Linear actuator help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
    Not sure if a regular feeder timer would work? Your probably gonna need some kind of programmable controller. A actuator that’s rated for enough push and pull force for a feeder travels very slow. Might want to run it through a DPDT relay that’s rated for the actuator motor amperage.
    After rethinking this I think a regular timer would work. Find the actuator you want to use ( force and stroke) and time how long it takes to limit out. Set the feeder timer for that amount of seconds to open and close the actuator. You will still need a DPDT relay because the actuator has to be powdered to open then reversed to power close.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
      After rethinking this I think a regular timer would work. Find the actuator you want to use ( force and stroke) and time how long it takes to limit out. Set the feeder timer for that amount of seconds to open and close the actuator. You will still need a DPDT relay because the actuator has to be powdered to open then reversed to power close.

The Hammer Feeder Timer will fix that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        The reverse polarity to close is the tricky part. Good luck.
        Yeah, the only way I could figure that one is to use limit switches for each end along with a relay to reverse teh polarity, but it starts getting a little too clumsy for use out there at that point in my opinion.
        That's why I was thinking spring retract would be the simplest way to pull it off. Would even be easier with a damper actuator since it's all self contained, but then you have to be able to find one cheap.

Comment

Could you just not spring load the door plate so it slides back in place?

Comment

Something like this should work. Used this on a chicken coop. If you're close enough to wifi, they make one thats controlled by the app.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a hammer feeder set up and call it done. They work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by txhellraiser View Post
                Something like this should work. Used this on a chicken coop. If you're close enough to wifi, they make one thats controlled by the app.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

This. One timer controls a +12V relay. The other controls -12V.

Comment

Would a simple auto door lock actuator work for the mechanism?

Comment

Short answer... limit switches

Comment

I looked into all of this years ago. Bought components, spent too much time and money messing with it. Cheaper in the long run to simply buy a Hammer Feeder Mechanism.

Comment

Don't re-invent the wheel. This does exactly what you are wanting it to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                          Don't re-invent the wheel. This does exactly what you are wanting it to do.

https://krivomanoutdoors.com/product...-unit-protein/

Not exactly, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                            Not exactly, thanks!

THis has a linear actuator in it that can open or close whenever you want it to open or close. Did I miss read what you are looking for, if so then my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                              THis has a linear actuator in it that can open or close whenever you want it to open or close. Did I miss read what you are looking for, if so then my bad.

It does, yes. I’m not wanting to regulate protein feed. Your appears to be a welded unit (at least from what I could see). I’m wanting to build my own “quiet” deer feeder that I can winch up into a tree to simulate “hand” corning.

Comment

I bought some dump feeders a number of years ago. They had a container that filled with corn and dumped from a timer. They dump maybe two cups of corn at each dump. If you want to feed more you could set up for multiple dumps around the same time. I always wanted to set one up over a hog trap to get hogs attracted then arm the trap. This might meet your needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X