No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad this thread got started. Need to figure out what to plant this year. Have a small area in our yard that’ll be half vegetables and half for pollinators. My daughter really wants butterflies and bees to visit

Comment

My son is fascinated with planting peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        Glad this thread got started. Need to figure out what to plant this year. Have a small area in our yard that’ll be half vegetables and half for pollinators. My daughter really wants butterflies and bees to visit

I’ve found that zinnias (sp?) are easy to grow and prolific. Butterflies seem to like them where I’m at. Also look at bee balm/bush. Firecracker will attract hummers too.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
          If anyone in dfw know of a cheaper option than 800 to have a dozen yards of good garden mix soil delivered, please let me know.
          Isn't there a place in, (or around) White Settlement, called
          Clear Fork Materials ??
          IDK about their prices..... But you might check...........

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
            I’ve found that zinnias (sp?) are easy to grow and prolific. Butterflies seem to like them where I’m at. Also look at bee balm/bush. Firecracker will attract hummers too.
            Thanks, she’ll be 3 this spring and wasn’t impressed with my garden this year. Every day we had to go down to the corner and watch the bees. I’m also looking at Columbine, bridal wreath spirea and fragrant mimosa

Comment

Pulled a couple of cauliflower heads today. Brocolli did well too. Eating the residual florettes now. Garlic and cilantro doing well. Lettuce and spinach continuing to produce. Bunching onions are out of control. Table onions will go in within the next couple of weeks. Usual cast of characters for spring garden....

Comment

I like gardening.
                Humic and fulvic acid are excellent

Comment

Ive forgotten what all ive started so far lol. Strawberries/cabbage/lavender/coleus/pansies/salvia and others. Some are for the hydroponic garden.
                  We actually have a couple thousand pots/pellets/ and a couple hundred 1020 trays being dropped off tomorrow.

Comment

Recently replanted some wild garlic that I dug from the farm. Starting to get settled in pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      Thanks, she’ll be 3 this spring and wasn’t impressed with my garden this year. Every day we had to go down to the corner and watch the bees. I’m also looking at Columbine, bridal wreath spirea and fragrant mimosa

Go to the dollar store and see if they have zinnias. You could also buy some marigold seed. Cheap and prolific.
                      Young kids are hard on plants so having lots of them helps with the learning curve.

Columbine was hard to grow. I failed.

Butterfly weed is also an option.

If you have room for a climbing vine...try morning glory. Kids like em and you can gather the seed To plant next year. Come in diff colors.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                        For you home gardeners, what a good orange tree to plant in southeast Texas ?
                        There is a tree called Texas Orange or Republic of Texas orange. It’s supposed to be alittle more cold hardy. Think it was developed in Angleton.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                          For you home gardeners, what a good orange tree to plant in southeast Texas ?
                          Google "Panzarella citrus Lake Jackson". Retired fella who has been dabbling in citrus for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                            Google "Panzarella citrus Lake Jackson". Retired fella who has been dabbling in citrus for a long time.
                            I went to the yearly sale at his house last month. He has a amazing garden of citrus trees on his property! Real knowledgeable and nice man!

Comment

Got onions, garlic, a little kale, mustard out the wazoo (volunteers), a molasses tub full of leaf type lettuce of different varieties, another couple molasses tubs of spices and a bunch of rye grass.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                                I went to the yearly sale at his house last month. He has a amazing garden of citrus trees on his property! Real knowledgeable and nice man!
                                He has developed several varieties of citrus and even some stone fruit varieties too. Check him out! He puts on grafting classes too, for those who want to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X