Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding additional A/C to a travel trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding additional A/C to a travel trailer?

I have a travel trailer that stays at the deer lease year round but we haul it a few times a year to some campgrounds. Last summer (in august) we went to an RV park with zero trees and my AC couldn’t keep up. It was brutal. I have a Grey Wolf 29TE with 50amp service but only one AC unit.
    I’d like to add some support either through a second roof top unit, a portable AC, or a removable window unit. I need something because we’re going back again in August.
    Any RV veterans out there that can offer some insight? Much appreciated!

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
    I have a travel trailer that stays at the deer lease year round but we haul it a few times a year to some campgrounds. Last summer (in august) we went to an RV park with zero trees and my AC couldn’t keep up. It was brutal. I have a Grey Wolf 29TE with 50amp service but only one AC unit.

I’d like to add some support either through a second roof top unit, a portable AC, or a removable window unit. I need something because we’re going back again in August.

Any RV veterans out there that can offer some insight? Much appreciated!

Careybirdwell on here is your man. He just did this for my 5th wheel.

Finding the AC unit proved to be the biggest challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Two options...one wire it in to your 50amp, you should be able to power it. Or the other option, I seen a guy on YouTube add one to the front and simply ran a normal cord to the plug in alongside his camper cord.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_BlVOSQAZY&t=223s"]Installing a 2nd AC Unit in a Camper with a 30 Amp Service - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Do you have a ceiling vent or skylight in your bedroom? I would think with 50 amp service it is pre wired for the 2nd AC

Comment

If your unit is pre wired for the second ac, the hardest part is getting the ac on the roof. Installation is simple. I added a second one to mine. There are several videos on YouTube that you should watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We use the portable AC units for stuff like this. I cant remember the exact model but I think its 10-12,000BTU and it does not have the drip pan. It blows the condensation out the exhaust hose. i have been reading good reviews on this one. Its 115v and you have option of battery power too. https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2

Comment

I’ve read everything I can find on my model and I haven’t found anything about adding another unit. The main bedroom does not have a skylight and the only existing holes there are is a small square vent in the bathroom and a skylight in the kitchen area, which is rectangular.
              I’m a pretty handy guy but jacking with the roof of this RV is giving me concern.

And muddyz, I’ve watched that exact video a few times and wouldn’t think it would be an issue if I knew where I could install it.

Comment

Being a 50A trailer it’s probably already prewired for a second AC.

Comment

I’ll check it when I go back to the lease but there is not another hole in my roof that would fit the size of another AC. Everything I’ve seen looks like 28-29” squared. The skylight in the kitchen is rectangular in shape. It might be 28-29” long but maybe half that wide.

Comment

Seems odd to prewire for a second unit but not leave another hole to drop it in. Maybe I’m missing something.

Comment

Generally it will not be wired without being framed & braced. If you don't have a 14x14 crank up vent, then you have to cut hole in roof & ceiling, frame it up, run electric to it. It's not hard but just make sure you are where you need to be at before starting to cut.

Generally the bracing on the roof is on 16" center which will give you about 14.5" between, that is where the cut-out needs to be
                      Last edited by careybirdwell; 04-29-2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I think I'd go with a stand alone portable, it's just super easy plug in and go and you can locate it where it's needed most or use it at home or camping elsewhere. I think most of them come with exhaust hose with window brackets for easy exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Careybirdwell on here is your man. He just did this for my 5th wheel.

Finding the AC unit proved to be the biggest challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Thanks Mike

Comment

I had a 2nd unit added to a 30 amp trailer a few years ago. It just replaced one of the 14” crank up vents in the front bedroom.

Since my trailer was only 30 amps they ran the power wire down to the side of the trailer and added a recessed male plug with a cover. I just ran a heavy 110 cord and it ran perfect.

Totally solved the problem like you are having.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                              Generally it will not be wired without being framed & braced. If you don't have a 14x14 crank up vent, then you have to cut hole in roof & ceiling, frame it up, run electric to it. It's not hard but just make sure you are where you need to be at before starting to cut.

Generally the bracing on the roof is on 16" center which will give you about 14.5" between, that is where the cut-out needs to be
                              I do have one that size in the bathroom. That’s all the hole needs to be? The ones I’ve found online are 28-29” squared. PM inbound.

Comment

Working...
                              X