Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
    I hope it is too for you.

Yes we put a bag of corn out a day. And it was all gone the next day. They do check the corn on this hunt so make sure that it is certified.
    I plan on Scattering a Bag of Corn everyday. My Academy has less than 20 ppb Aflatoxin certified corn on hand. At least the bag is marked that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Thank you for answering. I was hoping ya would. This may make a difference in whether I camp there or some place else.
      We are pulling an RV to Oxford Ranch Campground about 15 minutes north of Enchanted Rock. Rates are very reasonable.

Comment

Thank you for answering. I was hoping ya would. This may make a difference in whether I camp there or some place else.
        The Lady at Oxford Ranch Campground said AT&T and Verizon has good Service at their Campground. I have T-Mobile so will have to see if I have a Signal or not. Hope at least Texting works.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
          I’ll be there in October for an archery hunt. If you remember reach back out and I can hopefully provide you with some insight
          Give us an update when you get back home. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
            Absolutely not! No cell service what so ever once I got outside of Fburg
            Att works in random spots my wife did a internship there 2 years ago got service in one of the parking lots and by the office at times

Comment

Service is really spotty all over the park. Wouldn’t count on having service out there.

The park people are great and really work hard on this hunt. It’s a jam up group. They said there are 3 big groups of Aoudad running around, plenty of deer, pigs, small group of axis, and even a couple Mouflon. The limit was five deer plus the exotics. 4 doe and a buck or 3 doe and two bucks with one being a spike. Everyone saw deer. Plenty of people shot. They have been putting corn out since September. Bring corn to put out while your there. They take you to the blinds but you need a chair. It’s a tough ride out. Climbing rocks, going three tight spots, etc. but not to bad. But man it’s a pretty place. With tons of deer.

My story wasn’t so fortunate. First day, within the first 10 minutes of settling in the blind, I tried to see if I had room to draw my compound and got halfway back, hit the release by accident and dry fired. ****. Everything looked fine though. About an hour before sunset a doe wakes out broadside at 20 yards. Drew back and figured out my string had twisted and my peep sight was sideways. Skipped the next morning hunt and drove to stonewall to the closest bow shop and got my string fixed.

Hunted that evening and a doe walked out at about 30 yards. She spotted me about halfway through my draw back. I had hurt my shoulder two weeks ago in the gym and it just started feeling better. She looked back down and I drew the rest of the way back and right when I did I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. Let the arrow fly and heard it hit. Arrow passed through and had good blood but couldn’t find her. So I only got two hunts in and now I need time to let me shoulder heal up. Thinking real hard about trying in the morning anyway. We’ll see how it feels in the morning.

But it’s a great hunt with good opportunity. I would love to draw it again. Especially the archery hunt. I’m not sure how all of the blinds are but mine the furthest shot you could take is 60 yards. No need for a rifle. Can’t say enough good things about the guys and girl operating the hunt.

Comment

Thanks for the update sir!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
                  Service is really spotty all over the park. Wouldn’t count on having service out there.

The park people are great and really work hard on this hunt. It’s a jam up group. They said there are 3 big groups of Aoudad running around, plenty of deer, pigs, small group of axis, and even a couple Mouflon. The limit was five deer plus the exotics. 4 doe and a buck or 3 doe and two bucks with one being a spike. Everyone saw deer. Plenty of people shot. They have been putting corn out since September. Bring corn to put out while your there. They take you to the blinds but you need a chair. It’s a tough ride out. Climbing rocks, going three tight spots, etc. but not to bad. But man it’s a pretty place. With tons of deer.

My story wasn’t so fortunate. First day, within the first 10 minutes of settling in the blind, I tried to see if I had room to draw my compound and got halfway back, hit the release by accident and dry fired. ****. Everything looked fine though. About an hour before sunset a doe wakes out broadside at 20 yards. Drew back and figured out my string had twisted and my peep sight was sideways. Skipped the next morning hunt and drove to stonewall to the closest bow shop and got my string fixed.

Hunted that evening and a doe walked out at about 30 yards. She spotted me about halfway through my draw back. I had hurt my shoulder two weeks ago in the gym and it just started feeling better. She looked back down and I drew the rest of the way back and right when I did I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. Let the arrow fly and heard it hit. Arrow passed through and had good blood but couldn’t find her. So I only got two hunts in and now I need time to let me shoulder heal up. Thinking real hard about trying in the morning anyway. We’ll see how it feels in the morning.

But it’s a great hunt with good opportunity. I would love to draw it again. Especially the archery hunt. I’m not sure how all of the blinds are but mine the furthest shot you could take is 60 yards. No need for a rifle. Can’t say enough good things about the guys and girl operating the hunt.
                  Sorry about the shoulder, that really sucks! Do they have a skinning shed or a place to skin and quarter and ice down in your Ice Chest? Do they want you to Field Dress in the field or bring them in whole. Was not sure if they had a facility that you could process your own deer inside the park. Your report has me pumped up now! Thanks for the update! Will be there Nov 9 thru Nov 12 with Rifle in hand!

Comment

I have another question also. What type of blinds did/do they provide? Just a drug up brush blind? And what if the wind is not favorable? Can someone move to the other side of an area or bait?

Comment

Sorry to hear about the shoulder and busted hunt. It is good to hear that they bait the way they do. I grew up in the midwest. If people dont kill the deer then starvation will. Sounds like they really need animals off the property.

Comment

I have another question also. What type of blinds did/do they provide? Just a drug up brush blind? And what if the wind is not favorable? Can someone move to the other side of an area or bait?
                        I think I am going to bring my Pop Up Blind just in case.

Comment

How is the acorn crop inside the park? I assume since they have been feeding inside the park since September that they are hammering the corn!!

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
                            I think I am going to bring my Pop Up Blind just in case.

Rodger that. I'll be bringing one in case it rains. And my rain gear.

Last time I got drawn, I broke my chair. Went to Gibson's in Kerrville and bought another/different kind. It broke on the first sit too. That was for a different hunt in the area.

I've lost some weight since. And have a chair set up for this hunt that's rated for 400lbs, even though I'm half that now.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-23-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Legs are height adjustable and removable, arm is rachet adjustable, and chair swivels. I hunt a lot of public in a lot of places. This chair will get used in other places too. I used just the chair last year when duck hunting. Super comfy. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_150242.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	24665974Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_150306.jpg
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	24665975Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_150330.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	24665976

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
                                Sorry about the shoulder, that really sucks! Do they have a skinning shed or a place to skin and quarter and ice down in your Ice Chest? Do they want you to Field Dress in the field or bring them in whole. Was not sure if they had a facility that you could process your own deer inside the park. Your report has me pumped up now! Thanks for the update! Will be there Nov 9 thru Nov 12 with Rifle in hand!
                                They do have a place to hang and skin/quarter deer. They do have ice on site. You can field dress in the field or when you get back to the camp site. The hunt manager is a hunter himself and try’s to run a great hunt. He really prides himself on his tracking skills and has a great find rate on the archery deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X