No announcement yet.

G5 Montec, Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmIreiner, beautiful animals. Nice shots.

Comment

Love them

Comment

Originally posted by Nock This View Post
        Love them

Do you ever have to sharpen em out of the package? It was hit and miss for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've read a lot of people do sharpen them out of the package. That doesn't bother me, I like doing that kinda stuff. Plus it will be good practice for when I have to re-sharpen after using them.

I'm also aware of the fact that the edges are on a 60 degree angle, because of the design, so you won't get quite the extreme angle you get with a thinner, disposable blade. That is the reason I like them. Not the angle, but the thicker, tougher blade, and the fact that I can sharpen them on the fly if I need to. Not having to find someone who is open and sells replacement blades, on a Saturday evening an hour from the closest town.

Comment

I have used them since they came out and have no issues. the carbon steel ones are super easy to sharpen and it is a fact that they are not so sharp out of the box. Sharpening them is much quicker than changing blades

Comment

Never used them but have herd horror stories about them being dull.

I've been using ramcats for a few years but am trying slick tricks this year just to change things up a bit. They're stupid sharp out of the box.

I also like a larger cut then the montecs deliver, therefore I'm going with the 1.25 four blade in 125 grain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                Never used them but have herd horror stories about them being dull.

I've been using ramcats for a few years but am trying slick tricks this year just to change things up a bit. They're stupid sharp out of the box.

I also like a larger cut then the montecs deliver, therefore I'm going with the 1.25 four blade in 125 grain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Slick tricks are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
                  I've read a lot of people do sharpen them out of the package. That doesn't bother me, I like doing that kinda stuff. Plus it will be good practice for when I have to re-sharpen after using them.

I'm also aware of the fact that the edges are on a 60 degree angle, because of the design, so you won't get quite the extreme angle you get with a thinner, disposable blade. That is the reason I like them. Not the angle, but the thicker, tougher blade, and the fact that I can sharpen them on the fly if I need to. Not having to find someone who is open and sells replacement blades, on a Saturday evening an hour from the closest town.

True

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    Do you ever have to sharpen em out of the package? It was hit and miss for me.

No. only time I sharpen was after a kill. the stainless are harder to sharpen. I shoot the carbon steel ones now, easy to sharpen(IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Nock This View Post
                      No. only time I sharpen was after a kill. the stainless are harder to sharpen. I shoot the carbon steel ones now, easy to sharpen(IMO)
                      Do you have any problems with the carbons rusting in the off season when you're not hunting?

Comment

hate em.... never fly true to field points...or even close for that matter in several set ups. If I want fixed blades I'm sticking to slick tricks

Comment

mmIreiner, beautiful animals. Nice shots.

Thanks! Those were actually my very first animals ever taken with my bow. I was SUPER proud lol. The Montecs make a “zing” noise when flying but they’ve always been great for me. Been shooting the carbon steel 100gr for about 5-6 years. Never an issue with sharpness.

Comment

Do you have any problems with the carbons rusting in the off season when you're not hunting?
                            haven't noticed any rust

Comment

Only issue I had with mine was a high shoulder shot on a ram. It didn't completely pass thru and sounded like 2x4's smacking together when it hit his other shoulder to stop (about 5-6 inches of the arrow still sticking out). He was bleeding everywhere tho

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                Hate them. Not sharp, leave the crappiest blood trails.

Exactly how my experience was.

Comment

Working...
                                X