Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched the video pretty cool

Comment

We have raised broilers for 10 years for stock show. Putting between 50-100 in the freezer every year. For a large batch you will want a plucker. We have on some years done the gutless method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
        Anyone raise their own meat chickens? What's the difficulty, costs, etc?

I raised broiler for stockshows as a kid. Last year I raised a set using a pasture based method. The cost per bird was around $15.

John Suscovich on you tube has a really good video on his costs to raise meat chickens.

It's not all that difficult, just a daily task. The guy above has several good week by week videos on raising broilers.

Comment

You guys that have done this multiple years in a row do you buy each year or hatch eggs?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Could yall share your butchering/processing techniques
            Yessir. You drive them to the little vietnamese man on Lillja Rd and pay him $3/bird. Worth every penny.

Comment

You raise your own birds Curt

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                You raise your own birds Curt
                Not anymore. My kids raised a bunch for 4H. We'd raise 50 to show 6. We always had our culls processed and we ate a lot of chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  You guys that have done this multiple years in a row do you buy each year or hatch eggs?

Click broilers, then Cornish rock cross.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    Yessir. You drive them to the little vietnamese man on Lillja Rd and pay him $3/bird. Worth every penny.
                    I've arrested a lot if people on lillja over the years. Let me run an address check first.

Comment

I thought about doing it out here

Comment

We put up around 50 a year. I hang them buy their feet and pull skin feathers and all off on 98% of them pluck a few for my wife to roast. Pull the insides keep the gizzards, livers for my Dad. I go ahead and cut them up at that time. I use a big pair of poultry shears to cut the breast off. Sharp knife on the wings and drum stick. I package the wings and and drum sticks in bulk. Breast and thighs 2 to a pack. My daughter timed me and I got to were I can skin, gut, and break down a bird in under 2 minuets.

Comment

Don’t all chickens have meat on them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my favorite threads. Great info in the thread and excellent links.

Comment

CornishX. They will eat a lot, get fat and barely be able to move. These are the best because they will be sooner faster than any other breed. The size these get in 3 months is more than some other chickens will get In a year. We have a bunch of different breeds running around so I kill on average 1-2 younger roosters a week. I never raised Cornish beacause you want those cooped up.

Comment

Ditto on CornishX. Been raising my own for years.

Another thing we do is once they are feathered we put them on clover moving them daily.A trick I learned from Joel Salatin. Fertilizes the pasture and gives the birds diversified diet.

You can see method on youtube.

Comment

Working...
                                X