• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to see the finished product

Comment

awesome build so far

Comment

Coming along really nice. Ready to see the end product.

Comment

Me Likey

Comment

Very nice thought about making a desk with old fencing and This metal stand I found at a lease. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

Comment

Looking forward to the finished table

Comment

Lookin good so far! You gonna leave the steel rusty and seal it? Would go good with the rustic look I think.

Comment

Get to work on that thing already! lol

Comment

How to finish the steel pieces?

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                    Lookin good so far! You gonna leave the steel rusty and seal it? Would go good with the rustic look I think.
                    Thanks, and good question. I like the look of the metal as-is, but I'm afraid that it might continue to rust under the epoxy, if I leave it as-is.

So, I'm thinking about removing the rust and painting it. Maybe a thick coat of rusty metal primer, followed by a thin coat of satin black, or something like that.

The other idea that I've toyed with is to take the steel down to bare metal, and then blacken it with a torch and vegetable oil. I tried that on a small sample, and liked the look. Kind of like an old cast iron skillet. I'm not sure if the epoxy will adhere to that finish, though.

I'm open to ideas.

Comment

Following this build!

Comment

Looking fantastic so far!

Todd

Comment

small progress...

I don't have much progress to show, but I did get these 1.5 x 1/8" steel straps cut in, drilled, and mounted to the underside of the desktop.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any good donor material for these pieces, so I had to buy them new. OnlineMetals.com to the rescue.

Hopefully, I can make some more progress on it this weekend.
                          Attached Files

Comment

a little progress

I didn't spend as much time in the garage as I had hoped this weekend, but I did finish adding steel to the desktop. It looks kind of odd now with a mix of old and new steel, but both will be finished the same way, so that will go away.

I'm questioning whether it was a good idea to retain the live edge on the one board, since it forces me to do some strange things where the steel meets that rounded edge. We'll see in the end how that turns out.

I think it's time to start adding legs next.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Coming along real nice on this cool project. This is looking awesome.

Comment

legs

Welding the 1x2" steel legs to the underside angles. Trying to get them all to the same height, and perpendicular to the table/floor. There's probably a better way to do this, but I couldn't think of it.

Next, I'll add some braces between the legs for stability.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X