No announcement yet.

50" cattle panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to save a !little money, you can use concrete wire mesh instead of cattle panels. These come 8x20' so if you cut them in half longways you get 48" x 20'. They are not galvanized (just bare iron) but when I bought some last year they were $36 each so in effect you get a panel for less than $20.

Tim

Comment

Run t posts outside your pen and run a solar electric fence panel couple 15 yards outside around. Deer will hop it and keep cattle out. Pigs will stop at cattle panel. Cheap and effective. Keep it higher than waist level for cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
        Run t posts outside your pen and run a solar electric fence panel couple 15 yards outside around. Deer will hop it and keep cattle out. Pigs will stop at cattle panel. Cheap and effective. Keep it higher than waist level for cattle.
        Hot wire was tried cows act like its not even there

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
          If you want to save a !little money, you can use concrete wire mesh instead of cattle panels. These come 8x20' so if you cut them in half longways you get 48" x 20'. They are not galvanized (just bare iron) but when I bought some last year they were $36 each so in effect you get a panel for less than $20.

Tim
          Yes I have used sidewalk wire in the past. Works great.

Comment

Buy the guilty cattle from the rancher and turn them into hamburger. I had this problem in Jacksboro for awhile. Basically had to build a fortress around the feeders to keep them safe. Sounds like that's your plan. Good luck. A fence jumping bovine is a menace. The bastages learn to get their heads on top of a fence then lean on it to bring it down. Once they get it low enough they just hop over it like a low hurdler. Maddening.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
              The bastages learn to get their heads on top of a fence then lean on it to bring it down. Once they get it low enough they just hop over it like a low hurdler. Maddening.
              That is exactly right. My plan is to make it to where they wont be able to do this.
              I hate these MFer's with a passion. I swear sometimes I wish I could just ball bat them to death. LOL.

Comment

Panels that we use.

We used the Goat panels 13ea that latch together and it made a great size pen. We have Whitetails and Axis jump in with no pigs or cows. We paid 1100.00 for 26 panels best investment ever. Here is a picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                  This is what I am hoping works. In a couple weeks I am going to get down there and build it. I will report back on what happens after its built.

What is crazy is these two problem pens have been in place for 10 years. Never a cow problem until 2020 season. All it took was one cow to jump in the pen. She educated the rest of them and now its a dang free for all.

I am also in McMullen county and had no problems with hog panels until the season before last. I changed that pen to 52” cattle panels with a few jumps. I hadn’t had any issue since November 2019 until last month.

We can only go once a month in the off-season so I am very curious what my pen will look like next week. I know they are getting in from cell cameras. Pigs are getting in also so it must be bad. I will likely bring some electric fence material next week.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
                    I am also in McMullen county and had no problems with hog panels until the season before last. I changed that pen to 52” cattle panels with a few jumps. I hadn’t had any issue since November 2019 until last month.

We can only go once a month in the off-season so I am very curious what my pen will look like next week. I know they are getting in from cell cameras. Pigs are getting in also so it must be bad. I will likely bring some electric fence material next week.
                    Well I finished mine up on Friday. So far only deer jumping in the pen. Hope this works.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      Just add a strand of barbed wire on top on the panels
                      I do this successfully
                      With round pens it’s a pain, but works for me.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        I do this successfully
                        With round pens it’s a pain, but works for me.

BP
                        I tried that. First with one wire, then with two wires. Cows acted like it wasn't even there.

Comment

Hate seeing others fighting the same fight I am fighting. For years I had a corn slinger only with a hog panel fence. Once I added a protein feeder, the war began. A couple different trips straightening fence and standing a feeder back up forced me to buy the taller panels. I installed them over the hog panels and cut out 3 narrow sections to make life easier on the deer. The <insert expletive> cows found the opening and smashed them down again. I went back and had to run barbed wire in the openings to close em off. I haven't been back to check if the barbed wire solved my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                            Hate seeing others fighting the same fight I am fighting. For years I had a corn slinger only with a hog panel fence. Once I added a protein feeder, the war began. A couple different trips straightening fence and standing a feeder back up forced me to buy the taller panels. I installed them over the hog panels and cut out 3 narrow sections to make life easier on the deer. The <insert expletive> cows found the opening and smashed them down again. I went back and had to run barbed wire in the openings to close em off. I haven't been back to check if the barbed wire solved my problem.
                            Good luck keep us posted.

Comment

Just finished a 3 strand barb wire fence to keep the cows at bay. So dry down south and the are tearing up everyone’s feed pens to get to CS. Had to fence them out of my feed pen. Hopefully it works.

Comment

50&amp;quot; cattle panels

I repaired my pen this weekend. I had this idea to build a “jump area” with spots for the deer to crawl under the cattle panel. I am curious how this will work - the cattle panels were keeping does and fawns out.

Comment

Working...
                                X