No announcement yet.

Going to try a different plan for my food plot this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a great plan! Please keep us posted on the results.

Comment

... army worms are out in East Texas as of last week

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        ... army worms are out in East Texas as of last week
        I'm about to turn dirt and hopefully between August 15th and September 1st we get rain in the forecast that will trigger the broadcast of the Cowpeas, Oats and Clover. I think that I may leave the electric fence up until October 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
          Where are y’all getting the seed?
          Hancock seed company. Online order. They are very helpful and quick ship.

Comment

Anyone testing their soil before planting? And if so, who are you using to test for pH?

Comment

I will be sending off this week. A&M does mine usually

Comment

Quick update on my plot. The 3D electric fence actually works. Red Ripper peas jumped out of the ground and in less than 30 days are over knee high. Most should be waist high when I remove the fence the first week of October. I'll produce a video on start to finish in the next several weeks.

Comment

Can’t wait to see the video. Do you have any pics of the plot as it is now?

Comment

Everybody loves a good pea patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Texbow View Post
                      Quick update on my plot. The 3D electric fence actually works. Red Ripper peas jumped out of the ground and in less than 30 days are over knee high. Most should be waist high when I remove the fence the first week of October. I'll produce a video on start to finish in the next several weeks.
                      This is interesting, I’ve planted peas several times years past mixed with oats and ended up with just stalks from the deer hammering them in the early stages. I had given up on growing peas. Curious to see how how the smaller established plot does after the fence is removed.

Comment

Cowpeas in the winter is unusual. I like the idea but they won't last long with freeze

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Cowpeas in the winter is unusual. I like the idea but they won't last long with freeze
                          .... when do you get first freeze?

Comment

I would love to see the video!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                              This is interesting, I’ve planted peas several times years past mixed with oats and ended up with just stalks from the deer hammering them in the early stages. I had given up on growing peas. Curious to see how how the smaller established plot does after the fence is removed.
                              They could wipe it out fairly quick. My hope is by letting them get near waist high they will last until first frost. If they don't it just tells me I need to plant a larger plot next year. This year is experimental.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                The goal and only goal is to have them as a super attractant during the month of October. You are correct that the first frost will be the end of them. Historically we do not see our first frost until early November. That could change of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X