No announcement yet.

Building on raw land and the tax consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all of the responses. Some good info to chew on.

Since I know they already know about the well, and I am going to run a water trough before ever connecting it to the house. I am going to tell them about that through my annual Wildlife report. With all of the rock in the area, I plan on running a "poor boy" septic, so I would prefer to keep the inspections to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post

Since I know they already know about the well, and I am going to run a water trough before ever connecting it to the house. I am going to tell them about that through my annual Wildlife report. With all of the rock in the area, I plan on running a "poor boy" septic, so I would prefer to keep the inspections to a minimum.
      It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
      This is Texas, get with it

Comment

just curious, what do you do for a "poor boy" septic? I've seen some different designs and had one on another place but, never built one. I'm going to do something similar with a small metal barn/living area

Comment

Travel trailer will save you lots

Comment

I dont really know. But have been looking on youtube and pinterest, and will probably end up combining a few ideas. Nothing I see online has anyone working in the amount of rock that I have.

Comment

They base it on the sq/ft of the building. At least most counties do.

Good luck. I know there are a few on TBH that bought crap land, improved it on their own dime (or hundreds of thousands) and then had to pay stupid high taxes because they fixed it up.

Comment

Here's a suggestion....
                *As long as you maintain your Ag Exemption per guidelines it will continue
                *ANY residential building you do will be evaluated and taxed per COUNTY tax regulations. You can still claim up to 1 acre where your home sits for Homestead Exemption. This will NOT disqualify your AG exemption unless the ONE acre Homestead subtracts from the acreage specified for AG exemption per the county your are in.
                *They are NOT allowed to come inside your residence, rather from my experience they will visit, unannounced and see what has been added...Hood County based.
                ***If you put up additional "out buildings....Barn, Game Room, Shop, etc., this is what I did and it saved $$$."

**I had a 14x32 shop, 14x40 game room and a 24x32 guest house/storage...these were the delivered structures and left on skids. Just like a mobile, if they are not on a foundation and anchored to the dirt...well...the way to go.

Just some thoughts but been there and done that...do your research and discount most of what you get for advice..including mine, lol! But, hopefully it at least provides you some ideas and options...WHEN you get the REAL story from your county appraisers office.

Good Luck

Comment

I’ve been curious about this subject, following

Comment

I won't soon forget how the county showed up to check on my "new building" they had spotted from the air on a vacant piece of property less than a month after I had it built....

they are plenty nice to deal with, but they tend to 'assume' things in their favor just to get a peek inside or to drive the value up. The most recent deal was that they assumed that my barn was finished off on the inside....right behind the double 12'x14' doors.

He actually acted surprised when I opened the big door and there was no wall.

Comment

Very interesting topic. If someone accidentally kills an illegal deer and you don’t turn yourself people question your integrity, but it’s ok to lie about the type of cabin your building to keep your ag exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by klepdo View Post
                        Very interesting topic. If someone accidentally kills an illegal deer and you don’t turn yourself people question your integrity, but it’s ok to lie about the type of cabin your building to keep your ag exemption.
                        It’s ok to deceive the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                          It’s ok to deceive the enemy.
                          You’re right that’s why I kill a deer a day. Is only illegal if they catch you.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the ag exemption but I understand your point.

Although it could be argued that property taxes are BS level 10.

So at what point is it ok to lie? When they raise them how much? I mean they go up every freaking year and we have no control over it. Don't side step the question...

IMO when you buy a home your tax rate should stay the same as long as you own it.

Comment

Do you not fight your property taxes? How about take any deductions on your personal taxes? Hire a CPA?

I never said I am trying to lie to anyone. Even the government, who lies to us all of the time

I like Kumas line of thinking. The structure isnt "attached" and by their own definition isnt permanent. Might throw a few used tires around the base just in case they show up unannounced.

Comment

Do you not fight your property taxes? How about take any deductions on your personal taxes? Hire a CPA?

I never said I am trying to lie to anyone. Even the government, who lies to us all of the time

I like Kumas line of thinking. The structure isnt "attached" and by their own definition isnt permanent. Might throw a few used tires around the base just in case they show up unannounced.
                                Here they tax it unless it's under a certain size. Otherwise it's just considered like a mobile home. One can get away with RV's or tiny homes and I think that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X