School me on best trailer for my tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on best trailer for my tractor

I’ve got a 65HP John Deere 5065E tractor. I just bought a Ford F-250 Super Duty truck 4WD to have a way to trailer my tractor short distances (25 miles max). I am considering a gooseneck or bumper pull trailer but don’t know advantages / disadvantages of each and have no idea where to get a gooseneck hitch installed in my truck bed or even what to ask for. I originally had a 2WD Suburban and a 20’ bumper pull trailer with tandem 7K lb axles and electric brakes but it was a scary adventure to pull my tractor. I sold that trailer in frustration until I could upgrade to this truck- hence I’m considering the gooseneck. I’m hoping with the larger truck and more power to have a better experience. What do you guys with more experience on this recommend at this point?? Would a car hauler bumper pull work? Would a gooseneck trailer be a safer alternative? I would really like to be able to leave front end loader and bush hog implement on trailer (27’ total length unless bucket raised) when towing it.
    Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 05-04-2021, 02:18 PM.

I pull roughly the same size tractor around with the same size trailer you sold and a half ton truck. I have a gooseneck trailer and hitch in my Tundra, but rarely use it. The tractor probably weights 5-6k#s. I would think with the 250 and the 20’ you had would have been a much more enjoyable experience than pulling it with your Suburban. Trailers are priced super high and hard to find now too. I’ve been shopping for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
      I’ve got a 65HP John Deere 5065E tractor. I just bought a Ford F-250 Super Duty truck 4WD to have a way to trailer my tractor short distances (25 miles max). I am considering a gooseneck or bumper pull trailer but don’t know advantages / disadvantages of each and have no idea where to get a gooseneck hitch installed in my truck bed or even what to ask for. I originally had a 2WD Suburban and a 20’ bumper pull trailer with tandem 7K lb axles and electric brakes but it was a scary adventure to pull my tractor. I sold that trailer in frustration until I could upgrade to this truck- hence I’m considering the gooseneck. I’m hoping with the larger truck and more power to have a better experience. What do you guys with more experience on this recommend at this point?? Would a car hauler bumper pull work? Would a gooseneck trailer be a safer alternative? I would really like to be able to leave front end loader and bush hog implement on trailer (27’ length) when towing it.

I run a 75hp with a 15’ batwing
      Go gooseneck
      That’s 10-15,000lbs depending on exactly what you are running (cab or open station) and which batwing
      My combo is around 14,000lbs
      You have more than enough truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like to pull gooseneck trailers more than bumper pulls because I find them easier to maneuver. I have a 5085M that I pull occasionally with a bumper pull (18' ranch king) and it does fine although I do use a 1 ton truck to pull it. The issue I have with that trailer is it isn't long enough for the tractor with loader and an implement. I previously had a 22' gooseneck and that was nice because I would set the loader on top of the gooseneck portion for travel and had space to haul an implement attached to the tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          I pull roughly the same size tractor around with the same size trailer you sold and a half ton truck. I have a gooseneck trailer and hitch in my Tundra, but rarely use it. The tractor probably weights 5-6k#s. I would think with the 250 and the 20’ you had would have been a much more enjoyable experience than pulling it with your Suburban. Trailers are priced super high and hard to find now too. I’ve been shopping for a new one.
          Thanks! Are you using the Tundra with gooseneck to haul your tractor now? If so, who installed your gooseneck hitch and do you know the specs on it?

Comment

Spend the money on a gooseneck now is my opinion, they pull so much better and “When” you need the added room after you add a few attachments to the mix you can haul it all at once. Bumper pulls are fine but you limit yourself on what you can do with them later down the line. Leave yourself a little growing room and carrying capacity. You bought the big truck so why pull a wimpy trailer

Comment

Get a 24' goose neck !

Comment

Originally posted by lefty92 View Post
                I like to pull gooseneck trailers more than bumper pulls because I find them easier to maneuver. I have a 5085M that I pull occasionally with a bumper pull (18' ranch king) and it does fine although I do use a 1 ton truck to pull it. The issue I have with that trailer is it isn't long enough for the tractor with loader and an implement. I previously had a 22' gooseneck and that was nice because I would set the loader on top of the gooseneck portion for travel and had space to haul an implement attached to the tractor.
                This ^^^ and this:

Get a 24' goose neck !

Comment

I would get a 28' gooseneck triple axle lowboy with drive over finders.

Comment

Ok showing my ignorance but what are “drive over finders”? I’m guessing it’s to make hitch-up easier. Where do you buy gooseneck hitches and get them installed, including options like these?
                    Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24650173

Like this one

Comment

Or a low deck flat top gooseneck, but they are still pretty high if you aren't used to loading equipment on trailers.

Comment

Gooseneck hitches can be bought and installed at about any truck accessory place. I think the b&w turnover ball hitch is still about the best hitch to get. If you go to their website you should be able to find a list of dealers near you. I would also go gooseneck over bumper pull in your scenario but I prefer gooseneck trailers.

Comment

Gooseneck low boy would do you fine.

Comment

Thought of something else. Which trailer can depend on your wheel setup on your tractor. I have moved mine to the second widest stance, and mine might require a little wider trailer now. I also have a 65HP John Deere and much more stable with the wider stance...

Comment

Working...
                              X