No announcement yet.

F150 tow capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I towed a 31 Cape Horn loaded with fuel with the ecoboost. It wasn’t my truck, but I wouldn’t have done that over any real distance. I towed it 20 or so miles and never broke 50mph. I am guessing it was 7,000lbs loaded and 36ft on the trailer. I launched the boat and pulled it out in 4x4 with no problems. It was just too long and heavy to consider any distance.
    I also towed a 26 Robalo with the same truck. That was probably 5,000lb loaded and probably 30ft on the trailer. I towed it 250 miles with no problem at all.
    I use the rule of halves. Half the max weight is the max and longer than 30ft is tough on a 1/2 ton.

Comment

yeah kind of what I figured
      There is a smaller 28' (33 total) that is 6500#
      its similar to what i have now but heavier

Comment

I wouldn’t advise it. Once you add water to the trailer, all your gear, in the trailer and in the truck, plus the weight of you and your passengers, you will be way over your max load capacity of your truck. Also, if you exceed your max load capacity for the truck and have an accident your insurance company can refuse to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
          yeah kind of what I figured
          There is a smaller 28' (33 total) that is 6500#
          its similar to what i have now but heavier

Despite what the sales people tell you weight is your friend with an RV. The biggest issue with towing bumper pull RV is they large and catch a lot of side wind/gusts and have little weight to resist it. This wind can be weather related or from passing trucks but either way your fighting sway.

Comment

Think! NO WAY.. You have advice from us all, and do not attempt to pull that large camper with a F-150.

Comment

I hauled a very similar rig with a 3/4 ton 2020 Duramax and it was fine, but not what I'd call enjoyable to pull. Long, heavy, and sagged a lot. Bought a 37' fifth wheel (10,200lbs dry) and it was night and day difference in ease of towing. If I was buying a bumper pull for an F150 (last I had was a 2019 3.5L Ecoboost which I was impressed with), I'd go quite a bit smaller. Good luck!

Comment

It's not really the weight, or the brakes it is the truck itself. They are not designed to handle the sway of the trailer. I drove a F150 with the 5.0 for seven years and pulled all kinds of loads, the platform is not designed to handle that kind of a load. In perfect circumstances on a 50 mile run it is fine, but if you have an emergency there will be problems. The body roll will get you every time, the weight of the trailer bouncing will pick your rear end off of the ground.

Comment

Way too much trailer for your 1/2 ton truck. The tongue/hitch weight alone will put you over GVWR with 4 people and a tank full of fuel. That length of trailer will put your half ton in a ditch with a good crosswind regardless off sway bars or trailer sway control.

Comment

I have a 32'camper and a Ram 1500. rated for max trailer of 10,900 lbs. it is a couple thousand lbs under truck rating. It is a lease camper. I pulled it to the lease (7 hour trip) after i bought it. It did OK, was fine for that trip, but i realized if i was pulling it on a regular basis, i would want more truck.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                      I'd buy a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.
                      Yup....or just be prepared to have a crappy day when you hook up the trailer every time.

Comment

No way. That kinda weight requires a 3/4 ton, and preferably diesel.

Comment

I got a 32' travel trailer for a hunting lease about 5 years ago and have pulled it a hand full of times with my 2016 F150 Eco Boost. Recently moved to a new lease just before the winter storm.

Even with the sway control/leveling hitch it is not a comfortable drive. And thats completely empty, I mean nothing inside. Cant imagine trying to load it up with supplies and driving it long distance.

Every time I move it I look into F250's to possibly buy. Then I soon realize my bank roll is not suitable for what the travel trailer vacation lifestyle requires.

J

Comment

Working...
                          X