No announcement yet.

The one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the 6.5 but it fails badly at large game. Likewise 300WM isn't ideal for smaller game.

You could make a solid argument for 270/7mag/280ai, but in my opinion .308 deserves its popularity as an ideal all-arounder.

Comment

6.5 PRC would be my vote because I have one and it’s a shooter! I would shoot an elk or moose with it at reasonable ranges. If I had to truly pick one as an all arounder besides what I have already it would be a 280AI.

Comment

I'd have Kelbly's build me a custom 6.5x47 Lapua or a 6 Dasher and be done with it

Comment

.300 Win Mag.

Comment

I think range limits you more than caliber. 300 yards and under I'll shoot and kill anything in north America with my 270. Over 300 I'll take the 300 win mag. It's all about bullet placement shoot em in the ear hole and they wont take a step...

Comment

.300 WM or WSM

Comment

That's kind of like saying you want a vehicle that you can use at the lease and at the racetrack. Any rifle that is going to do well in LR competition is not what you want to carry in the field. Conversely, hunting setups are not as stable at the bench. Small to big game? Exactly what cartridge would you use for rabbits and moose? I already have a rifle that meets most of those requirements, it wouldn't place in a real competition as it currently sits but has proven itself in the hunting world, the .280.

Based on your username it seems like your fishing for people to say 6.5 Creedmoor. Yea, it's a good cartridge but in that class as a handloader I would pick the 6.5x47 over it any day of the week.

Comment

280 AI Boom..:: mic dropped..:::

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                    That's kind of like saying you want a vehicle that you can use at the lease and at the racetrack. Any rifle that is going to do well in LR competition is not what you want to carry in the field. Conversely, hunting setups are not as stable at the bench. Small to big game? Exactly what cartridge would you use for rabbits and moose? I already have a rifle that meets most of those requirements, it wouldn't place in a real competition as it currently sits but has proven itself in the hunting world, the .280.

Based on your username it seems like your fishing for people to say 6.5 Creedmoor. Yea, it's a good cartridge but in that class as a handloader I would pick the 6.5x47 over it any day of the week.
                    Not fishing for the 6.5CM more like trying to get ideas on another build.

Comment

Like others said a true do all will be hard. Your going to have to sacrifice somewhere. So I would say

7-08, 7-08ai, 308 and sacrifice on really large game like moose.

Comment

6.5 SAUM or 6.5 PRC is one of the few calibers to meet all the requirements in a lower recoil package. You’ll want lower recoil if you actually intend to compete. 6.5-284 is a great option if barrel life isn’t a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          I love the 6.5 but it fails badly at large game. Likewise 300WM isn't ideal for smaller game.

You could make a solid argument for 270/7mag/280ai, but in my opinion .308 deserves its popularity as an ideal all-arounder.
                          We don’t have anything in NA I wouldn’t be comfortable shooting with my 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                            I think range limits you more than caliber. 300 yards and under I'll shoot and kill anything in north America with my 270. Over 300 I'll take the 300 win mag. It's all about bullet placement shoot em in the ear hole and they wont take a step...
                            Try brown bear in a thick alder patch on the peninsula or on Kodiak
                            that 270 would feel mighty tiny

Comment

I think my.280 Rem (without the artificialinsemination) would do anything I want to do.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X