No announcement yet.

9mm questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carry a 38 spec snubby, 380ACP, or 9mm. All will work for self defense in most situations. Admit that the 380 ACP is light, but works well when you need really small.

For hogs? None of the above is a sure stopper. I've center punched hogs with 30-30 and 30-06 and still seen them run 100+ yards. A MAD AS HECK HOG is hard to stop. I won't carry a large handgun as I get tired of the weight. So I compromise and do carry the 9mm. Better than nothing.

Comment

I have several 9mm pistols that I carry on rotation. At the ranch, I’m carrying a Smith 686 .357 mag.

Comment

At lease I normally carry my 10mm with Underwood full power 200gr hard cast bullets. A few months ago I put a boar down at dusk with one shot at 25yds. Finished it in the head from 5yds and there wasn't no bounce off.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          [ATTACH]1046545[/ATTACH]
          Man I like that style of holster for bowhunting. What brand is it? Where did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
            Yes. Advances in Ammo make it a player. Many Peace Officers carry a 9MM. Including myself. You can get more rounds on target and faster.
            Pretty much this

As for defense rounds, Id stay away from anything with the pretty little rubber crap jammed off in the hollow point. I venture to say Ive prolly seen more shot people than 99.9% of this forum and that critical defense stuff sucks!! I dont care what its chambered in.

Ive stalked and shot into a sounder of pigs with a glock 19. I ran 6 or 7 rounds into a sow before she finally keeled over. Id do it again if thats all the gun I had but Im pretty good about carrying my shortly .223 now days

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
              Man I like that style of holster for bowhunting. What brand is it? Where did you get it?

Kenai chest holster made by Gunfighter Inc. it’s pricey but it’s the perfect bowhunting pistol holster for me. easy access to the gun that doesn’t get snagged on brush walking through tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Kenai chest holster made by Gunfighter Inc. it’s pricey but it’s the perfect bowhunting pistol holster for me. easy access to the gun that doesn’t get snagged on brush walking through tracking.
                Thanks. Looks like the ideal setup for me.

Comment

Is a 9mm viable? Most Law enforcement agencies carry a 9mm, along with most militaries in the free world. I’d say you’re good! Lol

Comment

I’ve finished a lot of hogs off with 9mm, and many of them up close and personal. I do a lot of night hunting with thermal, and when you’re shooting 20+ hogs every time you go out and many on the run it’s part of the game. That said I do it in open fields where it’s easier to get out of a hogs path. If I was in brush where side stepping isn’t as easy I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a 9. It’s not adequate in most instances, but it does the trick with 2-3 well placed shots. Earholes work the most reliably, but that’s hard to do on a charging hog. Not so much when they’re wounded and having trouble moving. FMJs suck more for earholes shots in my experience, but better for frontal skull shots. I usually just rock Critical Duty as it’s what’s in my carry pistol. Sometimes I remember to grab a couple mags of cheap FMJ before heading out.

Comment

Depends on ammo you use. 9mm FMJ is the ice pick of pistol ammo. Sure you can kill with an ice pick if you can stab it enough times. I walked up on a wounded sow and it took 7 rounds from the Lady Smith to finally put her down. Last round went behind the ear. The other 6 didn't penetrate more than 2" thru the top of her shoulders while she had my leg pinned between my truck door and running board. She was a biggun and highly pizzed off because I had already broke her back leg with double O buckshot. I left the drawers I was wearing under a flat rock somewhere in Hood County.

For self defense FMJ is better to penetrate multiple layers of heavy winter clothing. HP or flat nose is better in warm weather where clothing is thin. Either way the firepower and staying on target is the advantage of a nine as most hold a lot of rounds. I carry a Sig P320 M18 9mm. If it came in 45 cal and held 18 rounds I would have one in a heartbeat. Bigger is always better when it comes to bullets.

Comment

I've put 5 rounds of 44 mag into a pig before it stopped. Not sure any pistol is a mag hog pistol.

Comment

Yes it will. There has been extensive testing on modern 9mm ammunition that has been done by multiple agencies in the past decade that debunks most of the old rumors about 9mm. The FBI has their results published. If you can shoot a .40 or .45 good, you can shoot a 9mm a lot better. Round count and accuracy is key. Spend some time watching cop shootouts. They're all over the internet. Even with poorly placed shots, they're dropping suspects with Speer gold dot 124 +P's and Glock 17's. A lot of these shootouts these officers are doing magazine changes with 17-18 round magazines. More ammo, the better.

I've killed pigs with 9mm, but I usually prefer my Glock 20 10mm.
                          Last edited by Arrowthreat; 04-13-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

No. You will get killed in the streetz.

Comment

Any gun you carry on your person is going to be a compromise of either Comfort, capacity, or power. That being said, 9mm is plenty.

I think you’ll be fine.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz6ryVaaHUq

Comment

Id like to counter the FMJ for carry ammo. Dont do that. At all.

Unless you want to worry about zipping a round thru the bad guy and killing granny groceries down the streetz

Comment

Working...
                                X