Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    If you really had an itch you woulda bought Lil’ Pepe! You have too many free rides to need a boat!!!
    LOL! You're right! That's the thought that I keep coming around to when I start getting the itch. Since you mentioned it, I just counted 6 different boats that I've fished from in the last 3 weeks (although Josh's wasn't free! )
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      There is a spot in the Majek for you and Jnet, you tell me when..
      We're in! I don't turn down many offers to go fishing!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Broke Port A jetties at sunrise Saturday with plans to run about 25 out for snapper and then work our way back inshore to target tarpon until our oil filter ruptured at 19 miles with 7 on board. My two sons McGyvered the filter with electrical tape, towel, and zipties so that we were able to idle towards packery (proud Dad moment). Luckily Saturday was a beautiful day and there were many boats out and all that came by checked on us (idling with cowling off draws attention) which we all found comforting. A couple boats offered to end their trip and tow us in but we declined since we knew sea tow was en route.

Huge kudos to USCG for constant contact on the radio and for making the call to sea tow for us. Few lessons learned, just because an oil filter fits does not mean its designed for the higher rpm/pressure of an outboard (this I had no clue on). Carry extra oil filters (knew this but didn't). Don't underestimate the importance of a good radio and antenna, my boat came with a much larger antenna than I've put on a boat before, I appreciated it greatly Saturday.

I have Progressive insurance on my boat through farm bureau that includes towing services, ended up being towed a total of 13 miles back to Packery, cost me $0 (plus a tip). Captain said it would have been right at $2000 if I didn't have insurance. Worth noting that the Progressive rep stayed in constant communication with us (thru USCG, text, and phone) until we were safely back inshore as well.

I've run my own boat in the salt since I was 14, never quit learning and know you cannot over prepare. Stay safe out there fellas

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Sorry for the pic size...I'm new here!
          You'll do anything to make those fish bigger!

Comment

great info RVD, learn something new everyday. Glad you had a (somewhat) happy ending.

Comment

Anyone ever spent the night in a back lake with no mosquito spray? If not I’ll let you know how it goes. Stuck like chuck until the tide comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyWitt View Post
                Anyone ever spent the night in a back lake with no mosquito spray? If not I’ll let you know how it goes. Stuck like chuck until the tide comes in.
                I did in The Upper Laguna near the shoreline once. It sucked until about ten when the wind started blowing.

Comment

That’s not good, stay off the bank and hopefully the wind is blowing for you.

Comment

How much beer do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy that has said they had to go Karankawa and start rubbing themselves down with marsh mud. Once the tide came in and sun got up enough to see they just went for a swim to get it all off and hauled arse to get away from the vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        How much beer do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Not enough. Lol

Comment

I’m directly in the middle of this lake and the wind is blowing for now. Haven’t had a single skeeter. Y’all pray for hard winds and high tides.

Comment

Finally had a chance to get all 3 of my boys down to Mansfield this last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m directly in the middle of this lake and the wind is blowing for now. Haven’t had a single skeeter. Y’all pray for hard winds and high tides.
                              Lol... dang bubba I've been there... TWICE! Neither time was much fun. Where you at?

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                                Lol... dang bubba I've been there... TWICE! Neither time was much fun. Where you at?
                                Luckily not far. Drum bay. Only about 150 yards from the ICW. That 150yards may as well be miles though. I would be fine, but for some reason my motor won’t tilt up so my lower unit is stuck in the mud even with the jack on 6”. Bottom isn’t quite soft enough to spin her up.

Comment

Working...
                                X