Any shadetree mechanics here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any shadetree mechanics here?

I’ve got a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. It has about 73k miles. Last night a relative was driving it home and noticed the RPMs would fluctuate 200-300 RPMs or so. These are the same symptoms I encountered earlier in the year.

Later on when driving down the highway around 55mph it revved up to 4,000+ RPMs. They pulled over and after restarting the truck it would not engage. You can shift it to drive or reverse but it wont move. I’m assuming its the P0740 torque converter clutch code as it came on with about 68k miles in May. The dealer told me they replaced the TCC and pump assembly at that time.

I’m hoping the dealer didn’t just put a band aid on it and now I’m going to be on the hook for some costly work. The dealer told me if it’s related to the same issue it will be covered but I also know how this dealership operates so I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to stick the repair bill with me.

Anyone ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluctuating rpms indicates torque converter coming unlocked. Maybe due to falling pressures.

Revving up and then not going into any gear sounds like transmission pump went out completely.

Sounds like your pump had issues and on its way out, then failed. May be new but sounds like that.

Comment

Theres a tranny in your future

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
        Fluctuating rpms indicates torque converter coming unlocked. Maybe due to falling pressures.

Revving up and then not going into any gear sounds like transmission pump went out completely.

Sounds like your pump had issues and on its way out, then failed. May be new but sounds like that.

Is there anything specific that might cause it to go out?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
          Theres a tranny in your future

Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post

🤣🤣🤣 best movie evar

Comment

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there anything specific that might cause it to go out?

The main cause of tranny failure is heat from being overworked, such as running them hard on the highway. Pulling a trailer in overdrive where the torque converter locks/unlocks the entire time, causing excessive heat to build up. But, sometimes they just fail. Could have developed a fast leak and is very low on fluid.

If you recently had a pump replaced, there shouldn't be anything you did that would cause it to quickly fail again. Many shops that rebuild them will just replace the known broken items and put it back together, somewhat taking the chance at the rest of the items, trying to save customer money.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                  The main cause of tranny failure is heat from being overworked, such as running them hard on the highway. Pulling a trailer in overdrive where the torque converter locks/unlocks the entire time, causing excessive heat to build up. But, sometimes they just fail. Could have developed a fast leak and is very low on fluid.

If you recently had a pump replaced, there shouldn't be anything you did that would cause it to quickly fail again. Many shops that rebuild them will just replace the known broken items and put it back together, somewhat taking the chance at the rest of the items, trying to save customer money.

I’m going to push for a complete rebuild or new transmission. This is 2 problems in 4,000 miles. They tried giving us the run around last time but finally replaced the TCC and pump assembly after trying to get me to pay for work unrelated to the tranny.

I was told they would look at it this morning and call me back with their diagnostic today.

Comment

If this is a Ram that might be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                      If this is a Ram that might be the problem.
                      This!

Comment

I love stealerships.

I talked to a lady at the service desk and was told that they will get it on the lift in the morning but have ran some codes. No surprise from this dealership. It’s always that they will get to it first thing in the morning.

She acted like it may be the transmission pump which is covered under warranty due to prior work. She did mention since it’s been replaced before there’s likely other issues which may be causing the pump to go out so if I need need a new transmission/rebuild it is not covered by them.

Sounds like it should all be covered under warranty. The way I’m taking it is they misdiagnosed this when it was still under warranty. They obviously haven’t fixed it and don’t want to get stuck with the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          This!

I’ve got a 2010 1500 with 203k miles. Not a single issue outside of normal wear and tear items.

Bought this and have nothing but problems.

Comment

Had an 07 1500 that did something similar. It was the shift solenoid pack. Turns out, it's a very known and common problem in Dodge trannys. Had to replace it twice in 150k miles. 74k on the nose each time. $400 part that only get from dealer. Got rid of that pos when the torque converter started slipping at 190k. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                              Had an 07 1500 that did something similar. It was the shift solenoid pack. Turns out, it's a very known and common problem in Dodge trannys. Had to replace it twice in 150k miles. 74k on the nose each time. $400 part that only get from dealer. Got rid of that pos when the torque converter started slipping at 190k. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought the newer transmissions were supposed to be better....

Haven’t decided if I want to keep it or trade it in. I guess it will depend on what the dealer tells me this time. It’s probably had issues for close to 30 days since buying in June though. Frustrating. But the truck market is just crazy right now. A year ago new trucks were listed at 5-7k cheaper than what they are now. Lightly Used trucks are just about as expensive as a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X