Oil change, thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my 99 Tacoma and change it every 10k

I have checked it before at 5k and it still looked like when I put it in, 7.5k and it was tinted but not dark so I figure 10k is fine.

Truck has 291k on it and still going fine

Matter of fact it is getting oil changed in the driveway before lunch

Comment

Mobile 1 Synthetic at 10k or once a year.. I've done that with my 2008 F150 since new. With most of vehicles it ends up being once a year, My F150 only has 97k miles on it. I guess I don't drive a lot anymore. The RV is the only one that may get close to 10k per year.

Comment

Clean new oil is the life of your engine especially with all the sophisticated new pollution and fuel economy gadgets in motors today like variable cam and valve timing, cam drive chains and other advance/retard components. I am in the old school 3000 mile class and even more so now with all the new engine features.
        It helps that most engines now hold several more quarts of oil to help it last longer. Even so it still gets dirty that you can't see or feel. All sorts of corrosive contaminants from blow by on the rings no matter how good the rings seal. My new Cheby holds 8 quarts but that's a small price to pay compared to replacing the motor before 200k miles. One VVT lifter or pump valve failure is all it takes.

Comment

When I was running Shaffer in my last 3 trucks I changed the oil every 30k . Changed the filter every 10k . I would send the oil to them and they would analyze it and tell me to change it or run it longer . The shop that sent it off for me closed down so I’m not doing that anymore.

Comment

I change it around 5000 miles but I use a synthetic blend rather than full synthetic.

Comment

I changed mine every 15K, full synthetic, on my 2013 Ram. 300,000 miles no issues, no engine blow by. Was running great when I sold it.

Comment

My trailblazer died at 300k. I changed the oil about every 20-30k

Comment

Have 2017 ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. Get oil changed every 5k with tire rotation. Manual says 7500 but do it at 5k. Uses full synthetic. No issues with it. Wufe has a 2015 ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi and change it at 5000 with tire rotation. No issues with either truck. Both trucks only 50,000 on em.

Comment

Every 5K regardless of what manual says, even though it’s what is recommended with my Toyota. Easy math to remember when to change it and tires get rotated same time. I’m sure I could go longer but I would have to make separate trips to have tires rotated. Plus, I get my services done at the dealer which does some odd number point inspection every time I go in. Having things checked out every 5K vs 10K could prevent a big problem later down the road. The difference in cost for me of having the oil changed every 5K vs 10K is about $160 a year. That’s not a lot of savings over the course of a year. Plus my dealer gets to look over my truck 4 times a year vs 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Shu View Post
                      Oil changes are cheap compared to a new engine. Every 5,000 miles on all my vehicles.
                      Smart man.

Comment

Oil change, thoughts

Engines burn much cleaner that in the past. Oil technologies are better as well.

I use regular Rotella in my Cummins. I’ve run it as high as 16k miles. Had a Blackstone oil analysis and the oil was still sufficient.

Now I normally change around 7500 miles, rotate my tires and the same time and change fuel filters every other change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Chevys use a little oil, you need to be checking your dip stick, actually open the hood every now and then lol. If I drove 15k with out an oil change It would cost me a motor I think. I'm changing it every 5500 miles about with mobile 1 full synthetic

Comment

Change every 5000 miles and use Mobil one. 17' F-150 ecoboost.

Comment

Amsoil Signature Series 25,000 mile oil with Amsoil filter. I change once a year so it’s about 15,000 miles.

Comment

2013 F150 Ecoboost 5k miles Motorcraft synthetic blend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X