Looking for advice - International enduro trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice - International enduro trip

I am looking to doing a trip with a group of riding buddies and looking for others who may have experience here. Right now I’m looking at doing one of the KTM sponsored rides in Mongolia or Iceland. Anyone on here ever done one of these or something similar? I know there are some in Costa Rica as well but I’m really looking to get a bit further away. My uncle, avid enduro and single track rider, has done several in Southeast Asia but I am concerned the bikes would be a bit small for me. I think the largest bike they could get in Cambodia was a 250.

Hell if I know, but post up about it if you do it.
    Sounds awesome!!
    How many miles we talking?

Comment

Sounds awesome. I have the same question too. How many miles?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Hell if I know, but post up about it if you do it.
        Sounds awesome!!
        How many miles we talking?
        The specific ride in Mongolia I am looking at is about 800 miles in 6 days of riding. You are there for 8 days but the first and last are not riding days. Once you are on the ride you stay in tents along the route with a chase vehicle that provides fuel, food, and other provisions like first aid (hope that isn't needed). This ride uses KTM 500 enduros (KTM 6 days edition). I don't really have any ambition to go to Africa for a hunt but this is sort of my version of that. Traveling the world and riding different places is a very unique way to experience other cultures and locations. It also happens to be a ton of fun and gives you a reason to try to stay in shape.

This specific ride is in the NE of Mongolia and takes you to the birth place of Genghis Khan

I will take a camera and GoPro with me to document the trip for sure!
        Last edited by Wall_Hanger; 04-07-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

What an awesome trip.

Whatever you end up getting to ride you better get one here to get some SERIOUS seat time on it. I am 6'3' and did a bunch of mods on my bikes to make them more comfortable. You might need the same mods for your trip.

Do you ride alot currently?

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
            What an awesome trip.

Whatever you end up getting to ride you better get one here to get some SERIOUS seat time on it. I am 6'3' and did a bunch of mods on my bikes to make them more comfortable. You might need the same mods for your trip.

Do you ride alot currently?
            Ha you aren't lying. I am 6'5" so I will be take a set of bar risers with me, wrenches to adjust the shocks, and whatever else I can think to help adjust the bike for me while I am there.

I am 33 and have ridden since I was about 4. Growing up I did MX and then switched to single track and scrambles once I got too big to be competitive on the track. My last enduro was a modified YZ426 but I haven't ridden dirt for a good while. I switched to street bikes in college and rode a Hayabusa for several years which was a blast and now have a Valkyrie that I borrow from my dad when I want to ride (he has two). I am going to buy a bike in the coming weeks and get back up to Sam Houston to get settled into it again. The trip wont be until fall of 2022 so I have time to get reacquainted with the dirt.

Comment

Video link to one of the ride options

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_tlLnQWEs&t=843s"]The Birth Place of Genghis Khan Off-Road Motorcycle Tour 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                Ha you aren't lying. I am 6'5" so I will be take a set of bar risers with me, wrenches to adjust the shocks, and whatever else I can think to help adjust the bike for me while I am there.

I am 33 and have ridden since I was about 4. Growing up I did MX and then switched to single track and scrambles once I got too big to be competitive on the track. My last enduro was a modified YZ426 but I haven't ridden dirt for a good while. I switched to street bikes in college and rode a Hayabusa for several years which was a blast and now have a Valkyrie that I borrow from my dad when I want to ride (he has two). I am going to buy a bike in the coming weeks and get back up to Sam Houston to get settled into it again. The trip wont be until fall of 2022 so I have time to get reacquainted with the dirt.
                Thats cool. You know what your in for as far the abuse headed your way.
                My guess is the KTM trip would be more hardcore from a riders perspective.
                I am guessing its pretty humid in Cambodia but jungle riding sounds awesome.

Some buds and I did the STORM hare scrambles for a few years with a couple of enduros when they came up. I miss those days.

The enduros really wore me out physically. No matter how much gym/seat time I was able to put in didn't seem to matter on the last 20 or so miles. After 120 miles in the Sam Houston enduro I was just ****** off. Charlie was one of the guys who rode with us. 70 years old and was FAST. He gave me the best advice:

"John, stay outta the gym. Its not doing you any good. Instead of going to the gym, put on all of your gear, helmet & boots gloves. Walk your bike to the street. Put it in first gear and push/walk the bike as far as you can go. When you can't go any further put it in neutral and keep walking. Catch your breath and repeat.

I live in a subdivision, looked like a fool in front of my neighbors & ex but I stayed with it. Nicknamed Danielson for years.

About a month into it we got together for a ride. It was my first ride since the new training mission. I rode a CRF 450r. Heavy pig.

We take off and immediately I felt like I was riding a 125 weight wise. My friends were convinced I was on roids or coke.

Keep this in mind as your trip approaches if seat time is hard to come by.

Comment

Thats cool. You know what your in for as far the abuse headed your way.
                  My guess is the KTM trip would be more hardcore from a riders perspective.
                  I am guessing its pretty humid in Cambodia but jungle riding sounds awesome.

Some buds and I did the STORM hare scrambles for a few years with a couple of enduros when they came up. I miss those days.

The enduros really wore me out physically. No matter how much gym/seat time I was able to put in didn't seem to matter on the last 20 or so miles. After 120 miles in the Sam Houston enduro I was just ****** off. Charlie was one of the guys who rode with us. 70 years old and was FAST. He gave me the best advice:

"John, stay outta the gym. Its not doing you any good. Instead of going to the gym, put on all of your gear, helmet & boots gloves. Walk your bike to the street. Put it in first gear and push/walk the bike as far as you can go. When you can't go any further put it in neutral and keep walking. Catch your breath and repeat.

I live in a subdivision, looked like a fool in front of my neighbors & ex but I stayed with it. Nicknamed Danielson for years.

About a month into it we got together for a ride. It was my first ride since the new training mission. I rode a CRF 450r. Heavy pig.

We take off and immediately I felt like I was riding a 125 weight wise. My friends were convinced I was on roids or coke.

Keep this in mind as your trip approaches if seat time is hard to come by.

That training sounds like it was heck on your rear tire! haha. Yes I know sort of what we are in for, but its going to be fun and hard at the same time. I road a KLR 650 for years and that sucker was a PIG! Do you still ride Sam Houston? I would love to get together for some riding once I get a new enduro

Cambodia was very muddy and riding on a lot of rice paddy dams which are pretty narrow. It sounded like they had fun but the small bikes made for a difficult time in the mud and river crossings.
                  Last edited by Wall_Hanger; 04-07-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                    That training sounds like it was heck on your rear tire! haha. Yes I know sort of what we are in for, but its going to be fun and hard at the same time. I road a KLR 650 for years and that sucker was a PIG! Do you still ride Sam Houston? I would love to get together for some riding once I get a new enduro
                    I used to be a member at Outlaw Trax (private off road place) but it appears to be closed now. I have no idea of the status of the trails at the SHNF.

Nat Forest gets boring pretty quick. There is no single track trails (4 wheelers) and all of the trails avoid any good elevation changes (erosion maint) so its just a ride of how far do you want to go. As far as I know today its the only place around here to ride.

I sold all my moto stuff after not being able to get one of my daughters to try to learn how to ride one.

I sent an email to an old bud who has taken a few of these type trips for some advice for ya.

Comment

I used to be a member at Outlaw Trax (private off road place) but it appears to be closed now. I have no idea of the status of the trails at the SHNF.

Nat Forest gets boring pretty quick. There is no single track trails (4 wheelers) and all of the trails avoid any good elevation changes (erosion maint) so its just a ride of how far do you want to go. As far as I know today its the only place around here to ride.

I sold all my moto stuff after not being able to get one of my daughters to try to learn how to ride one.

I sent an email to an old bud who has taken a few of these type trips for some advice for ya.

Awesome I appreciate that.

FYI the west side of the forest has unrestricted trails that are very difficult/technical. No bridges and no trail maintenance. From what I remember the ohv trails on the west side are restricted to 48” wheelbase so while not super tight they aren’t the 6’ wide “fire roads” that a lot of forest offer. The east side where the boy scouts are is much more manicured.

Comment

Up for the evening crowd

Comment

I will comment tomorrow. Raced in 2 states...................

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                            I will comment tomorrow. Raced in 2 states...................

You ever ride Terlingua back when AMA was doing the big rides out there?

Comment

Im not sure what your riding ability is or if youre wanting to stick to dirt roads or technical single track but I would check out gnarly routes. The guides are pro riders and stand up guys. https://www.gnarlyroutes.com/

Right now I think most of their stuff is in the US but if they don’t offer what you’re looking for I’m sure they can point you in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X