Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building 6.5 Grendal on AR-15 platform. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can add to the bear creek , dont do it. Father has one and cant get it to group for anything.
    I've had a Radical full gun and it shot 1" at 100 with no load work at all.
    Best build I have is Alexander BCG and upper with a 20" Shilen barrel. Shoots under 1/2" at 100. Vortex HS LR up top and it has stayed perfect for 7 years. Know my drops for what I need hunting and have dialed out to past 600 ringing 2" plates consistently

Comment

Anyone have thoughts on Satern barrels? This one in particular?

Also...could someone explain what a "head spaced" bolt is? Assuming I'd have to put together BCG as this only comes with the bolt. What components make up a bcg?

Comment

Easy peasy to change the bolt. No different than when you strip your 556 BCG down to clean. Just replace the 556 bolt with the Grendel.

Comment

Or thoughts on this...?

Comment

Ok, so got a bit distracted and am just now getting around to researching and building.

Bought a Faxon 18" match grade for my first one. It was on sale, had great reviews, under $200. Initially I wanted to build a gun that could go as far as I would ever want it to go, but now that I'm on a lease and know what shots I'd be taking, there's no reason right now as I'd have a shot no longer than about 600 on hogs and 400 or lease on deer once I build up some confidence. I felt good about having enough power with a shorter barrel to reach out to about 600. Eh, we'll see.

Anyway - that brought me to my next question. I was hoping to save a bit of $ on the BCG. Can I get away with mixing and matching BCG/barrel? And, if you can answer this one... What's the difference between type 1 and type 2 BCG??

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
              Do not use a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel is about all I got. 6” groups at 50 yards were the norm for both of the barrels I tried.
              I have a Bear Creek 20" stainless twisted flute 1:8 twist and it performs great. I am curious why yall are having issues?

Comment

1) Adjustable gas block 2) faxon 16”-18” gunner barrel 416R 5R rifling sub moa barrel everything else is preference

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  Ok, so got a bit distracted and am just now getting around to researching and building.

Bought a Faxon 18" match grade for my first one. It was on sale, had great reviews, under $200. Initially I wanted to build a gun that could go as far as I would ever want it to go, but now that I'm on a lease and know what shots I'd be taking, there's no reason right now as I'd have a shot no longer than about 600 on hogs and 400 or lease on deer once I build up some confidence. I felt good about having enough power with a shorter barrel to reach out to about 600. Eh, we'll see.

Anyway - that brought me to my next question. I was hoping to save a bit of $ on the BCG. Can I get away with mixing and matching BCG/barrel? And, if you can answer this one... What's the difference between type 1 and type 2 BCG??

Thanks all.

I wouldn’t skimp on the BCG. As to the type 1 and type 2 the only differences between type 1 and 2 are are in the chamber. Bolt wouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I wouldn’t skimp on the BCG. As to the type 1 and type 2 the only differences between type 1 and 2 are are in the chamber. Bolt wouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Wrong.

OP research type 1 and 2 Grendel bolts

Comment

"The 6.5 Grendel type 2 bolt or original Grendel was designed to be used with a Grendel bolt, or a 0.135/0.136 bolt face. Meanwhile, the 6.5 Grendel type 1 bolt has a 0.125 bolt depth."

Comment

Originally posted by MRW View Post
                        Wrong.

OP research type 1 and 2 Grendel bolts

Tell that to Bill Alexander. That was the answer straight from him at SHOT show.

Comment

I researched and found out I can only do a type 2. Type 1 isn't compatible. Just my luck Faxon is out of the type 2 bcg.

Comment

Get a good barrel and trigger.

My 20” Shilen barrel will consistently shoot 1/2 moa.

Comment

The type 1 grendel bolt is the same as the 7.62x39. The type two is recessed ten-thousandths deeper. If you have a type 1 barrel and use the type 2 bolt, you instantly have a 0.010 too long headspace at the minimum. Reverse the situation, and the bolt won't close. I went through the same scenario a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
                                The type 1 grendel bolt is the same as the 7.62x39. The type two is recessed ten-thousandths deeper. If you have a type 1 barrel and use the type 2 bolt, you instantly have a 0.010 too long headspace at the minimum. Reverse the situation, and the bolt won't close. I went through the same scenario a few years ago.
                                Thank you... Looks like type 2 is made specifically for Grendel so that is what I will be looking for. Appreciate the information.

Comment

Working...
                                X