Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contractor Did Bad Work, What's My Options??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sky View Post
    What was expected is a slick path on my property line so I can build a nice straight fence without it looking like a wave pool.

Neighbor didn't want anything cleared on his property and if brush was in the way of the fence line he didn't want to take the brush either... he is a real pain.

And I have had every fence line ive ever cleared dozed or excavated, then slicked off with a grader, so yes...
    and most fence line clearings are 1-2 dozer blade width, just enough to get equipment down...he cleared extremely too much... 50' in some places.
    If the neighbor "didn't want anything cleared" and it was, in fact cleared then you will probably be required to compensate him. I'd hold off paying the other guy until you get that settled.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
      Good neighbors talk to each other about such things. If he is putting a property line fence up he should have talked to neighbor. Now if he is putting a fence on HIS SIDE of Property line, he can do what he wants how he wants. And agree should have stayed off neighbors place.

Me thinks he got a fence line but was expecting a road.
      Philip, who said I didn't talk to the neighbor? The issue isn't even about the neighbor but to answer you, yes I have talked and discussed with the neighbor that the fence is going up and asked if he wanted to be apart of it way before the dozer guy got there. Neighbor didn't want to help on the fence or the brush, so I told the dozer guy to clear the fence line and I will take the brush but stay off his property as much as possible.

And I asked for a fence line not a road, he gave me a road and not a fence line...

Comment

Real simple...write him a check for what you think is reasonable and write paid in full on the check along with a job reference number.

If he cashes that check he acknowledges that the job has been paid in full and has nothing to come after you for...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
          Did you call him and tell him you were not happy with the work? I would have at least gave him a chance to make things right.
          yes of course, but he argued with me immediately and said he gave me what I asked for and cleared the fence line.. also saying he could get a fence up with that brush in the way no problem...

that's not the point if you can get a fence up, I didn't hire him for his opinion, I hired him for clearing my property line.

Comment

yes of course, but he argued with me immediately and said he gave me what I asked for and cleared the fence line.. also saying he could get a fence up with that brush in the way no problem...

that's not the point if you can get a fence up, I didn't hire him for his opinion, I hired him for clearing my property line.
            You both are at fault. Him for not doing what yall agreed upon and you for taking the cheapest price and not getting it in writing. Hope you get it resolved in your favor but it's a mess right now and I feel for you.

Comment

You have changed from saying, stay off the neighbors property, to stay off neighbors property as much as possible. I'm on you side. Good luck. Hate neighbors like you are dealing with.

Comment

Morning TBH Family,

I am about to buy a place North of Early, TX about 8 miles. Looking for someone that has a mulcher to knock down some trees and brush on 2 fence lines. I like the mulching because no brush piles. Also, the wife and I found a spot to build our home so we need that cleared and a pad built. Lastly, the road to our home pad refreshed and widened.

I have a few buddies that do it, one guy that does it full time but he is booked up until Feb...

Looking for recommendations. Thanks, GOD BLESS!
                Was this one of your buddies that dis the clearing for you?

You never explained why you were going to go ahead and pay him $140/hour when he bid $125/hour.

Comment

Use a drone and fly it and compare with property lnes

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                    Use a drone and fly it and compare with property lnes
                    That is not his question or problem.

I don't believe you read the thread.

Comment

Three things i learned early in the construction business:
                      Hold your trades accountable
                      Get what you pay for
                      Don't pay early

One thing i learned over time: Leaving folks you hire to do a job unattended / unsupervised is a recipe for disaster. Not that contractors can't do what they're hired to do. But, people need guidance.

Good luck getting it all as it needs to be....

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                        Three things i learned early in the construction business:
                        Hold your trades accountable
                        Get what you pay for
                        Don't pay early

One thing i learned over time: Leaving folks you hire to do a job unattended / unsupervised is a recipe for disaster. Not that contractors can't do what they're hired to do. But, people need guidance.

Good luck getting it all as it needs to be....

Wise words ^

Comment

Im a contractor and I've read through. If I give you a price it never changes unless you add things. That's it, As for you going out of town in the middle of a project now that is where the problems start. I will not start a job, and Damm sure not finish one until the owner has blessed it. So to me y'all's timings were off. Because if you was at home you would not be having these problems. Your expectation in his were totally different.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Was this one of your buddies that dis the clearing for you?

You never explained why you were going to go ahead and pay him $140/hour when he bid $125/hour.
                            The guy that did it was recommended by my usual land improvement guy. My normal guy is booked until July or maybe later now so he recommended this guy to do it. Ive never met the man before until he started on my property.

I went ahead and paid his 140/hr to just get this deal over with. But I did not pay him his 29hr quote, I paid 25hrs because im going to spend 300 on a skid steer doing it myself. And if this deal goes any further it looks good on me that I am willing to pay. Word will get around about how he worked one over on me, and he will pay for it in the long run with future business.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              Im a contractor and I've read through. If I give you a price it never changes unless you add things. That's it, As for you going out of town in the middle of a project now that is where the problems start. I will not start a job, and Damm sure not finish one until the owner has blessed it. So to me y'all's timings were off. Because if you was at home you would not be having these problems. Your expectation in his were totally different.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                              Yeah, I took for granted that I could trust someone. Things arent like they used to be and its becoming very clear in the world today.

I work in Odessa 70hrs a week and come home on sundays for a few hours. When I do this again, I will make sure I have the time off to make sure I get what im asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                                You are way nicer than me....

The amount he would be getting from me is his original price, minus whatever I paid to have someone else fix his mess.

And I would have him sign a release prior to him receiving that amount.

The real wild card here is the damages to your neighbor's property.

Have you had a discussion with him about fixing what your contractor messed up?
                                This....and I'm a contractor, but guys like this give us all a bad rap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X