Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to bypass getting a sleep study to obtain a good CPAP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    If its just snoring you dont need a CPAP. Ask folks around you. They will tell you if you stop breathing for long periods of time and are crazy loud when you start breathing again.

Snore guard from a dentist may do the trick.

It’s also about how you feel. I’m very fit and exercise daily. I was always tired and my wife said I snored like a champ and would stop breathing. When I told my physician he looked at me like I was crazy but set me up with a sleep study. I can’t sleep without it and it’s night and day how I feel.

Comment

Suck it up and make time for a sleep study. Will save your life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out one of the online CPAP stores and they will assist you with getting a sleep study, usually a home sleep study.

Comment

Get the study done. My best friend from HS died from sleep apnea. They found him in the sleeper of his rig at a truck stop. He was 42yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            This is how my sleep study was done! Super easy, just put it on and go to sleep! Sleep apnea can cause heart disease so you may not want to chance that!

Personally, I wouldn’t want to use someone else’s machine unless it has been serviced by a medical supply store.
            Some used machines were used by smokers. Maybe your health insurance will cover the cost.

I would also get a backup unit, and a battery for power outages. I can't function without my CPAP. Sleep apnea gave me atrial fibulation (heart failure), which gave me a stroke, and required a twelve hour surgery to improve the electrical function of the heart. My sleep study was in a sleep lab which I hated. Without my machine, I go back into AFIB due to the stress of a not breathing.

Comment

Insphire

I think this how its spelt. You might take a look at this. No mask.

Comment

My doctor set me up to do an at-home sleep study. Wore a wi-fi wrist monitor connected to a finger cuff and monitor I stuck on my chest. Downloaded an app. The next morning the app uploaded my data to the company. Didnt have to spend the night in unfamiliar surroundings and only cost $250. Much cheaper than going to a sleep study center.

Comment

At home sleep study and an APAP is probably the quickest way.

Comment

I personally think the in home sleep studies are a waste of money. I have had 2 and all they tell me is you have sleep apnea and with insurance you can buy a CPAP machine for $800 or you can not use insurance and buy one off the internet for $500 to $600.
                    I bought my first one off of Craig’s List new from a lady for $150. Then did the sleep study and bought another one, I couldn’t tell a difference in the two.

It I do highly recommend using the CPAP it’s a game changer for sure.

Comment

If you want to save a bunch of $$$$ Just buy a good used one.. I bought used and it was new(never used)... Masks are easy to get. Set the pressure to what you like. It won't kill you to wear it either way. If you don't have sleep apnea you'll be fine and if you do it will help and you will be even better... It's just extra air/oxygen!!! Done it for years.. People make to big of a deal out of the sleep study...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        If you want to save a bunch of $$$$ Just buy a good used one.. I bought used and it was new(never used)... Masks are easy to get. Set the pressure to what you like. It won't kill you to wear it either way. If you don't have sleep apnea you'll be fine and if you do it will help and you will be even better... It's just extra air/oxygen!!! Done it for years.. People make to big of a deal out of the sleep study...

Wow..... so if he has apnea and he doesnt get enough air to fix it because it feels good to him and he dies, do you have malpractice insurance?[emoji2359]

It’s not just extra oxygen if you have apnea. The air pressure opens your airways so that you don’t have apnea episodes... it not just about more oxygen.
                        Last edited by Smart; 04-17-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Wow
                          What?? I guess you payed big $$$.. Lol..

Comment

What?? I guess you payed big $$$.. Lol..

My insurance paid for a sleep study and my units . I have bought a few backups out of pocket used but I let the doctors set my pressure because I like living.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              My insurance paid for a sleep study and my units. I have bought a few backups used but I let the doctors set my pressure because I like living.
                              If you don't have enough pressure you'll know it quick especially if you are wearing the full mask... No one has ever died from to much pressure but you will know that too..

Comment

If you don't have enough pressure you'll know it quick especially if you are wearing the full mask... No one has ever died from to much pressure but you will know that too..

Yeah if they have severe apnea you’ll know it’s too low if you get to wake up that day. If....

Too high pressure..? See below. I’ll take my chances with a doctor and monitoring the machine while they are awake and I’m asleep... me guessing errr monitoring myself while I’m asleep sounds like a recipe for disaster.

At least OP get the monitoring CPAP system from home

Last edited by Smart; 04-17-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X