Anyone have a paddle board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a paddle board?

MY wife wants a paddle board, but I have not idea what to look for. Are they all inflatable or are there some solid ones like surfboards? I'd like to get her a good one without braking the bank. Thanks!

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
    MY wife wants a paddle board, but I have not idea what to look for. Are they all inflatable or are there some solid ones like surfboards? I'd like to get her a good one without braking the bank. Thanks!
    They are solid like surfboards or at least the ones I have been on. I have not looked in a few years but they were very expensive. I suggest renting one and make sure it is something she actually likes before you drop some serious coin. Obviously right now I am not sure if renting anything is a good idea. Tell your wife to be prepared to be sore after the first few outings. i consider myself an pretty active person and I was sore the next couple days after the first few trips. You use muscles balancing yourself and paddling that you do not use a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
      We have a couple at the lake house. One is fiberglass (holds less weight but more maneuverable) and one is foam (I call it the paddle barge because it realistically be used by people 200lb and over). I would not recommend either if you have to haul it around. Though I haven't used one myself, that is the whole concept behind inflatable boards. Much easier to haul to the lake.

Comment

i'm a big fan of Bote boards....this is the 12' HD Classic

usually priced about 1100

Comment

I've got two 12 1/2 foot ATX Pioneer boards.They're kind of an entry level,messing around board.Which is all we really do.Man,we use em all the time.It's a ton o fun.If you order one off their website,get ready for the biggest box you've ever seen!lol They package them for battle!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

They are very popular up here. Some take special models in semi- white water.
            Looks like you have a place near Kerrville to help you out: http://paddlekerrville.net/

I would rent one and see what she likes, or doesn't. Cheap gets you what you pay for, like most other things.

Comment

I don't even have the slightest idea what length to get. I'm guessing the 12 footer is not as agile as the 10'6, I'm not sure. Is it kinda like kayaks, the shorter the more agile? I'm also guessing the longer one is more stable. My wife is only 5' 1-1/2" tall, but she's strong as heck.

Comment

Bote is running specials right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  i'm a big fan of Bote boards....this is the 12' HD Classic

usually priced about 1100
                  This right here. Get her the Rover model, that way when she’s not using it you can have a sweet little skiff fishing rig!

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'l take her over to the place in Kerrville for a "day on the river" and see what she likes.

Comment

Checkin in - my suggestion is to go fiberglass and the longer they are the more stable. Wish mine was a foot longer at 10.6 but it’s still fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a Tower paddle board. SOB is huge! Sold the lakehouse and it’s taking up room in my shop. My wife wants to keep it. She likes to store stupid **** in my shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated, definitely go somewhere to rent one for a day to see how she likes it. No question, it's one of those things that looks fun and intriguing, but it's not for everybody and is harder than it looks.

The nicer ones are similar to the fiberglass long-boards in the surfing world and can even be surfed on. My little experience has been the longer and wider = more sturdy, but less maneuverable.

Buy used if possible. Even low-end foam boards are around $500 and the decent fiberglass ones are like $1,000 on up. There's a lot of people that buy these things and never use them. They are tough to transport and most people that own them live somewhere on or close to the water.

Comment

Ditto on the bote boards. I've checked them out a few times, just never pulled the trigger. Paddle boards are a blast to use. I'd also recommend looking at the inflatable bote boards. They are super strong, and much easier to store and haul.

Comment

There are 2 types really:
                              Inflatable design made out of heavy multilayered PVC with dropstitch sewn in the center creating litterly steel beams when inflated to a 12PSI. These are great if you have very limited storage area in your home or vehicle. Fold up and very compact, inflates stiff as a board. Tracks well if you get one with fins on bottom

Solid Design made with milled/molded foam core and the layered with fiberglass outer shell. Lightwight and strong. Track well and can be modified/customized more easily than the inflatable boards.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. They were expensive when the big boom on these happened about 5-6 years ago..but they have have come down drastically the past several years to where you can get a really nice one for $300. I spent many a days in China and Vietnam developing and manufacturing these when they were hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X