Lets talk videoing deer or pigs through a specific hole cut in your blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a unique situation in my lone pig box blind where I have to keep the windows closed until they get upwind of me at the feeder and then open it so I don't get busted. I tried filming through my side viewing windows during the day and it works but as seen in my pig video the other day it fogs when its cold outside and I have to keep up with it. Once you get a bow in your hand, it can fog up while you try to shoot so it's iffy. The other problem is I also hunt it at night and it will not focus through the side window on a single red light in the dark. The window glass, dark night and red light doesn't vibe. Also...I tried moving my camera to its position after opening the shooting window in the dark but I can't see the feeder or aiming target until I turn a red light on. With it too dark on the screen to know where you are aiming and jacking with it in the same dark, it is a PITA requiring too much guesswork and movement. I really need the camera set and aimed before it gets dark so all I have to do is push record. If the pigs don't come in until 30 minutes after dark, I can't do that until I open the window in the same dark.. So I got to thinking back in the day, TBHers used to cut a small hole in their blind sides under the windows and would make various boxes or mounts for them to sit in to just as I described for deer or day time pigs. I was thinking I could do the same with a little wooden 4-5" door to open and and press record once the pigs got upwind. Plus if it was off to the side, I could keep the screen glare off my glasses. Do any TBHers still do this? successfully? If you do I was wondering if you have any pics of your setups or any designs/tips to make it problem free before I jump off in building one. I have a mounted box design in my head for the camera to sit in, I remember being popular here back in the day but was hoping some folks had modernized it. Can't seem to find any pics via search. Thanks fellas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	92A9D354-E95E-45A6-818C-401CF00BA866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	24640611

I gotta read your story again.

Comment

What red light are you using ?

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
        [ATTACH]1035666[/ATTACH]

I gotta read your story again.

My box blind is plywood sides with glass deerview windows. Side windows are glass and fog easily when its cold out. I'm looking to cut a hole in my blind. Yes its very easy to do that. This was more about folks looking for ideas other than my own on securing their cameras in said hole. Tripod sits too far back. Several TBHers used to build mount boxes for it.

I use a SniperHogLight 38LRX bow light. Also you can see my box for the north wind hunts I'm talking about in the background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000Traverse 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	24640613

Comment

I also use a clamp for holding my camera. Very versatile. I’ll text you more pics tomorrow

Comment

Camera arm mounted to blind that swivels into position?

Can you move the blind?

Ozonics?

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
              Camera arm mounted to blind that swivels into position?

Can you move the blind?

Ozonics?

They basically can circle and do circle on occassion, the whole area Bruce. I could move it anywhere around the feeder and they are going to get behind it. They do it on all three feeders occasionally. Enough for me to start hunting with the windows closed or pray they slip up when I am in a quadpod.

I bought an Ozonics for my deer and didn't have very much luck with it. Have had several folks including the Sniper Hog Light guys say an Ozonics wont help on a pigs' nose so I haven't used one for fear of spooking them.

Last edited by Smart; 01-09-2021, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                They basically can circle and do circle on occassion, the whole area Bruce. I could move it anywhere around the feeder and they are going to get behind it. They do it on all three feeders occasionally. Enough for me to start hunting with the windows closed or pray they slip up when I am in a quadpod.

I bought an Ozonics for my deer and didn't have very much luck with it. Have had several folks including the Sniper Hog Light guys say an Ozonics wont help on a pigs' nose so I haven't used one for fear of spooking them.

Sounds like you have ‘Smart’ hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                  Sounds like you have ‘Smart’ hogs.

And a lot of big long noses...

Comment

Got it..swivel arm should do the trick then.

Comment

Sounds like you need a para-scope cam. Cut a hole in the roof and up cam ......

I do have an IR system on my older mini DVD for filming at night. Bought is specifically for filming pig shots at night. Works very well with red lights or extended IR, such as the Sniper Hog Lite system. Or even the IR from a night vision monocular. It even has a remote for turning on/off/video/pics/ect, so I don't have to be near it to run it. Problem with that is hoping the target is in the field of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                        Got it..swivel arm should do the trick then.

A swivel arm makes the most sense here. I agree. Easy and pre made. but man they just don’t always stay in place all the time especially when reaching for buttons in the dark. They roll up or roll down occasionally and if I do that I have no way to reset it with a dark screen before I turn the red light on. I’m thinking I’d like to build a box shelf mounted to the wall I can set it on and it covers the whole feeder area like I used to see on tbh all the time. I think Trailboss built a few and used them a lot. .

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Sounds like you need a para-scope cam. Cut a hole in the roof and up cam ......

I do have an IR system on my older mini DVD for filming at night. Bought is specifically for filming pig shots at night. Works very well with red lights or extended IR, such as the Sniper Hog Lite system. Or even the IR from a night vision monocular. It even has a remote for turning on/off/video/pics/ect, so I don't have to be near it to run it. Problem with that is hoping the target is in the field of view.

Yup.. I had an old canon mini DV back in the day that sounds similar.

This HCV-770 camera takes good night video. I just have to make sure I get it set in the dark now so my targets are in the view after I open the window. It does not do this well through a glass window at night.

Last edited by Smart; 01-09-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I laugh and joke about it but I’ve considering breaking out some vanilly.[emoji51][emoji41]. I’d never hear the end of it if it worked. [emoji23][emoji23]

Pig can probably pick out a human under any kind of cover scent though.

Comment

We called this the glory hole setup.

If its plywood, just screw a 2x4 to the wall and support it, then clamp this on it.

I would mount a 3-way head to it and it will lock down tight.

Comment

Working...
                              X