No announcement yet.

Sonora / Sutton County 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt near Devils river state park, not far from Sonora. The thread mentioned the whitetail being wiped out, in my experience on my lease, we have lacked mature bucks but have ton a exotics. Please tell what happened to the whitetail years ago in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
      I hunt near Devils river state park, not far from Sonora. The thread mentioned the whitetail being wiped out, in my experience on my lease, we have lacked mature bucks but have ton a exotics. Please tell what happened to the whitetail years ago in this area.
      Anthrax wiped them out a few years ago. very few south of 10 and west of 277 made it through that summer.

Comment

we are south of 10 about 12 miles and still struggling. Our place is showing some signs of life. It does not look like we have had a fawn crop since the Anthrax hit. We have some 3.5 year old deer running around and a few 4.5 to 5.5. Our buck population looks to be double what our doe population is. Before all this happened for years we had a very solid age structure and maintained a 2:1 and very near 1:1 ratio. Still have a long road to recovery for sure.

Comment

We did a camera survey this past weekend.

Deer count from 8 locations.
          6000 acres

7 /2-3pt bucks
          24 / 4-7 pt bucks
          42 / 8+ pt bucks
          22 does
          17 fawns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We hunt just outside of Sonora. We are hit very hard in some pastures and less in others (6000 acres). Less in the Northern most pastures and devastated in the Southern most pastures. The year the Anthrax hit we had 2 major flash floods just prior. One was historic and unearthed ground that probably had not seen the light of day in 100's of years. What we found was that the draws were by far hit the worst. We found dead deer every where! In the hills, not so much. Like others, our bucks were not hit very hard but the does (who tend to travel the draws much more were hammered. Bucks don't tend to travel the draws as much when not in rut as they stay in heavy cover more. We have not had tags (MLD ) the past 2 years. Not sure we will this year although the herd has significantly increased. Lots of double fawn drops this year with excellent fawn survival rates. Our helicopter survey will happen in the next few days and our final spotlight survey soon after to complete surveys for this season. I don't anticipate many if any tags but we should be in good condition by next year. It has been tough but our group stayed put (had the lease since the late 80's). We still go out and "hunt" (count deer) during the season as we are all management minded and actually enjoy watching the fruits of our labor. We have been pouring the feed all along to help them out and they are back to consuming close to pre anthrax amounts.

Comment

I should have stated this to give some perspective. In the norther most pastures we lost about 50% of the herd. In the Southern most pastures we lost up to 95%. A little South of us I know places that were high fenced that sis not have a live animal left on the place and had to completely restock!

Comment

Originally posted by TexHunter12 View Post
                We hunt just outside of Sonora. We are hit very hard in some pastures and less in others (6000 acres). Less in the Northern most pastures and devastated in the Southern most pastures. The year the Anthrax hit we had 2 major flash floods just prior. One was historic and unearthed ground that probably had not seen the light of day in 100's of years. What we found was that the draws were by far hit the worst. We found dead deer every where! In the hills, not so much. Like others, our bucks were not hit very hard but the does (who tend to travel the draws much more were hammered. Bucks don't tend to travel the draws as much when not in rut as they stay in heavy cover more. We have not had tags (MLD ) the past 2 years. Not sure we will this year although the herd has significantly increased. Lots of double fawn drops this year with excellent fawn survival rates. Our helicopter survey will happen in the next few days and our final spotlight survey soon after to complete surveys for this season. I don't anticipate many if any tags but we should be in good condition by next year. It has been tough but our group stayed put (had the lease since the late 80's). We still go out and "hunt" (count deer) during the season as we are all management minded and actually enjoy watching the fruits of our labor. We have been pouring the feed all along to help them out and they are back to consuming close to pre anthrax amounts.

Where about is you place. We are off bond road checked cams for the first time. Saw only about 5 -6 different small bucks and 2-3 doe. Feeders have only been out for a week though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled cards today. Plenty of WT. nothing huge yet. Few axis in the mix. Supposed to get some good rain today

Comment

We are West of town about 8mi.

Comment

We are West of town about 8mi.

How was the opening weekend?

Comment

Good so far. I’m here until Thursday. Had a solid 160 class main frame 10 with split G2’s and 3’s come around this evening. Came to within 50 yards. Heck of a deer. Seeing good numbers so far.

Comment

Good so far. I’m here until Thursday. Had a solid 160 class main frame 10 with split G2’s and 3’s come around this evening. Came to within 50 yards. Heck of a deer. Seeing good numbers so far.
                          That has to be promising to see that caliber deer! Is he on the shoot or pass list? I’m anxious to get out to the lease and hunt this coming wkend. Didn’t hunt opening so it’s time to get out there!!!

Comment

Dang a 160 is awesome and I’m guessing low fence!? That’s a great deer for the area!

Comment

I don't think i have seen a deer break 130 in my area. We are trying to manage our area for the health of the herd. What is the G.S's opinion for full genetic potential in this area on average? Is 140 (5 year old ) to be expected with a good rain season, year round corn and supplemental protein?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
                                I don't think i have seen a deer break 130 in my area. We are trying to manage our area for the health of the herd. What is the G.S's opinion for full genetic potential in this area on average? Is 140 (5 year old ) to be expected with a good rain season, year round corn and supplemental protein?
                                I've been out there for many years and 120's to 130's is realistic for a mature buck. We've killed a few in the 40's and 50"s

I'm headed out Thursday and staying until Monday for my opener. Ready to unwind.

Comment

Working...
                                X