No announcement yet.

Grapevine Lake draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady that issued my permit warned me if all in group don't fill out the report survey at end of season none will be eligible next year . New news to me

Comment

Need some clarification, what are they rules on Hunters Orange at Lake Grapevine? It says on their website you must wear at least 400 square inches but then it also has: Hunters exempt from this requirement are... persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog/waterfowl and migratory birds. So which is it? I see people out there with hunters orange and a handful without

Comment

When's open day at the Vine this year?

Comment

Originally posted by TrophyClubHntr View Post
          Need some clarification, what are they rules on Hunters Orange at Lake Grapevine? It says on their website you must wear at least 400 square inches but then it also has: Hunters exempt from this requirement are... persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog/waterfowl and migratory birds. So which is it? I see people out there with hunters orange and a handful without
          I read it to mean if you're bow hunting for deer/hogs or bird hunting, hunter orange isn't required but is recommended. If you're small game hunting (squirrel, rabbit, etc) with a shotgun (no larger than #2), hunter orange is required.

I would personally wear hunter orange to and from stand. Orange headwear might not be a bad idea even in stand. I've had squirrel hunters walk right under me several times. Lots of target shooters out there even though it's technically not allowed. I've had guys with center fire rifles walk by me, as well. Again...not legal. The locals have the run of the place in some areas. Horseback, atv, Ford Bronco, feeders and hand corn, permanent tree stands...the list goes on and on.

Deer season for those lucky enough to get drawn but can't check the regs is Oct 26.

Comment

Made the redraw [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]!

Comment

Thieves at Grapevine Lake US Army Corps Hunting Area

My 14 year old son and I set up a trail camera that he bought with his own money Feb 18, 2023 to see if hogs were coming by the area. We have general hunting permits to be on the property and we planned on showing up today Feb 19, 2023 around 10 am to grab the camera and try our luck with some hogs.

Unfortunately two men at 8:01am stole his trail camera. It was there less than 20 hours. My question to you is do I need to file a report with a Game Warden or do I just inform the police?

Comment

https://beardedarcher.com/grapevine-...s-has-thieves/

Comment

Posting on the newer thread for this year instead of the one from 2019 might be more fruitful, but unfortunately unless you have a GPS location on the camera I'd chalk this up as a loss.

Running game cameras on public land is usually a violation of the corp rules for leaving stuff out there. I leave absolutely NOTHING on public land that I'm not willing to lose.

That being said, if you wanna run cameras, there are a variety of things you can do to discourage thieves. Using a tree step to hang them is one, and locking them with either a python lock or steel cable with some figure 8 ferrule stops and a combination lock is another.

Public land and public bathrooms are why I have 0 faith in humanity.

Comment

^ What he said. Luckily for you those are some good quality pictures you have of the two supposed culprits, I would have led with the pics on here as opposed to your website (assuming the two men really are the ones who took it.) Unfortunately as far as public land goes, as they say you lie down with dogs and get up with fleas. Personally I wouldn't run a cell cam out there, and even my cheap cams not under 10 ft, and I still lost one last year. You need to think of hiding the cams from people more than animals.

Also like he said it's an annual thread, this one's a couple years old.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedArcher View Post
                      My 14 year old son and I set up a trail camera that he bought with his own money Feb 18, 2023 to see if hogs were coming by the area. We have general hunting permits to be on the property and we planned on showing up today Feb 19, 2023 around 10 am to grab the camera and try our luck with some hogs.

Unfortunately two men at 8:01am stole his trail camera. It was there less than 20 hours. My question to you is do I need to file a report with a Game Warden or do I just inform the police?
                      There's nothing more frustrating, especially since it wasn't even up there a whole day. Really makes you want to cross paths with them in the parking lot. Grapevine is bad for having cams swiped. Other hunters, random people and rangers will all take cameras there and it's worst than any other place I've hunted and I only hunt public. Kirby sited the options I would throw out as well: lock them, hide them well or don't put them out at all. It's unfortunate that we even have to worry about it but it's the sad truth.

Comment

What they all said. I take two steps and climb up about 12-15' and put up the camera. I have had one stolen, and I didn't like it. That being said. If I leave anything out on public. I make sure, that I am OK with losing it (to thieves, or rangers). If I am not, I pack it in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                          There's nothing more frustrating, especially since it wasn't even up there a whole day. Really makes you want to cross paths with them in the parking lot. Grapevine is bad for having cams swiped. Other hunters, random people and rangers will all take cameras there and it's worst than any other place I've hunted and I only hunt public. Kirby sited the options I would throw out as well: lock them, hide them well or don't put them out at all. It's unfortunate that we even have to worry about it but it's the sad truth.
                          Oh yeah that’s for sure. Glad to see your having some luck at Grapevine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. View Post
                            ^ What he said. Luckily for you those are some good quality pictures you have of the two supposed culprits, I would have led with the pics on here as opposed to your website (assuming the two men really are the ones who took it.) Unfortunately as far as public land goes, as they say you lie down with dogs and get up with fleas. Personally I wouldn't run a cell cam out there, and even my cheap cams not under 10 ft, and I still lost one last year. You need to think of hiding the cams from people more than animals.

Also like he said it's an annual thread, this one's a couple years old.
                            Probably two soy boys that don’t even hunt. Out there looking for veggies and saw it. If I’m out there and see anything out of place I don’t give any .. about upsetting someone join the list.

I’ve been seeing a few of the same vehicles at various spots and noting who is where and when.

Comment

Looks like the bearded one hasn't been signed in since his last post. Wish this thread could be locked, so it's not confused with other threads. Having it titled with the year/season woulda helped too.

Wonder if we can just let it sink?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                Looks like the bearded one hasn't been signed in since his last post. Wish this thread could be locked, so it's not confused with other threads. Having it titled with the year/season woulda helped too.

Wonder if we can just let it sink?

[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X