Plumbing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing question

Have a sink not draining or really slow to drain. I think problem could be the vent “valve” or whatever these new under the sink air vents are called.

Question is if I pull that valve off shouldn’t the water then drain with nothing on the end of that vent pipe? I have rain a snake all the way down and shot air through the line with no blockage and it still won’t drain. Water keeps coming back up the vent line when run water in the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take all components apart from under the sink, should be about 3 or 4 different pieces. Inspect for blockage. My sink did this on one side and I took it all apart and had a hairy, greasy, scaly mess that had blocked about 75% of the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigDarder View Post
      Take all components apart from under the sink, should be about 3 or 4 different pieces. Inspect for blockage. My sink did this on one side and I took it all apart and had a hairy, greasy, scaly mess that had blocked about 75% of the pipe.

I have done that part. Everything is clear. The water is backing up into the vent pipe as well which is past all these parts.

Comment

On one of my older houses I had to rent a big snake from Home Depot and run it thru the vent pipes coming out the roof. If yuo got a steep roof that can be tricky

Comment

Originally posted by CraigDarder View Post
          On one of my older houses I had to rent a big snake from Home Depot and run it thru the vent pipes coming out the roof. If yuo got a steep roof that can be tricky

When I had all the plumbing redone on this house they eliminated the standing vent pipes and went to that valve or float style under the sink.

Comment

You can take the vent off, the only issue is it’s down stream of your P trap, so if you leave it off you will experience sewer gasses in the house.

Take it off and try it. If it fixes the problem, a new one is $25 at Home depot

Comment

It's not the vent. It's downstream of the vent.
              All that vent is for is to let air in so it doesn't siphon off the p-trap.
              If you pull the valve off the water is going to drain into the cabinet where the vent is. Those things don't stop up pipes-- they aren't even in the flow path unless your plumber was a doof.

Comment

I had a bathroom sink draining slow. Bought a small snake and cleaned some nasty crap out of line, no telling what i broke loose that washed downstream. Works like a champ now. It's not the vent, something is seriously restricting flow below that.

Comment

Maybe I need a longer snake. Ran one 20’ and didn’t hit anything.
                  Thanks for the reply’s.

Comment

Run your snake down the cleanout.

Comment

Working...
                    X