Peanuts for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peanuts for deer?

Lyssy and Eckel sells 50lb bags of peanuts for deer. Has anyone used peanuts and if so what were your results? I realize they're mostly just carbs, but did deer like them?

They love them.

Comment

Good source of protein and fat too.

Comment

Mostly just carbs??? Peanuts are mostly fat and protein
        Calories: 567 in 3.5 oz
        Protein: 25.8 grams
        Carbs: 16.1 grams
        Sugar: 4.7 grams
        Fat: 49.2 grams

Over in Northwest Texas, the deer herd feasts on peanuts by choice. So much that their body fat has a yellow color vs white.

Comment

Deer don't like em and if they do eat em it makes their horns shrink

Comment

Try animal crackers.

Comment

We used to feed raw peanuts to our pen deer. They absolutely love them. Shell and all....

I bet that 50 lb bag isn’t cheap.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't realize peanuts had that much protein

Comment

My brief experience with them was a little varied. We don't typically feed peanuts or use them but I was chasing a buck that just wouldn't cooperate. I tried throwing all kinds of stuff out hoping he'd get hooked on one of them and come in consistently. Some deer didn't pay any attention to them and would eat around them but others liked them a lot. Target buck never got into them or cared for them.

I got in the stand one morning about an hour and a half before daylight with a very bright full moon overhead. I barely had the door of the blind closed before a mature buck was mowing the peanuts down. He was a known deer and I watched him in the moonlight and listened to him crunching peanuts for an hour before he finally ate his fill and eased off. That buck had to have watched/heard me walk in and get in the blind, but he was on those peanuts fast and just couldn't get enough of them.

I think like everything else, it just depends

Comment

curious how much as well? Buddy feeds peanut hay and says the deer tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                      We used to feed raw peanuts to our pen deer. They absolutely love them. Shell and all....

I bet that 50 lb bag isn’t cheap.
                      $41 per bag.

Comment

We hunted a large piece of land in Brady years ago that was a farm that grew peanuts. The deer would be in those fields most of the day eating.

Comment

This is one of 6 spots where I feed peanuts every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

/\ holy buck farm batman!

Comment

What the buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X