Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hog fence an entire property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever hog fence an entire property?

Long time lurker, first time starting a thread. This board has helped me with trapping ideas to kill hogs as they have slowly taken over the place in Louisiana I hunt.

The hog problem keeps getting worse and I have been debating about using hog panel to fence off portions of the property that have mature oak trees as the hogs vacuum the acorns faster than the deer. This led me down a rabbit hole of why not fence the whole property in hog panel and I could eradicate them all and keep them out. As anyone had experience in fencing their entire property with hog proof fence? Cheaper ideas than hog panel? Thanks in advance.

I imagine goat fence would be much cheaper and easier to install.

Quick online look shows you can get a 48"x330' roll from Ace Hardware for $189. That'd cost $3024/mile before tax.

34"x16' hog panels at approx $24/each would cost $7920/mile and that's butting the panels end to end with no overlap.

You'd need 330 16' panels per mile (without overlap accounted for). You'd need 16 rolls of the 330' goat wire for the same distance.

I think in either case, they will root under the fence.
    Last edited by Patton; 11-12-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

One of the properties I hunt has hog wire around the bottom then barb wire above it. No idea why they did it, we didn't even have hogs back when this place was fenced. Pigs just root the wire up and make holes in it over time. It does deter them a little, but they find/make ways through. When we've got on sounders with rifles the hog wire gives us more shot opportunities than we would get with a barb wire fence since they can't go through it just anywhere.

Comment

I have been hunting a 45 acre net wire place because hogs were trapped inside when it was built.

Lady has been paying me well. She told me she spent $20,000 on the netwire fence

Comment

We have fenced in a couple food plots with woven wire fences and in 3 years haven't had any hogs get into them. So far so good, that being said I'm sure on a larger area there would be low lying spots that they would create spots to go under just like they do with barbwire. I think it would help still though if you were vigilant in finding those areas and fixing the issues as they arise.

Comment

About half of my place has cattle panel (similar to hog panel only taller). I will say, the only place they cross in those sections are low spots or if they bust the wire off the post.

Comment

I’ve never had hogs root under panels around a feeder so I never considered them trying to get under them. The low drainages would be a problem especially one that floods every couple of years.

Comment

Does it have a fence now? If so, cheapest way would be to add 3 or 4 more strands of 4 barbed wire. Stays between each t post.

Comment

Ive considered doing a few acres around the areas I hunt. As much to get rid of my feed pens for the deers comfort as for the pigs. I would think any under rooting could be cured with a t-post and five minutes. Might take a little effort to stay on top of them a couple times of year. Except for the low spots, I think it would work well. Uses pieces of panel to fill in the low holes would work as long as you dont have a high water flow thats going to blow it all out.

Comment

I used to hunt a friend's 70 acre place where the previous owner raised meat goats so there was goat fence around the entire property. It was great not to build pens because it kept the hogs out for the most part. I say for the most part because one day we started seeing several hogs on camera and figured they had dug under the fence. We half a day looking but could not find where they got in. We finally figured out they came in the front gate one night when we left if open and got trapped inside. It took a few weeks but we finally killed them all.

Comment

Nothing will keep the hogs out. They will find a low spot, or dig their way in. I've been on plenty of property's around the hill country that had good enough fencing for goats, but not wild pigs. I've seen areas on our Llano ranch where they peeled sheep and goat wire up like a tin can.

Comment

One landowner has a fence so only 1.5 out of the 4.25 miles of boundary is fenced.

Comment

You would probably better served with getting a group of buddies together for a "free" off-season hog hunt a couple times a year and have them "help out" with a few other chores you want done while there and nothing to do during the day anyway.

Get stuff done, get some hogs.

Plus would be ab excuse to get out of the house for a weekend.

Comment

Adding a single strand of barb pulled good and tight and tied on solid added to the bottom of standard netwire fence will do wonders, add in some frequent maintainance and you'll be pleasantly surprised how effective a fence can be.

Comment

Traps and thermal scopes would probably be best way to spend your money. No way I do that much really good fence on property I don't own.

Comment

Working...
                              X