Feeder pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder pens

Talk to me about your feeder pens. Mine is 8 hog panels round and doesn’t seem to be cramped. But only have a few jumping in and most are just walking around it. Should I cut the top rung off? Maybe make it bigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you should do, but bigger is better. I like 60’ diameter or more if I can get it.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Not sure what you should do, but bigger is better. I like 60’ diameter or more if I can get it.

Bisch

Yes sir I may attempt to cut the top rung and if nothing changes may try to go larger. We all figured 8 panels was more than enough

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxTracking View Post
        Yes sir I may attempt to cut the top rung and if nothing changes may try to go larger. We all figured 8 panels was more than enough

It just takes time for deer to get used to them regardless of size. Move corn feeder closer to fence if you feel the need to help lure more deer faster. Dont cut it

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
          It just takes time for deer to get used to them regardless of size. Move corn feeder closer to fence if you feel the need to help lure more deer faster. Dont cut it

Yea I’ve been hesitant to cut it, because I dang sure don’t want to have to buy 24 panels again to replace them if hogs start getting in.

Comment

Our pens are 20 panels each. Makes a 100’ diameter pen.

My Lamco low and throw feeder throws corn up to the edge just inside the pen.

They work great for us.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
              Our pens are 20 panels each. Makes a 100’ diameter pen.

My Lamco low and throw feeder throws corn up to the edge just inside the pen.

They work great for us.

Lord. Not sure in East Texas I could do 20 each. I can go a few panels bigger in 2 of my spots, the other I’m about maxed out. My ez feeders on low throw right up to the edges now of what I have

Comment

Lord. Not sure in East Texas I could do 20 each. I can go a few panels bigger in 2 of my spots, the other I’m about maxed out. My ez feeders on low throw right up to the edges now of what I have

It will take time for them to get used to them, but they will start going in. Lots of green stuff for them to eat right now as well. Give me it time. But, as others have said, if you can afford more panels, go bigger. When we hunted around Marquez the deer never really came to corn, we stopped using it. They just had too much natural browse they preferred.

Comment

Go bigger. I like 12-14 panels. But don’t cut anything.

Comment

I know some guys have only cut the top on one or two sections. That has worked for them. The deer jump in where the cut outs are.

Comment

We have several 8-panel pens and they are fine, they have always done the job for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

You would need 12 panels to get a 60’ diameter (60 X 3.14 / 16).

Comment

Fist off, do you have qty 7 16’ sections in that picture (what it looks like)? I have 6 16’ panels on my smaller one and mine work, but I don't have a tough feeder in mine. If I did, I would make it much larger. It tends to get tight in mine when 2-3 deer jump in at once and they don't have to contend with a trough feeder in mine.

Also, mine are only 25” tall and I have had very little trouble with hogs at that height. Every once in a while I will get a jumper, but based on the number that stay out (like 1 hog every blue moon vs. 40-50 that don’t) I am ok with it. I found that the deer didn't like jumping in 34” height, but did not mind the 25” height. You can also do as mentioned (and I have one one setup) and cut large sections down, but not the whole setup. I did this in trying to force them to enter the pens in certain areas only. It worked.

This is for wary E Texas deer like what you are dealing with. Not starving deer in the Hill Country.
                          Last edited by Greenheadless; 03-27-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                            Fist off, do you have qty 8 8’ sections, not 16 correct (what it looks like)? This is what I have on my smaller one and mine work, but I don't have a tough feeder in mine. If I did, I would make it much larger. It tends to get tight in mine when 2-3 deer jump in at once and they don't have to contend with a trough feeder in mine.

Also, mine are only 25” tall and I have had very little trouble with hogs at that height. Every once in a while I will get a jumper, but based on the number that stay out (like 1 hog every blue moon vs. 40-50 that don’t) I am ok with it. I found that the deer didn't like jumping in 34” height, but did not mind the 25” height. You can also do as mentioned (and I have one one setup) and cut large sections down, but not the whole setup. I did this in trying to force them to enter the pens in certain areas only. It worked.

This is for wary E Texas deer like what you are dealing with. Not starving deer in the Hill Country.

No sir they are 16’ each. We have one guy that has 25” panels around his and he doesn’t have an issue either. Well he didn’t last year since he was the only one who had panels up. Now that every feeder has pens, I’m curious if he will have more trying to get in

Comment

No sir they are 16’ each. We have one guy that has 25” panels around his and he doesn’t have an issue either. Well he didn’t last year since he was the only one who had panels up. Now that every feeder has pens, I’m curious if he will have more trying to get in

Yeah, I edited my comment on the number of the panels after I looked at the picture again.

I do have issues where the hogs try to push their way in all the time, so make sure you have the fence secured well. I also cut my t-posts over over drove them to be level with the 25” top of the panels as well.

I am hearing more and more places requiring them to help combat the hog issue. Honestly, I like the idea.
                              Last edited by Greenheadless; 03-27-2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X