Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    Found a blackbuck on the ranch road that was laid up. Twice when he tried to stand he fell down. When he did get up and stagger off I noticed one of his legs was broken and swinging so I decided to put him down. Not the way I hoped or imagined, but my 4th free range exotic species taken off the ranch. No celebration ensued, I wanted this guy to grow bigger and actually hunt him, not a mercy kill. He had a puncture under his armpit and on the shoulder- I think he got his butt kicked in a fight by one of the larger guys running around.

Man, that's a bummer.. beautiful lil creature!

Comment

Edwards/Real Counties 2017/2018

Not excited about the warmer weather but I’m going to hit the road this afternoon for the ranch. Really hoping the 8pt I call Shorty gives me a shot opportunity.

Comment

I hunt off of 3235 between Garven store and Rocksprings in Real County. Rattled in 6 bucks last Sunday am. Nothing over 3 1/2 though. Most of the older bucks we had on cam have been no shows so far. Lots of acorns. My son did shoot a nice axis this summer. Can only get up there a couple more trips this year, so hopefully we will time it right.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sako; 11-30-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sako View Post
          I hunt off of 3235 between Garven store and Rocksprings in Real County. Rattled in 6 bucks last Sunday am. Nothing over 3 1/2 though. Most of the older bucks we had on cam have been no shows so far. Lots of acorns. My son did shoot a nice axis this summer. Can only get up there a couple more trips this year, so hopefully we will time it right.
          Beautiful Axis! Congratulations to your son!

Our buck axis had shed their horns.. we saw 2 or 3 big mature males with nubs this past week!

Comment

Found a blackbuck on the ranch road that was laid up. Twice when he tried to stand he fell down. When he did get up and stagger off I noticed one of his legs was broken and swinging so I decided to put him down. Not the way I hoped or imagined, but my 4th free range exotic species taken off the ranch. No celebration ensued, I wanted this guy to grow bigger and actually hunt him, not a mercy kill. He had a puncture under his armpit and on the shoulder- I think he got his butt kicked in a fight by one of the larger guys running around.

Bummer but a good story to go along with your trophy. The first buck that we caught last week in our DMP capture had a puncture wound in his shoulder. He is a nice 160" (4.5 yr old) buck but was not the correct buck so we let him go. Hopefully he makes it!

Comment

Great pics. Sorry to hear about the BB.

Comment

Incredible pics, looks like you need to invest in bigger feeders. What an abundance of wildlife.

Comment

Rosco, we saw a couple too that had nubs, but also saw a couple still in hard horn last week.

Comment

Our axis are shedding also. Found this pair last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                      Our axis are shedding also. Found this pair last weekend.
                      nice score!

Comment

Any of you guys going to have an opening for the 2018 season I'm in need of a new lease bad will to pay 4k maybe more for the right place would really like to have axis pm if you have something thanks.

Comment

Edwards/Real Counties 2017/2018

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                          Bummer but a good story to go along with your trophy. The first buck that we caught last week in our DMP capture had a puncture wound in his shoulder. He is a nice 160" (4.5 yr old) buck but was not the correct buck so we let him go. Hopefully he makes it!
                          Thanks Hunter. I don’t think the Blackbuck are quite as tough as a whitetail, thoughts? Got all caught up on your thread as well! Exciting stuff!
                          Originally posted by locknload View Post
                          Incredible pics, looks like you need to invest in bigger feeders. What an abundance of wildlife.
                          Those are 600 and 800lb feeders. Have 3 mega feeders coming in that will hold 2000lbs of timed protein and 1000lbs of corn mix to broadcast.

Went out to the ranch last Thursday through Sunday. Spent most of my time with the bow- starting at a feeder but quickly getting bored and stalking around. Couldn’t find anything mature enough. Ended up breaking out my .308 on Sunday morning because I had an itchy trigger finger. Maybe even a little blood lust? 9:35am I let out a few grunt calls and a deer I call the Kicker 8 stepped out a few minutes after.

Last edited by Patton; 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks Hunter. I don’t think the Blackbuck are quite as tough as a whitetail, thoughts? Got all caught up on your thread as well! Exciting stuff!

Those are 600 and 800lb feeders. Have 3 mega feeders coming in that will hold 2000lbs of timed protein and 1000lbs of corn mix to broadcast.

Went out to the ranch last Thursday through Sunday. Spent most of my time with the bow- starting at a feeder but quickly getting bored and stalking around. Couldn’t find anything mature enough. Ended up breaking out my .308 on Sunday morning because I had an itchy trigger finger. Maybe even a little blood lust? 9:35am I let out a few grunt calls and a deer I call the Kicker 8 stepped out a few minutes after.

Nope. Blackbuck are definitely “softer” then whitetail. You are having a heck of a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                              Nope. Blackbuck are definitely “softer” then whitetail. You are having a heck of a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              For sure! Congrats, Patton.

Comment

Sorry to hijack Patton but I need the attention of this audience.

Any of you guys in Real county seeing/hearing more coyotes than ever?
                                Anyone actually seeing fawns?
                                What percentage of your fawns survive if you were to guess?
                                How are y'alls deer populations doing in general? Growing or depleting?

If you have good or bad news please let me know. Post here or Pm me with details.

We are in Southern Real County about 6 miles west of Concan up 1051 on 830 acres low fence. Our deer numbers are a joke. Less than 15 different deer have been seen on camera since July. Zero fawns have survived the last 3 years. So far this season we've recorded 17 sits, 1 aoudad was seen, one coyote, one fox, 4 turkey. I've hunted here my whole life and over the last 5 years things just continue to get worse.

I know of roughly 38,000 acres of other land owners/lease members that can answer the above questions with answers you don't want to hear if you're a deer hunter.

Examples like: 4000 acres 7 deer taken a year if they're lucky; 6500 acres .65 deer seen per hunt 100 sits recorded 7 deer shot last year; 1600 acres 0 deer seen on camera since July 2 doe shot the only 2 deer they've seen; 1000 acres high fence had a healthy axis herd two years ago now has zero, one whitetail seen so far this season; 12,000 acres - ranch manger works 8,000 of it he just killed coyote number 48 for the year zero fawns have survived; 2100 acres 10 deer seen all season last year 2 deer killed.

I've spoken with a biologist and we have pieced together enough reports to confidently say there is a serious coyote problem depleting the deer population between Knippa to Vance and East of Concan to Barksdale.

I'm trying to round up everyone/anyone else that is experiencing similar conditions in this area so I/we can approach the state for assistance in predator control. The more the better so please speak up if you're seeing the same.

If you are hunting West and North of this area you might not be affected yet but know that this is spreading both North and West of the area I've outlined.

If you are a lease member/hunter in this area please try and be respectful of our natural resource and abstain from shooting a ton of doe. I understand you've paid a lot to hunt a piece of property and want to get your money's worth but try and only take what you truly need. This area is going to need a lot of help before it recovers.

Sorry to be a downer but I thought y'all should know.

Comment

Working...
                                X