50" cattle panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" cattle panels

I am at my wits end with these cows. Going to pull up the pens made of hog panels and rebuild with cattle panels. My concern is being too high and deter deer from jumping in the pen. The pen will be 75' diameter. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use to raise the hog panels 12-14" off the ground.... more deer will go under than you would think.... They can still jump over if they want. Of course if your trying to keep hogs out that won't help you any.
    Good luck.....

Comment

Originally posted by J.Shoot View Post
      We use to raise the hog panels 12-14" off the ground.... more deer will go under than you would think.... They can still jump over if they want. Of course if your trying to keep hogs out that won't help you any.
      Good luck.....
      Yeah I gotta keep the dad gum pigs out too.

Comment

Im having the same issue. Im gunna run electric wire around the top.

Comment

i cut 2 panels on opposite sides 2 squares short. i've had some jumpy cows in the past and they never got in, but jumpy cows get sent to auction at my place.

Comment

On our place we have cattle and generally do not have issues with them trying to get in our pens. I see in you pic that you have cottonseed setups in you pen. The ONLY times we have had issues with cows jumping in or tearing up feedpens is to get to cottonseed cages or protein feeders that were set up closer to the edges of the feedpen. Feedpens that have the protein feeder and cottonseed feeders near the middle of the feedpens have not had problems with cows. Most of our feedpens are 45'-50' in diameter and we use panels that are 3' high and 20' long. Just something you may look at or take into consideration. Because it doesn't matter how high panels are, because if cows are hungry and they can smell and see cottonseed feeders or protein feeders because it is close to the edge of the feedpen they will bust into the feedpens to get to it.

Comment

Instead of pulling up the hog panels
              Just add the cattle panels to them. Not height wise but on the ground. This will reinforce the bottom third of it and save you some work

Comment

Just add a strand of barbed wire on top on the panels

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                  This.

Comment

Made 2 pens out of the cattle panels last spring. Like said above, i cut the top 2 squares off a few of the panels on different sides of pen. Used 10-12 panels. The trick is making it big enough that the deer feel comfortable being in there with a quick exit. Judging by TC, the deer predominantly use the cut panels. Took the deer about a month to catch on in new location. After that they would empty 1800 lb every 5-6 weeks. Zero pics of cows or hogs

Comment

Albeit rare, you will have deer get their legs tangled going over and die by this method.

Comment

So that was my first move. I drilled and set 3 timbers in each corner of the pen and made deadmen then drilled and set timbers at 10' increments. Got the nastiest barbwire I could bvuy from MG Building materials. Strung first strand at 6" above hog panel and second strand 12" above hog panel. Stretched it all tight and secured to timbers and T post. That lasted two days. Cows blow right through it. Ended up repairing replacing barb wire 6 times over two months. It does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortybang View Post
                          Because it doesn't matter how high panels are, because if cows are hungry and they can smell and see cottonseed feeders or protein feeders because it is close to the edge of the feedpen they will bust into the feedpens to get to it.
                          My pens are 75' x 75' and cotton is nowhere near the edge of the pens.

Comment

Originally posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
                            Made 2 pens out of the cattle panels last spring. Like said above, i cut the top 2 squares off a few of the panels on different sides of pen. Used 10-12 panels. The trick is making it big enough that the deer feel comfortable being in there with a quick exit. Judging by TC, the deer predominantly use the cut panels. Took the deer about a month to catch on in new location. After that they would empty 1800 lb every 5-6 weeks. Zero pics of cows or hogs
                            I think this is what I am going to try next.

Comment

This. It does happen and have had to take the lopping shears to a few legs.

I’m referring to Buck Wilds post. I meant to quote

Comment

Working...
                              X