2019 APR TBH Special Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
    Here are the pics I took today to go along with my explanation in post #166 above concerning the 6.5 PRC on short action builds for this deal.

This is a 6.5PRC factory round in a standard short action mag box.

This is a 6.5 PRC factory round in a Wyatt's extended mag box.

This is the area at the back of the mag well that has to be milled for the extended box.

And here is where things get tricky. You can see the ejector will have to be shortened to keep from encroaching into the space of the extended mag box.

You can also see here how shortening the ejector will be reduce it's mechanical advantage over the case being cleared from the bolt face. The shorter it gets, the less force it will have clearing empties.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion about why we are recommending long actions for those wanting to do 6.5 PRC builds on this year's TBH deal.

Hmmmm I thought the PRC was built to run in a short action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes, the 375H&H is very doable and we have 4 of them in the works right now. One is a high grade wood blank on the case colored receiver that should be a stunner. I would not use this particular blueprint for a 375 H&H build personally, but it could be done. McMillan is doing a new walnut like molded finish that should make for a real classic look, yet still retain the bomb-proof stability of a good synthetic. I'm doing this with a red pad, case colored receiver and banded front sight on my personal 375 project right now. It will look the part, but still be weather proof.....mostly. Yes, the TL was the base for these actions. They have both been modified from the original design to meet our specs.

I lean towards real wood to help mitigate recoil. Is that one of the new McMillan stocks? I haven’t seen one in person yet but that looks amazingly realistic. What’s the cost on that case color action? Feel free to PM if it’ll derail this thread. I’ll keep an eye out for pricing too on this carbon deal

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
        I would be in again if it was the ultralight version. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a Cooper Backcountry but a full custom that is only 3/4-1 pound heavier at a lower price point would have me changing my mind.
        Me too, 5.75 lbs, Jewell trigger and 1/2" guarantee. What's not to like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Hmmmm I thought the PRC was built to run in a short action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          So did everyone else. Built to run in "some" short actions would be a better description. Lol. Like I stated earlier, it can be squeezed into service by going DBM. The frustrating part is, they would not have been giving up much performance by seating the bullet a little deeper to run in all short action platforms.

The first gen reamer produced was set up for exactly that. Then the ammo that was released later showed up at 2.945". I still have that original reamer, but it would cause big problems with the factory ammo thats out there now. This is the reason we weren't building any late last year. We had a couple already done when the first batch of ammo arrived, but got a big surprise when we started measuring it.

Not knocking the round as all of that can be worked around. I'm currently running 2 of them and couldn't be more pleased with accuracy and performance. One of them is running North of 3.100fps with the 147 factory load and prints tiny little groups.
          Last edited by Stick1; 12-16-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

A tier 1 in 6 creed would be a sweeeet coyote calling rifle as well as deer gun.
            Robert how do you like the 6 creed? They shoot as well with factory ammo as the 6.5? I reload, but with 2 little girls under 3 i just don't have the time right now. My custom 6.5 shoots so well with hornady ammo out to 1k I don't see the need to.

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
              A tier 1 in 6 creed would be a sweeeet coyote calling rifle as well as deer gun.
              Robert how do you like the 6 creed? They shoot as well with factory ammo as the 6.5? I reload, but with 2 little girls under 3 i just don't have the time right now. My custom 6.5 shoots so well with hornady ammo out to 1k I don't see the need to.
              You'll like it plenty. Not as many factory offerings obviously, but what is available tends to shoot pretty good.

Comment

Any idea on price?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
                  Any idea on price?
                  Post 160,. Its on the way!!!

Comment

Following

Comment

You'll like it plenty. Not as many factory offerings obviously, but what is available tends to shoot pretty good.
                      What would optimal bbl length in one be? 24" in a lightweight build I'd definitely not go longer than 24 and would like 22" or even 20" if it wouldn't be too inefficient.

Comment

might be in for one probably tier 1.. looking at a backpack gun so I will wait around and see what the final prduct/price looks like

Comment

I'm not letting myself miss this one like I did the last.

I'd be in for either a lightweight varmint rifle in a 22 creed or 6mm creed, or a mountain rifle in 280 AI.

Will the stock have a fairly wide forend? Also I would like to see it with flush cups for a sling on the sides. And if I'm getting real picky maybe a spot underneath in the middle to attach an arca swiss plate for tripod mounts?

Comment

When the stock comes in and I hear back from a couple folks next week, I'll have everything I need to make an "official"post with all of the details and pricing. This is going to be a smoking deal based on what I've got back so far. Hang tight, its going to be worth the wait!
                            Let us know so I can find out when my divorce date is............. I am not going to miss out on this deal again even if I am going to get in trouble.

Comment

Actual G2 action for comparison

No open bridge
                              I would prefer no open bridge could this action be subbed for the tier 1?
                              I’ll be in for either the 6.5prc in a long or a 22 creedmoor in a short.

Comment

Does for sure need flush cup options

Comment

Working...
                                X