Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anvil and FORGE

Originally posted by Gunnyart;14148892e
    Thanks, I'm anxious to fire up the new forge for the first time.
    What style of FORGE are you going with ?

I'll need one in the short future, just looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Comment

I bought a single burner square type from eBay for $140ish. It does the job for the small stuff I'll do with it.

Comment

Very nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
          I have used anvils a lot with horsehoeing and blacksmithing if you’re going to be swinging that hammer a lot wrap a chain around the neck of that anvil and drive some angle iron in the wood on the corners to make sure it doesn’t pop out of that recess
          Great job

What does the chain do ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            What does the chain do ?
            For me it feels like it makes a more solid impact hit. Especially with a little anvil like that it will have some vibration if you ever use it for a cold hit or iron forging where the force imposed on it is nearly matched and the anvil will have a sort of vibration feel. I can usually tell by the amount of “bounce” whatever I’m hitting produces. Then you can unhook one end and drape it over whatever you are working on to hold it/absorb vibration in itself. An anvil that small is similar to a sugar baby model and is fairly top heavy with its small base

Comment

Looks great to me! I found an anvil like that at an antique store in Bandera. Went to find my wife to show her and a guy was standing by it when we got back and he had bought it.

Back to looking lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                Looks great to me! I found an anvil like that at an antique store in Bandera. Went to find my wife to show her and a guy was standing by it when we got back and he had bought it.

Back to looking lol.
                bummer

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  Looks great. Look up shou sugi ban for a finish on the wood. Would look great.

On second thought, likely wouldn’t work on pressure treated lumber.

Put the torch to a table I made from pallets.

Comment

Cool deal! I found one a few months ago and have been thinking of how to get it to a comfortable working height. Very well might use your design

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                      Cool deal! I found one a few months ago and have been thinking of how to get it to a comfortable working height. Very well might use your design
                      I didn't go in to a lot of detail but the biggest challenge I had was cutting the 6" x 6" accurately. If you have a chop saw make a stop so you can turn the piece and cut it smooth and accurate. I't'll save you the router work I had to do to level it.

Comment

Gotcha! I have a chop saw

Comment

That looks great

Comment

Working...
                          X