No announcement yet.

Metal detector hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really know anything about metal detectors, but I borrowed a friends' equipment one time to explore around an old school house foundation on our property. Something he had that was VERY helpful was a little hand-held device (about the size of a maglight) that you would use when you start digging after the big detector found something. That was very convenient since I'd be down on my hands and knees digging around.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
      I don't really know anything about metal detectors, but I borrowed a friends' equipment one time to explore around an old school house foundation on our property. Something he had that was VERY helpful was a little hand-held device (about the size of a maglight) that you would use when you start digging after the big detector found something. That was very convenient since I'd be down on my hands and knees digging around.
      Yes, a pointer works great. Garret makes a nice one. The Chinese knock off works pretty good and doesn’t break the bank for a beginner

Comment

I have a Whites and it works well. I have found some jewelry and coins with it.

Comment

A pin-pointer saves a lot of time digging and is a must if your serious about detecting. I even use mine to find lead fragments or shot in wild game meat...cheaper than a chipped tooth.

Metal Detecting Stuff in the Woodlands usually has used ones for sale if you want to save some money.

Looking for an adventure that's both fun and profitable? Look no further than Metal Detecting Stuff! Our online store offers a wide range of metal detectors, pinpointer, digging tools and more, all at affordable prices. With our high-quality equipment, you'll be able to uncover treasures that have been buried for years

Comment

The more you spend the deeper it goes is the basic rule. A $5000 detector in a gold rich area will pay for itself maybe in one day. A $500 detector may never pay for itself, but of course, it is about if you are just having fun or getting serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
              awesome info. Im going to do some club searching im my area. Im located in Willis.
              I have been eyeballing the Garrett brand , i just was not sure.

thanks again
              There is a club in Montgomery County and another in Tomball that I believe would be the closest to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
                When I started metal detecting I did so by jumping in head first with an expensive detector. That was after researching brands a long time. I donÂ’t regret spending the money. My next purchase will be a Minelab. Really was hoping to start searching new areas in a different state before spring. Avoiding venomous snakes is one reason but it’s also easier to dig when grass and weeds are dormant.
                I use a Minelab Vanquish 540 which has most of the same electronics as their more expensive Equinox series but no ground balance.

Comment

Wife and I started out with cheap Bounty Hunters and I did real well. My wife didn't take to detecting so much. The more I detected the better detector I bought. Besides the 2 Bounty Hunters which I gave to the grandkids to play with I have a Whites DFX and a AT Pro but my go to detector is my DEUS.

Also a pin pointer is a must.

Comment

I use a cheap academy detector and do pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                      I use a Minelab Vanquish 540 which has most of the same electronics as their more expensive Equinox series but no ground balance.
                      Very cool. One of my uncles helped locate and place some historical markers in the 1940’s and 1950’s in rural areas. If the meth heads haven’t stolen certain markers of interest, the plan is to gain permission to search a few areas. A wealthy guy was thought to have long ago buried silver coins in jars all around his house. The house and former owner are long gone but the foundation is still there. Hope I can get permission to search it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                        The more you spend the deeper it goes is the basic rule. A $5000 detector in a gold rich area will pay for itself maybe in one day. A $500 detector may never pay for itself, but of course, it is about if you are just having fun or getting serious.
                        This is the unfortunate truth. Another truth is you wouldn’t believe how deep some items are, or how shallow some items are.

Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post

What do you mean a gold rich area?

The north end of the 14 mile Alder Gulch (Montana) placer gold mining area is below us, the last tailings pile from the early 1900s dredge barges is behind the American flag on a ranch. View from our kitchen.

Would you scan those piles with a metal detector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            What do you mean a gold rich area?

The north end of the 14 mile Alder Gulch (Montana) placer gold mining area is below us, the last tailings pile from the early 1900s dredge barges is behind the American flag on a ranch. View from our kitchen.

Would you scan those piles with a metal detector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Me?
                            No I'd be way too busy admiring that view :-)

Comment

I have the bounty hunter from Academy. Does really well. I have never found anything of value in my 10 years now of detecting. I have however realized that there is trash everywhere. Even the most virgin lands I have done detecting on have trash.

Comment

If you want to find the gold rings and jewelry you have to dig some trash since they read the same as pulltabs.

One club I know has had their planted silver hunts at a local park for over 10 years, and had 2 hunts there every year in the same small area. Last year one guy stayed after the hunt and dug a 1907 $5 gold coin that had been passed over hundreds of times because everyone was only digging the silver.

Trash can mask the signal from better targets too, so if you know you are in a good spot dig it all.

Trash can also tell you a lot about who was once there and when. If it's old trash you know there is a better chance of a good find.

Comment

Working...
                                X