the ag/timber card and both get sales tax relief.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
      Oh my.....get ready, if you take land out of ag the appraisal district will.hit you for 5 years back taxes at normal appraised rate, 2 acres cost me $5000
      Plus 7% interest on each of those years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank y’all, I’m going to stay ag/timber. I’m knocking around the idea of stocker calves anyway. I believe in Fayette co I’m only required to have 2 calves, 1 unit, per 8 ac.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post

Yea don’t do that unless you are selling it or truly changing use.

Comment

Things may have changed but my land sold and gone in Oatmeal, Burnet County was Basic ag and I changed to Wildlife Agricultural Appraisal. The term Exemption does not apply best of my knowledge to either and is misused but simple to comprehend so ok to say exempt in my book. Ag is based on possible profits and Wildlife is a separate entity and results in similar property evaluations with different rules. And both qualified for tax free purchases directly applied to the property such as feed, troughs, and most if not all equipment for the purpose. Basically the same with different quirks. I moved the cattle as I did not want to do beef and went to wildlife. It is tough because it is an area known to be abused to not pay taxes. Properly done, awesome. TX P&W helped me set up. Super folks.

Comment

I didn't even pick up on that little jewel......take out of ag pay 5 yrs back taxes.....want to go into ag wait 5 yrs.....10yr cash swing for taxing entities

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                Yea don’t do that unless you are selling it or truly changing use.
                Sell it as ag let new owners change it......farm ground everywhere in my area for sale to be developed...

Comment

I did not know or forgot about interest? Wow. I new about the 5 years and no longer looking local near Austin for any dirt due to the insane value increases. But interest on top. Ouch. Guess my loss previous land sales and my subdivision home is where I am at. Thank you Lord for what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                    While we are on the subject. Our land owner has recently asked us to send him our feed receipts for his wildlife exemption. Is this normal?

Brian
                    We have a wildlife exemption on our place. We have to send in receipts at end of year for protein fed, because it is one of our criteria for our exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      I just let my Ag/Timber expire. I wasn't using it like it was designed for anymore. My friends think I should have kept it.
                      You should not have let it expire. You were growing trees...or rather your trees were going? Yes, you were a tree farmer...it’s not hard. Every year, I cut firewood and donate it to needy families.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                        While we are on the subject. Our land owner has recently asked us to send him our feed receipts for his wildlife exemption. Is this normal?

Brian
                        The land owner has to put together a wildlife report each year. We show all our receipts as proof that we did the management practices we said we did.

Comment

Burnet County never asked for any reports but I was required to have the records "of proof" etc. on hand and file a specific plan put together with a Texas P&W Biologist who was awesome helping me out with this. I did document everything but never was asked for anything. The appraiser was very helpful nice fellow and told me he traveled the area to observe the properties activities which I do not know how that identified much? I was looking at Williamson County properties and they were not friendly about this matter at all so steered clear. Burnet may now ask for reports? My info is all dated over 10 years ago so changes may have occurred.

Comment

Grayson county Ag guy was very helpful to us. He also believes the 5 yrs back taxes and 5 yrars to get into Ag are a scam

Comment

Actually this just changed to 3 yrs and 5% interest. Which is better but still an idiotic tax, IMO.

Comment

For the ad valorem (property tax) side of this discussion, both are considered 1-D-1 exemptions and carry the same tax benefit to the Owner.

Comment

Working...
                                X